News | Summit Trip Reports | Partners | Low Point Reports | Dogs
Summary Topics: E-News Archive | Club News | Accidents | Obituaries | Books | Advisories | Site News

Go to Forum Home  

I'll forward information next week...

December 24 1999 at 12:01 PM
  (no login)

Response to Thanks for the Heads Up

I'll be home next week and can check my e-mail and send xerox copies of the article to the appropriate people then. I figure Roger and John would cover the basis of getting the information in the right hands. I'll also write up a 400 words or less summary of information from the article to submit to the newsletter. With more experienced eyes reading the article, perhaps a better determination can be made as to the priority of action or appropriateness of action concerning SC's highpoint.

Yesterday I visited SC & GA's highpoints with my father. Interesting thing about Sassafras Mountain is that the benchmark is not at the highest point on the summit. There are higher areas in the center of the circular drive, but which is the exact SC highpoint wasn't obvious because I didn't know where the stateline crossed.

GA's highpoint was nice with an absolute perfectly clear and sunny day. Great views in all directions. The shuttle doesn't run in the winter but the 0.5 mile walk up the paved path is easy.

I'll need to write Don Holmes. The phone numbers in his book for NC's Mount Mitchell are incorrect. Evidently they changed area codes recently from 704 to 828. The phone numbers on America's Rooff with the 828 area code are correct. The phone numbers in Holmes' book are correct if you just use the 828 area code. I'll have to do NC another time. I called up there last night and they said they were expecting snow this morning, meaning the roads will be closed. No problem. Easy highpoint to get another time.

I'll do Alabama on Monday, bringing my total to 17. Did Mississippi on Saturday and Florida on Sunday. Only lacking a couple of states to complete the Confederacy.

Respond to this message   
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
RSS Feed For This Forum
Privacy Statement | Network54 Terms and Conditions