News | Summit Trip Reports | Partners | Low Point Reports | Dogs
Summary Topics: E-News Archive | Club News | Accidents | Obituaries | Books | Advisories | Site News

Go to Forum Home  

Red Sox Beat Bambino Curse With Everest Summit?

June 20 2001 at 11:51 PM
roger  (no login)

Response to Drugs, Money and Corruption on Everest

Here's an amusing story from the Boston Globe attributing the Boston Red Sox current good fortune to Paul Giorgio who followed the advice of a Tibetan Holy Man and carried a Red Sox cap to the summit to break the "curse of the Bambino" that makes the Sox the heartbreak kids.

Here's a quote from the story:

''At base camp, every team gets its gear blessed by the lama,'' he says. ''Ice axes. Helmets. Personal artifacts. So I brought out the hats and asked the lama how I might break the Curse of the Bambino. I explained that it had to do with an American baseball team that hadn't won a championship since 1918. And the lama smiled and seemed to nod as if he understood what I was talking about. Although who knows?
''It may sound silly,'' Giorgio continues, ''but I know climbers who've been told what kind of child they were going to have, boy or girl, before they left base camp. And these guys hadn't even been told by their wives that they were pregnant. So climbers take this stuff pretty seriously.''
According to Giorgio, the lama instructed him to place the Sox cap next to the chorten, a stone altar where each team burns juniper branches as an offering to the gods. Then Giorgio was told to carry the Sox cap to the summit and plant it there, at 29,028 feet, to reverse the curse.

http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/171/living/The_Sox_are_on_top+.shtml

Of course since I live in New York and am required to find a major error in anything that happens in Boston, the article also includes this paragraph:

Giorgio and his team accomplished another historic feat, too, by finding the remains of Sir Edmund Hillary's highest camp from his 1953 ascent. To elite climbers, the discovery is not unlike locating the remains of the Titanic. In sum, Giorgio is not just some rich guy out on a high-altitude lark.

[Presumably the article should have referred to the discovery of the Mallory high camp]

Still the Yanks are 3 1/2 out now.

Respond to this message   
Responses

Find more forums on Mountain RangesCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
RSS Feed For This Forum
Privacy Statement | Network54 Terms and Conditions