News | Summit Trip Reports | Partners | Low Point Reports | Dogs
Summary Topics: E-News Archive | Club News | Accidents | Obituaries | Books | Advisories | Site News

Go to Forum Home  

September kills the konvention for kids...

August 6 2001 at 10:17 PM

Alan  (Login jaritter)

Response to Oklahoma 2002 Convention Rescheduled to September 18-22

The problem with any meeting at a remote highpoint during the school year is that it makes it essentially impossible for families with children to attend. We made it to the MO convention in September, but we live only a couple of hours away from Taum Sauk (we're in St. Louis) so it was purely a day-trip for us.

The nether reaches of OK are a two-day drive for us and not conveniently reachable by air (unlike New England states, which would also be nice in the fall). That means at least a five-day trip, and all of that travel for just one day at the convention "ain't gonna happen". If you think about which states are within a day's drive of Black Mesa, where are the population centers from which families with kids can still make it? Taum Sauk is within a day of St. Louis, Chicago, Indianapolis, Memphis, Nashville, Louisville, Little Rock, Kansas City, Des Moines, etc. Denver is a long day from Black Mesa, and Colorado Springs is doable. Add Oklahoma City, Kansas City and Santa Fe, and you've hit most of the larger cities around it.

It's unfortunate that a scheduling snafu caused the club to move the date, but wasn't there some other weekend between 6/15 and 8/15 that might have worked?

Highpointing is something that my son and I do together. We had hoped to combine OK with CO and NM and make a week-long summer trip of highpoints plus the convention. If it's in September, we'll rethink our plans and will almost certainly miss the convention.

Oh, well...there will be other chances, but I was looking forward to seeing folks in OK...

Alan Ritter, jar@eng.bausch.com
http://www.mtritter.org

Respond to this message   
Responses

Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
RSS Feed For This Forum
Privacy Statement | Network54 Terms and Conditions