News | Summit Trip Reports | Partners | Low Point Reports | Dogs
Summary Topics: E-News Archive | Club News | Accidents | Obituaries | Books | Advisories | Site News

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Go to Forum Home  

Ted Keizer Seeking to Climb All South 6000 Foot Peaks This Week

June 18 2003 at 9:49 AM
roger  (no login)

An Oregon man who holds speed-climbing records is dashing nearly round-the-clock through the N.C. and Tennessee mountains to climb all the 6,000-foot-plus peaks in one week.

Speed hiker Ted Keizer started at 5:45 a.m. Sunday at the summit of Clingman's Dome in Great Smoky Mountains National Park and, by Tuesday, had bagged 26 of the 40 peaks.
A slender, 155-pound human greyhound, Keizer, 31, hopes to reach the summit of all 40 by week's end. He hikes day and night with 90 minutes of sleep every 24 hours.
Most of the 6,000-footers lie in North Carolina; a few are in Tennessee. Hikers consider it an achievement to reach all the summits; about 100 people have done so, according to the Carolina Mountain Club in Asheville. Most take several years to get all 40. The club and two others in Tennessee sponsor "South Beyond 6000," which Keizer learned of a year or so ago.
http://www.charlotte.com/mld/observer/news/local/6112273.htm

Articles on Forum on Keizer's California and Colorado Fourteener records, Catskill 3500, etc.
http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/search?forumid=3897&more=0&sort=date&searchterm=keizer

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(no login)

4 Days, 23 hours, 28 minutes

June 20 2003, 11:20 PM 

Teddy did it again.

http://www.thecavedog.com/

-dave-

Respond to this message   
Mark S
(no login)

Woof

June 21 2003, 1:52 PM 

Woof woof

Respond to this message   

(no login)

The Story

June 23 2003, 6:10 PM 

Hiker speeds to record
Man hikes 40 area peaks, of 6,000 feet or higher, in less than 5 days
JACK HORAN
Special Correspondent

ROAN MOUNTAIN - In the pre-dawn darkness, the distant light from the headlamp of speed hiker Ted Keizer danced about.

The suspended light moved along the Appalachian Trail on Friday at an increasingly faster rate.

Then Keizer's supporters, who had waited in a chill fog for three hours, realized the Coos Bay, Ore., extreme athlete was sprinting. Running, mind you. Running up a mountain after five days of nearly round-the-clock speed hiking and peak climbing covering 300 miles.

They cheered as Keizer reached the summit of Grassy Ridge, elevation 6,160 feet, and fell into embraces in celebration. He had just established a speed record, from 5:45 a.m. Sunday to 5:13 a.m. Friday, for climbing all 40 peaks in North Carolina and Tennessee with elevations 6,000 feet and higher.

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/sports/outdoors/6143761.htm

Respond to this message   
Mr. Modest
(no login)

All eyes on... me?

June 23 2003, 5:26 PM 

This is a great physical and mental acheivement as were his other adventures, but to dedicate a web site to yourself, contact reporters to do stories about yourself, do an 8-page plus write up about your progress, and then report to the world that you have done this and that you have done that, in time that must be impressive, makes me, and others, think that Cave Dog maybe should be called... Media Hog? The reports of his stories being "inspiring" could be a facade. If we are so inspired by this man, how many will attempt to repeat his marathons, and could all these people not be inspired if they knew not specifically who did it? Some question his shameless acts of self-promotion.

Respond to this message   
steve
(no login)

Re: All eyes on... me?

June 23 2003, 5:38 PM 

my god, what's the matter with you? a guy does something impressive- indeed, he sets a world record, and you have the gall to criticize him for putting up a freakin' web site? get over it. I, for one, am glad that he's a self-promoter - otherwise I wouldn't get to read his site, which I find fascinating.

Respond to this message   

(no login)

Cave Dog Justified...and then some

June 23 2003, 6:06 PM 

I don't really understand your point. There has to be 10 million Americans who have their own websites that relay their personal experiences. All you need to do is look at the highpointers web ring.

If anyone has personal experiences that are interesting and worthy of putting on the internet its Cave Dog. His accomplishments are staggering and deserve whatever publicity they generate.

Also, there is a practical question. Cave Dog's missions are very time intensive. On his website it indicates he's been scouting the south sixers since April. It is a full-time undertaking. Maybe the website will allow him to generate some sponsorship cash and continue with his incredible achievements.

He's certainly a lot more worthy of sponsorship than most.

Respond to this message   
Mark S
(no login)

I repeat ... woof

June 23 2003, 9:18 PM 

I agree with the above posts. Also, Keizer could not have accomplished all the speed records that he has as a one man show. His team is as much an integral part of his success as are his own talents. As much as anything else, his website is dedicated to pumping up members of the Dog Team.

He is of a different mentality than the average Joe and I think many of us who love the outdoors envy CaveDog to one extent or another. How great it must be to not only have the talent to do what he's done, but also the backing of others as well as the time and money. Yes, he may be a bit of a self-promoter, but he has definitely created something special.

Respond to this message   
Jon M
(no login)

Re: I repeat ... woof

June 24 2003, 11:34 AM 

Personally, I don't see what this guy is doing has anything to do with outdoor activity - he might as well be doing a 4 day indoor marathon.
I dislike these type of speed attempts - running/jogging on trails that are meant for hiking.

Respond to this message   
steven tursi
(no login)

Re: Re: I repeat ... woof

June 24 2003, 1:52 PM 

wow. i've amazed at the arrogant intolerance i'm seeing here.. this takes the cake. don't take this personally, but you're totally clueless - and it's easy for you to say stuff like that and hide behind the anonimity of the internet.

to address your point directly, ever hear of trail running? people do it. it's an awesome sport.

you know, streets are made for cars. but we don't criticize people for riding their bicycles, jogging, walking, or hiking on streets.

mountain bike trails are made for mountain bikes. i've never heard a mountain biker criticize hikers for hiking on their trails.

the internet was made for research, not for posting on message boards about hiking. what we're doing right now is contrary to the purpose of the internet. where's the criticism?

ski areas are made for skiing. there are skiers who criticize snowboarders for riding on their trails. I don't hang out with them, they're stuck up and clueless. (I'm formerly ski patrol. as a skier.)

I could go on and on, but you get the point. I just don't understand you people... how can you so vigorously defend yourselves against people who don't see the point of highpointing, but then criticize a person for trail running?? the guy has goals, and he completes them. his goals are to complete highpoints in a region in as short a time as possible. our goal is to complete as many U.S. (or other) highpoints as possible. yet what we do is fine, and what he does isn't? come on...

Respond to this message   

(no login)

Except....

June 24 2003, 1:58 PM 

Except that his "4 day indoor marathon" required nearly 25 percent more than four days, was not indoors, and covered nearly four times the distance of a standard marathon.

While you may have come to believe that the trails are solely for hiking, nothing in the regulations prevents recreationists from jogging, running, skiing, skipping, snowshoeing, hopping, or partaking in many other pursuits of happiness. Mountain running is a growing sport. There are even national and international championships. Like highpointing, mountain running offers participants the opportunity to challenge and push themselves to accomplish something they would not otherwise.

If you don't care for mountain running, then don't participate in mountain running. It is somewhat condescending to think that others should avoid running merely because you don't like to run.

This man spent less than five days on the trail while accomplishing his feat and really did very little to detract from anyone else's pleasure. Much of his endeavor was accomplished after dark when few, if any, people were affected by his actions. What possible reason would any normal person have for being upset by it?

Respond to this message   
Donnie
(no login)

No way

June 24 2003, 7:43 AM 

This guy can promote all he wants. Great job dog!!!

Respond to this message   

(Login NC_Joeman)

Re: All eyes on... me?

July 6 2004, 2:15 PM 

I have no problem with Cavedog's self promotion. All the guy wants is someone to recognize his accomplishments with SPONSORSHIP...... Then he will be able to live a life some of only dream of full time. How will he ever be able to afford cave puppies?

Respond to this message   
roger
(no login)

Next Keizer Feat: Breaking the 4 Day 15 Hours for Hiking Vermont Long Trail

June 30 2003, 9:10 AM 

Despite almost continuous rain and fog, Keizer managed to run and hike approximately 60 miles a day for a total distance of 300 miles over the 40 peaks.
During his three months of training for the trail run, Keizer base-camped in Asheville, N.C. To prepare for the challenge, he hiked the whole course and climbed to the summit of each peak several times. This strategy allowed him to navigate the trails from memory and without having to rely on a map or GPS system.
He said he next wants to break the current record of 4 days and 15 hours for running the 272-mile Long Trail along the spine of the Green Mountains the full length of Vermont.
http://www.tcpalm.com/tcp/nation_world_news/article/0,1651,TCP_1022_2066288,00.html

Respond to this message   

(no login)

Some quick calculations

June 30 2003, 10:05 PM 

272 miles in 4 days, 15 hours. Hmmm...

Hiking nonstop over the 111 hour period, he'd have to average 2.45 miles an hour to complete on time. If he rested for four hours after every 20-hour hike (which is more rest than he usually takes), he'd have to average 2.86 miles an hour while he was hiking.

Whatever this guy is on, I need to get some for myself!

Respond to this message   
roger
(no login)

Keizer Begins Long Trail Record Attempt

August 7 2003, 11:35 AM 

Ted Keizer, 32, a Coos Bay native, plans to start on Thursday morning and hike 59 miles a day in his race down the length of the state from Canada to Massachusetts.
He hopes to beat the record of four days, 15 hours and 19 minutes set by a Connecticut ultra-distance runner in 2000.
An Oregon man will try to hike the Long Trail in record time.
The hiker, who said he is "independently poor," has worked many odd jobs between outdoor adventures in the past nine years.
He's been an ambulance driver, hot-air balloon pilot and moving man.
On Thursday Keizer will be in a different gear as he tries to cover 59 miles a day, alternating between a fast hike and a slow jog.
"It's all business," he said. "It's total focus and non-stop intensity for 4 1/2 days."
Keizer invited those who want to follow his hike or meet him on the Long Trail to follow his progress at http://www.thedogteam.com
http://www.katu.com/outdoor/story.asp?ID=59711

Respond to this message   
roger
(no login)

Bad Weather and Exhaustion Thwart Long Trail Attempt

August 12 2003, 10:53 AM 

An Oregon man has quit his bid to break the speed record for hiking Vermont's Long Trail.
Ted "Cave Dog" Keizer, a Coos Bay native, started out Thursday morning intending to hike 59 miles a day in his race down the length of Vermont from Canada to Massachusetts. He quit Monday night just 17 miles short of his goal in southern Vermont. He blamed bad weather and exhaustion.
Keizer, 32, had been hoping to beat the record of four days, 15 hours and 19 minutes set by a Connecticut ultra-distance runner in 2000.

When he set out, he said he would forego sleep during his 272-mile hike, except for one 90-minute nap per day.
http://www.thechamplainchannel.com/news/2399271/detail.html

Respond to this message   
Mark S
(no login)

Ted's NH 4K record falls ...

July 11 2003, 9:42 PM 

A dude named Tim Seaver from Calais, Vt. has eclipsed Cave Dog's 2002 record for climbing the New Hampshire 4000 foot mountains. The new record time was set this week and now stands at 3 days, 15 hours and 51 minutes. There is a long thread on this on www.viewsfromthetop.com in which both Seaver and Cave Dog have exchanged pleasantries. As impressive as their incredible hiking prowess is their sense of sportsmanship. Congrats to the new top dog of the White Mountains.

Respond to this message   

(no login)

Article

August 7 2003, 2:32 PM 

Respond to this message   

(Login dipper)
Forum Owner

Keizer Seeks to Break Ed Kostak's 273 Mile Long Trail Record of 4 Day 15 Hours 19 Minutes

June 19 2004, 6:22 PM 

Ted E. Keizer is trying again: Next week he will attempt to better the speed record for hiking the 273-mile Long Trail, a mark of four days, 15 hours and 19 minutes established four years ago by Connecticut's Ed Kostak.
"This is all about fun and adventure and being with friends," Keizer said. "It's not about a crazy mania. It's about pushing the limits. Definitely, it's an extreme sport, but it's not meant to be some sort of obsession."
Keizer and his support crew of friends and family -- each sporting a canine alias and collectively known as "the Dog Team" -- swung and missed at the Long Trail record last summer. A series of pitfalls combined to sabotage the attempt and leave Keizer hallucinating and babbling incoherently 17 miles shy of the Massachusetts state line.
"We had an enormous amount of unfortunate circumstances, many unforeseeable," Keizer said. "It was pretty much a disaster."
A standing front that baffled even the Weather Channel's anchormen soaked the state during the entire week of the attempt. The phones went out at one of the team's base camps, cutting off communication between support crews, and the main support van broke down. An expedition meticulously planned down to the last minute, mile, pound and calorie unraveled in the August rain.
http://www.projo.com/ap/ne/1087570466.htm

Respond to this message   
roger
(Login dipper)
Forum Owner

Bear and Lack of Sleep Doesn't Prevent Keizer From Being 4 Hours Ahead of Schedule

June 25 2004, 9:56 PM 

A man trying to hike his way into the history books was way ahead of the game Thursday night.

Ted Keizer, also known as "Cave Dog," is hiking Vermont's Long Trail, and was four hours ahead of the record Thursday night.

The Long Trail runs the length of Vermont from Quebec to Massachusetts.

The Oregon man arrived on Duxbury Road outside of Jonesville at about quarter of one.

"Cave Dog" ran into a bear and said he is having trouble sleeping.

"It's all gone pretty well," Keizer said. "I was pretty sleepy this morning, but otherwise, it has gone really well."

At a recent stop in Jonesville, Keizer's support team gave him food, and a new pair of shoes and put Vaseline on his feet, before sending him back into the woods.
http://www.thechamplainchannel.com/news/3460209/detail.html

Respond to this message   

(Login MohamedEllozy)

4 days, 13 hours, 15 minutes!

June 27 2004, 9:20 PM 

Cavedog ended his LT quest at 5:30 PM on 6/27/2004, doing the trail in 4 days, 13 hours, 15 minutes. See his Long Trail Times 2004 page.

Respond to this message   
patrick craft
(Login patrickcraft)

work

June 25 2004, 11:34 PM 

Does anyone know how the Cave dog finances his hikes? Is he independently wealthy? Does he sell t-shirts? Does he need a DR on retainer?

Respond to this message   

(Login stevetursi)

cavedog

June 26 2004, 12:07 AM 

there was an article out a few months ago about him - i wish i could remember where i found it. the bottom line is that he is not independently wealthy - he has been trying, unsuccessfully, to find a corporate-type sponsor. there are a lot more details, but my memory is so fuzzy that what I could say probably wouldn't even be accurate. so i'll just leave it at that. (:

steve

p.s. i admire the hell out of the guy.

Respond to this message   

Mark S
(Login MarkStyczynski)

Re: cavedog

June 26 2004, 1:13 PM 

I'm pretty sure it was in the issue of Backpacker that had the first installment of Highpoints (June, 2004). I read it too ... good article, different kind of guy. Very cool.

Respond to this message   

(Login stevetursi)

Re: cavedog

June 26 2004, 1:16 PM 

One thing that I do remember from that article - I was really impressed with the fact that in addition to being an amazing athlete, he is also amazing intellectually.

and, going to his web site, it looks like he's finally secured a sponsor: http://www.golite.com/team/athletes/cave_dog/index.asp#
Good for him!!

Respond to this message   
roger
(Login dipper)
Forum Owner

Textbook Proofreader for Houghton Mifflin

June 28 2004, 4:37 PM 

He funds his record-attempts by working all winter as a proofreader for Houghton Mifflin, doing the math in high-school textbooks before they are published.
http://www.kgw.com/sharedcontent/APStories/stories/D83G32FG0.html

Respond to this message   
roger
(Login dipper)
Forum Owner

Keizer Does Long Trail in Record 4 Days 13 Hours 15 Minutes

June 28 2004, 4:35 PM 

An Oregon man has broken the speed hiking record for the 273-mile Long Trail, which stretches from one end of Vermont to the other.
Ted Keizer of Coos Bay completed the 273-mile hike from the Canadian border to the Massachusetts border in four days, 13 hours and 15 minutes, hiking almost continuously and mostly alone.
He broke the mark of four days, 15 hours, and 19 minutes established four years ago by Connecticut's Ed Kostak.
"This is all about fun and adventure and being with friends," Keizer said, before starting off on his marathon speed hike. "It's not about a crazy mania. It's about pushing the limits. Definitely, it's an extreme sport, but it's not meant to be some sort of obsession."
Keizer and his support crew of friends and family — each sporting a canine alias and collectively known as "the Dog Team" — swung and missed at the Long Trail record last summer. Bad weather and technology breakdowns combined to sabotage the attempt and leave Keizer hallucinating and babbling incoherently 17 miles shy of the Massachusetts state line.
Keizer owns speed-hiking records around the country. He climbed the 46 Adirondack "High Peaks" in three days, 18 hours and 14 minutes. He climbed all 55 peaks over 14,000 feet in Colorado in 10 days, 20 hours and 26 minutes. Last June, he covered 303 miles and 40 peaks over 6,000 feet in the Southern Appalachians in just under five days.
He funds his record-attempts by working all winter as a proofreader for Houghton Mifflin, doing the math in high-school textbooks before they are published.
http://www.kgw.com/sharedcontent/APStories/stories/D83G32FG0.html

Respond to this message   

Anonymous
(Login Willis0612)

Re: Keizer Does Long Trail in Record 4 Days 13 Hours 15 Minutes

July 15 2004, 7:25 PM 

my sons,

The main man himself, CAVE DOG was featured in the July copy of Runner's World mag (my other passion besides HP'ing is running marathrons). From the running/conditioning perspective, Mr. Keiser is da man, running up to 3 hrs a day just in practice for his outlandish extensions. On his great adventures he sleeps little and runs at a pace to be reckoned with!

Clearly Cave Dog isn't in it for the hoopla: there's no victory lap, talk show gigs, prize money, trophies, endorsements, book deals, etc. If the press shows up, it's usually just a local TV station or the town paper. He rarely has called the press himself. In fact, probably the most exposure he's had was a front-page appearance in the Aspen, CO paper & this Runner's World article.

For all those who have spoken ill about the respectable, commendable CAVE DOG, let me tell you with all of my being that He has deserved what little attention he has received! Speaking as a marathon runner and HPer, I am not fit to carry a bag full of His dirty jockstraps, and someday I hope to be 1/16th of the man He is. CAVE DOG is The Man, I can only hope maybe someday to be a Deputy Dog to the great & omnipotent CAVE DOG.

CAVE DOG, we beseech thee! oh yea!

Respond to this message   

Willis
(Login Willis0612)

Really? He was in the July Edition of Runner's World?

July 15 2004, 7:27 PM 

I just posted this to bring attention to my last post. I mistakenly didn't enter my name or put a message title on it.

Respond to this message   
roger
(Login dipper)
Forum Owner

Ted Keizer to Attempt 50 km Hikes in 50 States in 74 Days

September 15 2005, 4:47 PM 

Ted Keizer is seeking Duofold Hike 50 challenge, trekking 50 kilometers (about 31 miles) in 50 states within 100 days

Keizer started on Sept. 15 in Oregon and hopes to complete on Nov. 28 in the Adirondacks (74 Days). More details on his webpage.

We have extensively covered his records on our forum.
http://americasroof.com/wp/archives/2005/09/15/452/

Respond to this message   

Mark S
(Login MarkStyczynski)

Adirondacks

September 15 2005, 5:49 PM 

I wish him the best of luck, but his New York agenda is pretty crazy. He's looking at something like 13,800 elevation gain for a single day in NOVEMBER. Hopefully, the weather cooperates or he's screwed.

Respond to this message   

(Login roy_wallen)

Cave Dog in local news

October 9 2005, 6:59 PM 

An Associated Press article by Anne M. Peterson appears in today's (October 9th) edition of the San Diego Union-Tribune. The article mentions his record on the Long Trail, the South Beyond 6000, the ADK 46ers, and the Catskill 35s.

Respond to this message   

Mark S
(Login MarkStyczynski)

Cave Dog eyes big New York Finish - 11/28

November 27 2005, 4:02 PM 

Well, it looks like it's come down to a seemingly impossible New York Adirondacks finish for Keizer on Monday 11/28. Thanks to some recent snow and cold weather, Ted will have to compete with lots of snow and ice on an already difficult (understatement) hike featuring 13,600 feet of elevation gain over 30-plus miles. According to his website, he will modify his plans if the task proves too impossible. Wishing him all the best ... and OLN will be showing snippets from the whole challenge on Dec 7, 14 and 21.

Keizer is the record-holder for speed-climbing all 46 Adirondack 4000-foot peaks.

Respond to this message   

Mark S
(Login MarkStyczynski)

Cave Dog stymied by conditions

November 29 2005, 4:50 PM 

Well, Ted Keizer finished the Duofold 50 with a 50K hike in the Adirondacks, but the famous Marshall route that he had aspired to proved too tricky in the dark and ice. The descent from Saddleback to Basin was just way too impossible in yesterday's conditions.

A good account of the day's events can be found in the below link:

http://www.viewsfromthetop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10346

Congrats to CaveDog on a most excellent adventure and a sporting try at an epic hike!!!

Respond to this message   

Mark S
(Login MarkStyczynski)

Not a criticism, just an observation

November 30 2005, 6:10 PM 

After wathcing the National Media saturation of Keizer's completion of the Duofold 50 today (Sportscenter Plays of the Day, USA Today, all local papers in my area), I must say I have some conflicting feelings.

On one hand, it is immensely cool that Keizer is receiving the recognition that he deserves ... he has been doing some really ORIGINAL things for several years now. Just look at the history of this thread.

Conversely, I can't help but think of the 300 or so folks that thru-hike the Appalachian Trail every year (600 more hiking miles than the Duofold 50) in complete annonymity while carrying their lives on their backs. No support teams, no corporate sponsorship, no OLN specials. I suppose it has something to do with the spirit of amatuerism that connects many outdoor-types but was certainly lacking in this venture. One thing is for sure ... this was certainly the most celebrated climb of the kiddy Mount Jo in history.

Anyone else want to ring in with observations?

Respond to this message   
-adam
(Login amcfarre)

observations

December 1 2005, 8:41 AM 

>On one hand, it is immensely cool that Keizer is receiving the recognition that he deserves ... he has been doing some really ORIGINAL things for several years now. Just look at the history of this thread.

I'm not sure that anything CaveDog has done before could be called "original". CO 14'ers, Southern 6000'ers, Catskills, ADK 46'ers, Barkley, VT's Long Trail - all were done before. He took on those challenges with defined rules and established speed records and broke those records.

Completing Bob Marshall's 30 mile day hikes in all the states goal is something that hadn't been done before as far as anyone knows.

I do grant that his previous challenges were likely much more physically tasking and challenging from an endurance perspective. Just what the 50-50 challenge means is hard to quantify since it hasn't been done before. Maybe other speed hikers will take it as a challenge to break this record, or maybe outdoor enthusiasts will take it as a challenge to visit all 50 states [much the way we highpointers do] and see the beauty in each.

So we can hope all the publicity has helped inspire so people to get and enjoy the outdoors.

I joined Ted for his hike in Indiana (in fact, I helped him out with maps and logistics and picking the route before he started his trip around the US). I understand that Duofold pretty much came to him looking for ideas to celebrate their 100th anniversary. I'm sure if we could swing the time off, we'd both jump at the chance to travel the US and hike in some of the most scenic areas in the country partly financed by a major corporate entity.

From our conversations, I know Ted still has his eye on bigger and grander goals more in line with his previous challenges. Some of those goals will definitely require funds, ie corporate sponsors, so maybe this relationship will Duofold will allow him to challenge more speed records.

BTW, CaveDog and I had a long conversation about high points, he's done at least 12 and mentioned that he hoped to pick up some on the side during the Duofold challenge if possible. And he said he might like to complete the "49 lowest", he didn't seem interested in attempting Denali ever.

-adam aka HoosierDog

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Ted Keizer Seeking to Climb All South 6000 Foot Peaks This Week
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Go to Forum Home  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
RSS Feed For This Forum
Privacy Statement | Network54 Terms and Conditions