News | Summit Trip Reports | Partners | Low Point Reports | Dogs
Summary Topics: E-News Archive | Club News | Accidents | Obituaries | Books | Advisories | Site News

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Go to Forum Home  

National Parks highpoint book?

November 2 2005 at 3:57 PM
  (Login scunniff)

I remember reading somewhere that some highpointers, perhaps John Mitchler was among them, were writting a guidebook to the NP highpoints. I was wondering if anyone can report on the progress of that project and when the book may be ready for publication.

Thanks

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Rex
(Login boarderex)

Re: National Parks highpoint book?

November 2 2005, 4:58 PM 

I believe the Winger's and Gerry Roach are collaborating on a book of NP highpoints. Is that correct Diane?

Respond to this message   

(Login JohnMx)

Parkpointers Rejoice: National Park guidebook in 2006

November 3 2005, 2:53 PM 

Dave Covill, Gerry Roach, and myself are finishing the chapters for a long-anticipated guidebook which describes the highest points of all 58 national parks. I'm unsure at this time if we'll also include the 6 ex-national parks or the 3 pending national parks.

In addition to gathering key information, we are also field checking/testing our chapters, so if anyone would like to participate in this, please email or phone me. Also, we will gladly accept good photos of park highpoints.

In recoginition of an early thread on this Forum, I must say that guidebook writing is entirely a labor of love, as the Wingers have testified. And when you split your ninety cent commission 3-ways, it gets down right bankrupt. But fun. If I worked a second job I could write two guidebooks!

So far this year I've visited Voyagers in MN (snowmobile to HP), Mammoth Cave in KY, Yosemite in CA, and Kenai Fjords in AK. My trip to Scotland bit deep into my parkpointing time. I still have 2005 intentions for Petrified Forest in AZ and Biscayne in FL. Dave & Gerry are doing their own circuit through the parks, so that we have them all covered before publication.

- John M.

Respond to this message   
surgent
(Login surgent)

Petrified Forest NP

November 3 2005, 3:45 PM 

John- let me know when you plan to hike the Petrified Forest HP. I am interested too, maybe we can hook up. I plan to hike Mica Mtn in Saguaro NP soon so I could field check that one for you if need be. Scott - bacsas at yahoo dot com.

Respond to this message   

(Login JohnMx)

"pefo" it is!

November 4 2005, 12:52 PM 

I can send you a SAGU chapter to check out... When are you going?

Will you be around Thanksgiving week. We can do PEFO as a day hike, but must start/end in dark.

- john m

Respond to this message   
surgent
(Login surgent)

Pefo, t-g wkend,

November 4 2005, 3:01 PM 

John- send me an email bacsas@yahoo and we'll discuss. I may be able to join you. Been wanting to hike this one awhile now.

Respond to this message   

(Login Olav968)

Saguaro highpoint

November 15 2005, 9:58 AM 

I climbed (hiked) Mt. Mica a few years ago as part of my casual NP highpointing. It is avery easy hike from Manning Camp (permit required), in fact the highpoint is just off the Arizona Trail. There was a firetower, no longer there, but the concrete supports remain. The summit itself is forested, but there are some good views from nearby open areas.

Ray A

Respond to this message   

(Login scunniff)

Publisher?

November 3 2005, 8:06 PM 

Thanks for writing the book, I've been looking forward to it. By the way, who is the publisher?

Respond to this message   

(Login JohnMx)

http://www.fulcrum-books.com/client/home.cfm

November 4 2005, 12:51 PM 

Check out their many off-beat and interesting titles!

Respond to this message   

(Login Deezdeez)

National Parks Trivia...

November 5 2005, 5:05 PM 

congrats on the book deal y'all!

mr john m., you casually mentioned that there are 6 ex-national parks. i have been racking my brains trying to think of what they are. in fact, i have often wondered if our exquisite park service has dropped any NP's from its list of beautiful lands. does anyone know what the six are?

Respond to this message   

(Login JohnMx)

wrack no more...

November 7 2005, 2:07 PM 

The most famous one is General Grant National Park, which became part of Kings Canyon NP. This is not to be confused with the General Grant National Memorial in NY. http://www.nps.gov/seki/index.htm

Platt NP in OK was demoted down to a national rec area. http://www.nps.gov/chic/index.htm

Mackinack Island was a very early NP, but is not part of the NPS now. http://www.nps.gov/crla/brochures/nps.htm

Ft. McHenry was once a NP but is now a Nat Monument. http://www.nps.gov/fomc/index.htm

A 5th extinct NP was in ND and called Sullys Hill NP, but is now a game preserve operated by the USFS. http://www.fws.gov/sullyshill/

At some point we believed Casa Grande in AZ was a 6th extinct NP, but we haven't been able to confirm that.

Respond to this message   

(Login JohnMx)

#6 extinct national park...

November 7 2005, 2:14 PM 

OOps. Forgot to list Abraham Lincoln NP in KY as the 6th extinct NP. http://www.nps.gov/abli/

It is interesting to note that the NPS uses "Lincoln" and "Abraham Lincoln" for some of its sites regarding the 16th president.

Respond to this message   

(Login SteveGruhn)

Sullys Hill

November 7 2005, 3:04 PM 

So, is Sullys Hill managed by the U.S. Forest Service (as you say above) or by the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service (as Ken Akerman says below)?

Respond to this message   

(Login JohnMx)

FS v. FWS; non-NPS

November 9 2005, 11:47 AM 

I wrote USFS, but the URL clearly has FWS. Oops.

Speaking of non-NPS land, I believe that the National Park of American Samoa is leased, not owned, by the NPS.

Respond to this message   

(Login SteveGruhn)

Leased Park

November 9 2005, 1:26 PM 

It strikes me as a little unusual that the NPS has leased land for a national park. Do you know who the landowner is?

Respond to this message   
-adam
(Login amcfarre)

Lands owned by villages

November 9 2005, 2:12 PM 

"All of the lands are leased from the respective villages."

"Communal Ownership

The National Park of American Samoa is unusual in many respects. First, it doesn't include any federally-owned lands. Parklands are leased from native villages and from the American Samoa Government. Since Samoan law prohibits the sale of communal land, the National Park Service had to negotiate with traditional high chiefs, who represented the village land owners, which parts of the islands to include in the park. (A 50-year lease was signed in 1993.) As Governor AP Lutali noted in 1995, "We are not only preserving the forest, the animals, the shoreline and reefs, but we can have an interactive park that assists in the preservation of Samoan life and culture." Today the NPS leases 9,000-acres from the eight villages that comprise the park and works closely with village councils to develop and implement park regulations and programs."

from: http://usparks.about.com/library/weekly/aa020301.htm

-adam

Respond to this message   

(Login rogerac)

Leased Federal Land

November 17 2005, 6:47 PM 

I spent 7 yrs. 7 mo. working at a NOAA (US Dept. of Commerce) climatic observatory in Amerika Samoa. It was located on Laugae Ridge and Cape Matatula on the E. end of Tutuila, the main island. The same deal: the Feds couldn't purchase the land, they had to lease it from Chief Iuli Togi of Tula Village down the road; I think it was communal land, much of it a coconut plantation. He died during my tenure; I suppose the property is now leased from his heirs.

URL: http://www.cmdl.noaa.gov/obop/smo/ They got hit by a cyclone; we had 2.

Respond to this message   

(Login JohnMx)

pending parks

November 7 2005, 2:10 PM 

If anyone knows of "pending" national parks, please let me know.

We hear a lot of talk about Northwoods NP in ME, Glen Canyon NP in UT/AZ, Sonoran Desert NP in AZ, and Blackwater Canyon NP in NC. Google can fetch much info if you're interested.

Respond to this message   
patrick craft
(Login patrickcraft)

Blackwater Canyon

November 9 2005, 7:03 PM 

Isn't this in WVA? I though I knew NC pretty well and I've never heard of Blackwater Canyon in NC

Respond to this message   

(Login Hojo76014)

Blackwater Falls, WV

November 9 2005, 11:33 PM 

Blackwater Falls, WV is very near Backbone Mountain, Maryland

Respond to this message   

(Login JohnMx)

Yes - Blackwater WV, not NC; link shows Backbone windmills

November 10 2005, 12:11 PM 

The web site for Blackwater shows windmills on Blackbone Ridge. Is this better than Arctic drilling?

http://www.saveblackwater.org/chronology_page.htm

Respond to this message   

(Login JohnMx)

name changes

November 7 2005, 2:11 PM 

Acadia was once called Lafayette National Park. Do you know of any other name changes for national parks?

North Cascades was suppose to be called Ice Peaks NP, or something similar.

Respond to this message   

(Login SteveGruhn)

The Obvious One

November 7 2005, 3:02 PM 

I'll go out on a limb and state the most obvious one that has changed a name: Mount McKinley National Park is now Denali National Park and Preserve.

Respond to this message   

(Login KenAkerman)

Platt National Park in Oklahoma, 1906-1976

November 7 2005, 2:19 PM 

One example of a former National Park is Platt National Park in Oklahoma, established in 1906. Its National Park designation was repealed in 1976 and the land was incorporated into Chickasaw National Recreation Area.

The size of Platt National Park was only 842 acres (about 1.3 sq. mi.), so its small size was a likely reason why its National Park designation was repealed and its land incorporated into a larger National Recreation Area.

This website gives another example, Sullys Hill National Park in North Dakota, established in 1904 by President Theodore Roosevelt. This land is now managed by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.

Ken Akerman

Respond to this message   
surgent
(Login surgent)

NP handbook from 1927

November 7 2005, 10:54 PM 

My wife and I found a neat little handbook 60 pages long published in 1927 by the US DOI. It lists the then 19 National Parks. Here are some highlights:

Hot Springs NP in Arkansas predates Yellowstone, created in 1832 (Yellowstone in 1872). I always thought Yellowstopne was the first NP created; maybe Hot Springs was designated something else then absorbed into the system later on? Were they even thinking of National Parks in 1832?

(Related to other points in this thread, seems Hot Springs, at 1.5 sq miles, should go the way of Sullys and Platt, sort of an anachronism these days and nothing more)

Hawaii National Park is listed as one NP, including the volcanoes of Mauna Loa, Kea and Haleakala.

Its listings of National Monuments includes Casa Grande - no mention of it as a NP earlier than 1927. Many listed later became NP. Many still exist as NMs, and some seemed to have simply disppeared, absorbed into some other unit, such as Fossil Cycad NM in South Dakota, Olk Kassan in AK, Verendrye in ND...

Respond to this message   

(Login JohnMx)

Hot Springs Reservation

November 8 2005, 10:18 PM 

Back in 1832, Hot Springs became a "reservation" whatever that is. In 1921 it became a NP.

http://www.nps.gov/hosp/index.htm

Respond to this message   

(Login kozesq)

Backpacker special issue on National Parks

December 14 2005, 10:29 PM 

Just received a "special collector's edition" of Backpacker in the mail today devoted to the National Parks. Looks interesting.

Respond to this message   

(Login JohnMx)

just did Biscayne & Dry Tortugas; who's interested in Glacier & Yellowstone?

December 19 2005, 6:08 PM 

This past week I visited the highpoints of Dry Tortugas NP and Biscayne NP (10' and 9' respectively). These are located on offshore keys in southern Florida.

Wife Kathy and friend Gerry Roach visited these summits with me. Gerry didn't bring his GPS, but was very good at reckoning the proper direction in the dense thickets of Biscayne's keys.

I'd like to visit Mt. Cleveland in Glacier NP (MT) and Eagle Peak in Yellowstone (WY). Anyone interested can email me.

Respond to this message   
Scott Patterson
(Login ScottPatterson)

Re: just did Biscayne & Dry Tortugas; who's interested in Glacier & Yellowstone?

December 19 2005, 6:55 PM 

I am interested in those peaks.

I'm also doing Arches HP on Christmas Day, if anyone is interested.

Respond to this message   

Ben Knorr
(Login nebben)

Glacier NP

December 27 2005, 6:18 PM 

Cleveland is on my list for sure. Possibly this summer?

-ben

Respond to this message   

(Login ScottPatterson)

Maybe

December 29 2005, 1:44 PM 

It might work out this summer. Just shoot me an email if you have plans.

Respond to this message   

(Login JohnMx)

How Hot Are The National Parks? Burning....

December 27 2005, 1:34 PM 

Noted film producer and director, Ken Burns, is preparing a 5-part television series covering 50 of the 58 national parks. Ken did the series covering Baseball, Civil War, Jazz, etc.

Respond to this message   

(Login ScottPatterson)

Arches National Park.

December 29 2005, 1:54 PM 

If anyone is interested, I have made a little webpage on reaching the highpoint in Arches National Park. Link is below:

Elephant Butte

Respond to this message   

(Login JohnMx)

Very Nice! Similar photo :-)

December 30 2005, 11:07 AM 

Your writeup of Elephant Butte is very nice.

Your "straddle-the-pool" photo made me smile. See the similar photo of me doing that trick by going to www.cohp.org, select national parks, go to Arches, and view the photos.

Respond to this message   

(Login rogerac)

LaSals

December 30 2005, 9:55 PM 

I haven't been to this park (did visit Bryce; due to bad weather, didn't hike down through the "voodoos", did hike through the bristlecones at the end <the th'storm & snow broke) but enjoyed the view of the La Sal Mts. in one picture. I've climbed 3, S. Mt., Tukunikivats & Mt. Peale, from a camp at Medicine Lake. Couldn't tell which was which from the picture. Didn't get to Mellenthin which was too far.

Roger Williams, Boulder, Colorado.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - National Parks highpoint book?
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Go to Forum Home  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
RSS Feed For This Forum
Privacy Statement | Network54 Terms and Conditions