News | Summit Trip Reports | Partners | Low Point Reports | Dogs
Summary Topics: E-News Archive | Club News | Accidents | Obituaries | Books | Advisories | Site News

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Go to Forum Home  

Bridge out on SC approach to Sassafras Mtn.

November 16 2005 at 3:14 PM
Josh Spooner  (Login JerimothHill)

Just returned from a trip to South Carolina where the wife and I both picked up HP #25. While the weather was fine, the trip was not without issue.

There was a bridge out on US-178 less than a mile north of its intersection with the Cherokee Foothills National Scenic Highway (SC-11). This road was the usual approach to Rocky Bottom and the road to Sassafras mountain mentioned in the Holmes and Zumwalt books. With no obvious way around, we had to retreat back on SC-11 north to US-276 north, which we followed into North Carolina to the town of Brevard, where we turned onto US-64 west until we picked up the other end of US-178 near the town of Rosman. From there we headed south to Rocky Bottom.

While the alternate route was quite scenic, it did end up adding about 2 hours of driving round-trip. Beware and be aware!

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
patrick craft
(Login patrickcraft)

?bypass

November 18 2005, 10:46 AM 

If the bridge is only a mile, can you go east on SC11 to Sunset, then CR 118 back over to 176? Or even past Sunset to SSR 100 road up along the Estatoe river if bridge up past US176/CR118? (This is in Delormes Atlas.)

see http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=34.9882&lon=-82.7826&datum=nad83

Respond to this message   
Josh Spooner
(Login JerimothHill)

?bypass

November 28 2005, 7:01 PM 

Yeah- that would have worked. Wish I had a detailed map of the area with me at the time!

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Bridge out on SC approach to Sassafras Mtn.
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Go to Forum Home  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
RSS Feed For This Forum
Privacy Statement | Network54 Terms and Conditions