News | Summit Trip Reports | Partners | Low Point Reports | Dogs
Summary Topics: E-News Archive | Club News | Accidents | Obituaries | Books | Advisories | Site News

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Go to Forum Home  

The annual HP thread

December 12 2005 at 1:37 AM
markv  (Login markvotapek)

I've held off as long as i can, but it's time for the annual...

Which highpoints did you do in 2005? and What are your highpoint goals for 2006? thread.

As for me, despite being a gazillion miles away from it all, i managed on various trips back to the mainland to do SC, NC, AL, NJ, MA, VA, KY, and a repeat of VT to bring my total to 33. All of them were beautiful in their own way, but a couple of dramatic and fun county highpoints in Haleakala and Mt. Thielsen were my real highpointlights. (highlightpoints?) WY eluded me.

For 2006, it's all up in the air, but i really have high hopes to finally do the John Muir Trail, hitting some CA 14ers and ending atop Whitney. Also, i'm itching to return to my two un-summits, AZ and WY.

happy highpointing!

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Alan Ritter
(Login jaritter)

None, Darn it...

December 12 2005, 8:47 AM 

Well, neither Nathan nor I added to our state highpoint totals in 2005. However, we did manage to scale a couple of peaks during our 64-mile trek at Philmont Scout Ranch in New Mexico. Trail Peak (10,250') has an interesting B-24 wreck (training mission in 1942, part of a wing and the fuselage left on the mountain), and Mt. Philips (11,711') is the second-highest in Philmont, after Mt. Baldy. From the top of Philips, you can see Wheeler Peak in the distance. (We did both Trail Peak and Philips with full packs, so they were a bit more strenuous than they might otherwise have been.) Nathan also finished his Eagle Scout this fall, so even if we didn't check off any more state highpoints, it was a very good year.

Plans for 2006 are still in-process. Nathan may be doing a musical theatre camp in Montana, so I might drive him out there and make a loop through UT/ID and maybe MT if I can find a guide/group. Other opportunities might include HI (an honor choir event, if Nathan decides to go, and we'll look for you out there, Mark) or OR over the Memorial Day weekend.

I definitely want to find some way to bag two more HPs in '06 so I will have my five in the western region and can claim my 40-state (and belated 30-state) pin.

Respond to this message   

Olivier Kozlowski
(Login kozesq)

One, but a good one, for a good cause

December 12 2005, 10:27 AM 

I only managed to add one this year, but I'm pleased with it. I climbed Mt. Whitney as a fundraiser for autism research, getting me to 34. We tried Boundary via the East Ridge Route as an acclimatization hike but got off-route, found ourselves in the scree bowl looking up and decided to save our energy for Whitney the next day.

In 2006 I hope to do AFAR (Ascent For Autism Research) 2, but I need to put together a team I feel comfortable with to attempt Rainier via the Emmons/Winthrop Route. E-mail me if you're interested - no fundraising efforts required on your part and despite the publicity I hope to generate, I still know that the summit is optional, getting back safely is not.

I may also try to head out to AZ for a few days and combine seeing some family out there, maybe catching an AZ Cardinals game with Humphreys Peak. Besides, bagging Rainier and Humphreys will let me get my belated 30-state pin, too! Happy highpointing to all!

Respond to this message   

Ben Knorr
(Login nebben)

just one

December 12 2005, 2:39 PM 

I was lucky enough to have great weather and climbed Hood in February. I'm at a blistering three state highpoints now, and a bunch of county highpoints.

-ben

Respond to this message   
Hojo
(Login Hojo76014)

Only revisited Black Mesa

December 12 2005, 3:43 PM 

Black Mesa is the only highpoint we went to this year.

However we visited 3 new State Capitols. In May we went to Sacramento & Carson City, a trip we had planned & saved for over 2 years. Then in October on impulse we went to Juneau, Alaska. I posted a hiking trip report on the hiking we done in Juneau when we got back. We only have 2 Capitols left - Honolulu & Phoenix.

We been saying this for years but we hope that 2006 will finally be the year we re-attempt & succeed at climbing Mt Elbert.

Respond to this message   

Mark S
(Login MarkStyczynski)

A very good year

December 12 2005, 4:02 PM 

I believe I visited more highpoints this year than any before. I added 8 new states - FL, AL, MS, AR, LA, MO, IA, IL - and revisited 3 - NH during a Presi Traverse, NY and RI. This brings my total to 31.

For next year, I'm planning two trips ... KS, NE, SD and ND in May and TX, OK, CO and NM in Sepetember. Also looking forward to a February ski trip to Stowe (Mansfield) with my lovely wife for our anniversary.

And I'll only need to work another 300 hours of overtime to afford it all!

Respond to this message   
The milestones guy
(Login stevetursi)

5 this year

December 12 2005, 9:15 PM 

Got all 5 in a single monster 2817 60-hour roadtrip with 8 hours of sleep (and one encounter with the cops)

I won't post the TR.. if you want to read it, it's available on my web site here: http://turzman.com/projects/tr-greatlakes.html

(steven tursi)

Respond to this message   
Steve Gruhn
(Login SteveGruhn)

Six

December 12 2005, 5:24 PM 

I stood atop six state highpoints this year:

Gannett Peak, Wyoming;
Timms Hill, Wisconsin;
Mount Arvon, Michigan;
Eagle Mountain, Minnesota;
Hawkeye Point, Iowa; and
Charles Mound, Illinois (last one in the Lower 48!).

This brings my total number of highpoints visited to 49. Now I only have my homestate highpoint left. I tried that one in 2003, but turned around at about 18,880 feet.

I'd love to finish up in 2006, but we'll see if I can arrange the logistics.

Respond to this message   
Rich Allen
(Login lobodelnoche)

Only one, but a good one

December 12 2005, 6:24 PM 

My wife and I did Elbert on July 5...love those false summits The year ain't over yet, though...maybe we will sneak over to KS and OK to make it an even 20 before the year is out

Respond to this message   

Diane Winger
(Login winglady3)

Only one, but a good one (ditto)

December 13 2005, 11:22 AM 

Mt. Rainier!  I'm stopping at 49.

Diane Winger

www.HighpointAdventures.com
NEW: www.Colorado-for-Free.com

Respond to this message   
Jim Sutton
(Login JimSutton)

A Good Year, and Plenty of Plans for 2006

December 13 2005, 11:59 AM 

This past year was a rather successful one for me, as I was able to pick up four new Northeast States (VT, NH, MA, and RI, which got me my 25-state pin), revistit CN, do all five counties of RI and the RI lowpoint in one day, attend the HPC Convention, and get chosen to host the 2007 WI convention (not sure if that counts as "successful" or just plain foolish, but whatever!). Then a long road trip from Sacramento to Wisconsin last month netted me three more state HPs (SD, ND, and IA), plus the ND low point and the ND-SD-MN tricorner point, plus a lot of really sticky ND clay/mud on my car! Count now at 28.

I hope to make major inroads into the remaining five western states I have left to do (CO, MT, WA, UT, and ID; I hope to try AK on 2007 or so), plus pick up one or two eastern/southern HPs in April when visiting with Tim Webb and friends, and maybe try the "southern six-pack" in conjunction with the 2006 HPC in NC. I also want to push hard on getting as many of the remaining 20 CA cpounties (out of 58) I have left to do. We'll see how all of this works out. As Jack would say, I just hope to "Keep Klimbin'". Good luck to all. Thanks. JES

Respond to this message   
chris
(Login Cuber27)

I miss highpointing...

December 13 2005, 9:08 PM 

...no new ones since 2001. I've since reclimbed Mt. Washington, but as a poor college student with an unemployed dad, new highpoints are off limits for now.

I do have another, probably achievable goal--the NE 4000'ers. My school has a great outing club, and it's within easy reach of the Whites. So until future notice...

Respond to this message   
Will M.
(Login Will_Mokszycki)

Six of Eight.

December 14 2005, 12:23 AM 

After a year of abstinence to host the 2004 convention, it was back to work on the remaining 25. My first trip to the Rockies resulted in 2 (CO and NE) but the flu prevented me from attempting the planned NM or AZ. Did get to visit the Great Sand Dunes NP. Simply awesome! (Thanks Diane & Charlie)

Better luck on the trip to the East for the convention where I was able to add DE, MD, WV, and PA before heading to Maine and the Easternmost point in the lower 48, Quoddy Head State park. Repeated NH on the Cog Train. Completed my last remaining extreme point, Cape Alava in Washington after returning home.

Next year should be busy: 8 Southeast states prior to the convention, and then a late August trip to Gannett and Granite. Might even throw in a quick weekend trip to AZ or NM just for fun.

Respond to this message   
Steve Hufford
(Login SteveHufford)

9 more in 2005

December 14 2005, 4:43 AM 

I'm up to only 24 but did 9 this past year:

South and North Dakota with my wife in early July.

Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma, New Mexico and Arizona in late July.

Ohio and Indiana in August.

I'm going to Kilimanjaro in February, trying for my 4th country highpoint. Then to Hawaii in March for state highpoint # 25, Lord willing. And possibly Rainier in August.

Respond to this message   
SteveB
(Login SMB)

3 Repeats

December 14 2005, 11:57 AM 

Didn't make it out West this year, so I'm still stuck at 40. While backpacking at Dolly Sods in October, took a friend to do WV, MD and PA highpoints on the way home. I think I have him hooked!

Respond to this message   
John
(Login houstonsbox)

A Good Year with 10 +

December 15 2005, 1:14 PM 

I had a really successful year. I was able to plan a trip thru New England around the konvention. The goal was every state except Maine. I was able to do WV, MD, PA, NJ, MA, missed NY (Katrina's rains washed out my attempt), VT, NH, RI, CT, and finished with lovely and scenic DE. 10 out of 11 is one trip!! Not too bad! I also bagged Washington, DC's Fort Reno before I flew out of Dulles for home. If they ever DC a state, I'll be ahead of the game.

I made an attempt at AZ in May but there was still much snow for me to find and follow the trail. Maybe next year.

This year I'd like to try NV, AZ (again), NM and CA (if I can get a permit).

My total is up to 19(+DC).

Respond to this message   
Michael D
(Login dmdhiker)

13 or 14....you tell me

December 16 2005, 3:39 PM 

Mt. Whitney was last year after a JMT trek as my first HP, this year I hit 13 or 14 HPs. The confusion occurs because I made it to the summit of Rainier but was not able to get to the actual HP, Columbia Crest. Did the southern eight in the spring, KY, VA, TN, NC, SC, GA, AL, and FL. Hit WI and MI before a backpack trip to Isle Royale. Hit Iowa and SD on the way to WA and caught ND on the way back. I have no set plans other than New Zealand in Feb. Maybe some of the harder western HPs. How would you count Rainier?

http://www.worldisround.com/home/dmdhiker/index.html

Respond to this message   
Michael D
(Login dmdhiker)

wrong place

December 16 2005, 3:42 PM 

Meant to respond to the post in general, not to the specific one I did.

Respond to this message   

Mark S
(Login MarkStyczynski)

A debate of the past ...

December 16 2005, 5:24 PM 

There was a good thread on this last year. It is linked below. I heard a rumor that someone had constructed an article out of this thread, but alas, it didn't make A to Z.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/3897/message/1093616478/

Respond to this message   
Michael D
(Login dmdhiker)

Close but not the Highpoint

December 16 2005, 9:40 PM 

I think I knew this beforehand, but after reading the post you noted I will have to give Columbia Crest another try in the future. If anyone wants to invite a newbie climber along to make another attempt, let me know. Rainier was my first climbing experience, I went with RMI. We made it to the summit rim but the guides claimed the winds were to high and it was too cold to take the hour required to get to the crest and back. We stayed at the rim for about 15 minites then decended.

Respond to this message   

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Go to Forum Home  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
RSS Feed For This Forum
Privacy Statement | Network54 Terms and Conditions