News | Summit Trip Reports | Partners | Low Point Reports | Dogs
Summary Topics: E-News Archive | Club News | Accidents | Obituaries | Books | Advisories | Site News

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Go to Forum Home  

Thoureau on Mount Lafayette

January 11 2006 at 8:20 PM
  (Login 717foto)

I need to verify (book review), the year in which Henry David Thoureau reached the summit of Mount Lafayette in New Hampshire. I saw an on-line article which said 1858, but I thought I recall reading it was 1855. Maybe he hiked it twice, or more likely, I was mistaken. If anyone KNOWS with absolute certainty the year, I would be very grateful. Thank you.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login MohamedEllozy)

Thoreau on Mt Lafayette

January 16 2006, 7:49 PM 

In The 4000-Footers of the White Mountains Steven Smith and Mike Dickerman write (p. 195), in the historic overview of Mount Lafayette:

1858: Henry David Thoreau, on second visit to White Mountains, camps out at base of Lafayette, climbs summit the following day.

In the authoritative Forest and Crag: A History of Hiking, Trail Blazing and Adventure in the Northeast Mountains, Laura and Guy Waterman state (p 73) that Thoreau's second visit to Mount Washington was in 1858. In an endnote they refer to his Journals, vol. 17, pp 21-36, covering May 2-12, 1858.

So I think 1858 is pretty definite.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Thoureau on Mount Lafayette
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Go to Forum Home  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
RSS Feed For This Forum
Privacy Statement | Network54 Terms and Conditions