News | Summit Trip Reports | Partners | Low Point Reports | Dogs
Summary Topics: E-News Archive | Club News | Accidents | Obituaries | Books | Advisories | Site News

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Go to Forum Home  

decent motels near Mt. Marcy?

April 10 2006 at 11:02 AM
Bernie  (Login Bernfeld)

Hello. I will be visiting the Keene Valley area from 4/23-4/26. I was wondering if you knew of any decent motels within about 20-30 minutes of Mt. Marcy...? I am aware that there are several B&B's in the area, but because I will be traveling/hiking alone, I'm looking for fairly basic accommodations with very few amenities. (Something along the lines of a Motel 6.)

Thanks so much!!!

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Mark S
(Login MarkStyczynski)

Lots of choices

April 10 2006, 2:30 PM 

There are a ton of possibilities in Lake Placid, which is only 10-12 minutes from the Van Hovenburg approach. Many are pricey, however. For what you're looking for, I'd suggest the Jackrabbit Inn right on Route 73. Here's a complete list of hotels in the area, including the number for the Jackrabbit:

http://www.adirondacks.com/essexlodges.html

Respond to this message   
Bernie
(Login Bernfeld)

thanks, Mark!

April 10 2006, 2:50 PM 

Respond to this message   
Steve E
(Login Snowslogger)

Lake Placid motels

April 12 2006, 12:54 AM 

The little motel I stayed at in Lake Placid was on a bay and had canoes available for use, which was kind of fun. Unfortunately I can't remember the name, but you may want to ask about this if you get a motel on the lake. Seemed like every other person in town was an Olympic athelete.

Respond to this message   
Mark Kness
(Login MarkKness)

Jackrabbit

April 12 2006, 1:01 AM 

I stayed at the Jackrabbit, it is very conveniently located for Marcy. Just a little bit further outside town (to the east) than the turnoff to the VH trailhead, IIRC. I think I paid around $70 for a room. The Loj was all full, perhaps for a wedding??, when I went by, IIRC it seemed expensive. Lake Placid didn't seem all that low budget.

Respond to this message   
Doug B
(Login DougBe)

Hard to beat the Adirondack Loj

April 10 2006, 4:36 PM 

The Adirondak Loj is right at the usual Marcy trailhead. It's a little pricey for a place with shared bathrooms, but you get a pretty good breakfast included and you don't have to pay the trailhead parking fee if you stay there. It's also got a great skier/hiker/mountain lodge motif that feels right for where you are. The living room is set up to play games, read, hang out or swap stories with others staying there.

All in all, I think it's hard to beat if you're looking for a place to stay when hiking Marcy.

Respond to this message   

Mark S
(Login MarkStyczynski)

Jackrabbit Inn Burns Down

June 4 2007, 5:55 PM 

Since I mentioned it here and it was subsequently printed in Apex to Zenith, I feel obligated to revive this thread. Last night, the Jackrabbit Inn burned down.

http://www.pressrepublican.com/homepage/local_story_155112924.html?keyword=topstory

Respond to this message   

Mark S
(Login MarkStyczynski)

Re: Jackrabbit Inn Burns Down

June 5 2007, 9:11 AM 

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Go to Forum Home  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
RSS Feed For This Forum
Privacy Statement | Network54 Terms and Conditions