News | Summit Trip Reports | Partners | Low Point Reports | Dogs
Summary Topics: E-News Archive | Club News | Accidents | Obituaries | Books | Advisories | Site News

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Go to Forum Home  

Gannett Peak in July?

April 15 2006 at 1:55 PM
Ferris, Donald  (Login donferr)

Looking for someone to accompany me on a July trip to Gannett. Have tried it once unsuccessfully by the south route (Pinedale). Would like to try the route from the northwest where you must bushwhack for about a mile through some rough country but it is a shorter route and no glacier. Am very flexible on dates; could even change it to June or August.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Tom Stengel
(Login tomstengel)

Gannett

May 23 2006, 5:43 PM 

I would like to do Gannett in August. I'm not familiar with the route you suggest. How long is it and is the summit approach easier since one doesn't have to cross a glacier?

Respond to this message   
Jack Bennett
(Login JEBennett)

Green River Route to Gannett

May 24 2006, 11:17 AM 

You didn't say just when you are going. I would not recommend an attempt of Gannett in early July when you would be likely to encounter deep snow and meltwater runoff. Late July would be better. I can give you detailed info on the route from Green River. It is shorter and involves less el gain that other approaches. It is no more technical than other routes. But is NOT, repeat NOT, easy in total effort. Email me for details.

Respond to this message   
markv
(Login markvotapek)

Snow levels so far..

May 24 2006, 4:11 PM 

...are apparently on the high side. Too soon to guess, but early July might be a little bit extra challenging from all approaches.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Go to Forum Home  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
RSS Feed For This Forum
Privacy Statement | Network54 Terms and Conditions