News | Summit Trip Reports | Partners | Low Point Reports | Dogs
Summary Topics: E-News Archive | Club News | Accidents | Obituaries | Books | Advisories | Site News

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Go to Forum Home  

Mt Mitchell

February 4 2007 at 10:37 PM
patrick craft  (Login patrickcraft)

Looked at the Mt Mitchell weather station. Temp 0.5 and wind chill -49. Not Mt Washington cold but cold for down here in the tropics.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Bill S
(Login bswofford2)

Fond Memories

February 5 2007, 9:41 AM 

That wind is a little more brisk than when we were there 2 years ago edoc. When we going back?

Bill

Respond to this message   
patrick craft
(Login patrickcraft)

Re: Fond Memories

February 5 2007, 9:25 PM 

When do you want to go? Do the loop in reverse?

Respond to this message   
Bill S
(Login bswofford2)

Return Trip

February 6 2007, 8:55 AM 

Memorial Day Weekend?

Respond to this message   
patrick craft
(Login patrickcraft)

quite possibly

February 15 2007, 10:05 PM 

would love to take my son. Any ideas on routes? Need to talk to the captain.

Respond to this message   

Daniel Smith
(Login txmountaineer)

Access to Mitchell - Question for Mr. Craft

February 15 2007, 6:29 PM 

Patrick,

Given the renovation of the tower, what is the possibility of visiting Mt. Mitchell in the not so distant future. I'm thinking that since they're working on the summit, the BRP may be plowed more than normal, but would hate to be turned around right near the top.

Any advice you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Daniel
daniel -at- txmountaineer ~dot~ com

Respond to this message   
patrick craft
(Login patrickcraft)

Access

February 15 2007, 10:04 PM 

Daniel,

The state park is only car accessable from the Blue Ridge Parkway. Currently the parkway from NC 80 is closed for maintanence on the Twin Tunnels. Only car access is from Asheville. If weather bad or significant icing under one of the tunnels in the Craggies, well........
its a long walk up a big eastern hill. For access see Mitchell state park homepage @ http://www.ils.unc.edu/parkproject/visit/momi/home.html

The summit is closed because of construction of the new tower. Does anybody know how close you can get to the old tower? I think the thought is if you get to the fence, your close enough. I'd park at the park entrance hike out to Commissary Ridge and head up Mt Mitchell trail toward summit. Walk road down to campground and jump on the old Mitchell trail back to office. Ignore the rangers. If they ask you who gave you directions, I don't know nothing!

Respond to this message   

Daniel Smith
(Login txmountaineer)

Many Thanks!

February 17 2007, 3:44 PM 

Directions, what directions? I'm just wandering around up here...

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Go to Forum Home  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
RSS Feed For This Forum
Privacy Statement | Network54 Terms and Conditions