News | Summit Trip Reports | Partners | Low Point Reports | Dogs
Summary Topics: E-News Archive | Club News | Accidents | Obituaries | Books | Advisories | Site News

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Go to Forum Home  

Number 48 is in the bag

August 15 2011 at 8:30 AM

Doug Urban  (Login Holsti97)

We had a great time climbing Telescope Peak 11,049" in Death Valley, CA and then spent a day exploring Lone Pine and the Alabama Hills. Climbed Mount Whitney via the Mountaineer's Route on August 9-10. We climbed up to Iceberg Lake and camped under the stars with no tents. Iceberg Lake froze solid that night.Had to break ice on lake in the morning to get water for coffee. Scrambled up the chute and the 3rd crack to the summit the next morning. Climbed with HP member Tracy Foutz (33 HPs) who had climbed Whitney 38 years earlier at 11 years of age, and my friend Ed Erickson (30 HPs), and my niece Megan (4 HPs). Mount Whitney was my 48th United States Highpoint. We also visited Stovepipe Wells in Death Valley, Yosemite National Park, Galen Rowell Gallery, and Mono Lake. I climbed Mount Rainier in 2003 for my 1st HP, climbed none in 2004, and then got serious and averaged about 8 highpoints a year after 2004. It has been a wonderful journey.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Alan Ritter
(Login jaritter)

Congrats, Doug!

August 15 2011, 8:44 AM 

Way to go...and the hard way, not the easy trail up Whitney. (One of these days, I'd like to go back to Whitney and do the Mountaineer's Route...back in 2001 when Nathan and I did Whitney, we used the main trail because I figured the MR was beyond Nathan's capabilities at age 12.)

Respond to this message   

Mark S
(Login MarkStyczynski)

Great news

August 15 2011, 1:42 PM 

Very glad to hear you have joined the ranks of lower 48 completers!! For your celebration, you should take a trip to the big island of Hawaii. Congrats to Ed and the rest of your crew as well. happy.gif

Respond to this message   
Stony Burk
(Login StonyBurk)

Kongratulations Doug!

August 24 2011, 10:20 PM 

Good stuff. You picked a great route to finish on. The whole trip looked like a great adventure too! Kongrats to everyone in your group!
Happy Trails & Safe Climbs

Respond to this message   
Steve R
(Login stever500)

You're an inspiration! What's next?

September 10 2011, 12:15 AM 

Respond to this message   

Doug
(Login Holsti97)

That's a good question.

September 12 2011, 11:35 AM 

Since I live in Wisconsin I am not really close to real mountains which I enjoy. That makes pursueing other peakbagging lists difficult. My wife has 30 state highpoints so I will probably return to some of the states that she needs. Hope to do Hawaii yet. I love the Wind River Range in Wyoming and will probably return there to backpack. County highpointing intrigues me especially in Arizona and out West. Also in the Northeast. I am closer to the Boundary Waters and Quetico canoe wilderness areas and will return to those areas which I love. (Have made 15 canoe trips before I discovered Highpointing.) If the right opportunity arises I will consider Denali. Hope to attend the 2012 Konvention in Oregon and do some climbs while out there. Highpointing has been a great experience and I never would have dreamed of climbing so many beautiful mountains before I started in 2003. Thanks to all on Summitpost, America's Roof, and the County Highpointers forums for advice, beta, and finding partners to climb with. I have climbed with over 20 different people from all over the United States and it has been fun. Keep Klimbin'.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Go to Forum Home  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
RSS Feed For This Forum
Privacy Statement | Network54 Terms and Conditions