News | Summit Trip Reports | Partners | Low Point Reports | Dogs
Summary Topics: E-News Archive | Club News | Accidents | Obituaries | Books | Advisories | Site News

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Go to Forum Home  

Stanley Cup Carried to Elbert's Summit

August 23 2001 at 9:31 AM
roger  (no login)

Many thanks to John Mitchler for this item.

Today's Rocky Mountain News has a picture of the Stanley being carried up Elbert.

Excerpt:
In the National Hockey League, nearly anything goes with the Stanley Cup on its 24-hour visits with players, coaches and officials from the winning team.
And Mark Waggoner, the Colorado Avalanche's top financial officer, proved it Wednesday when he and a few friends lugged the 34 1/4-inch-tall, 35-pound Stanley Cup to the summit of Mount Elbert, at 14,433 feet the tallest peak in Colorado and the second-highest in the lower 48 states. Mount Whitney in California is 14,494.

"To me the Stanley Cup represents the best -- the championship, the top -- and I just thought it would be a great tribute to the Stanley Cup to carry it to the top of Colorado," said Waggoner, 43.

It was on Aug. 5 that Waggoner, an avid hiker, hatched the idea while on a mountain outing. The vice president of finance for Kroenke Sports Enterprises, which owns the Avalanche and the Denver Nuggets, Waggoner had already made it to the summit of 26 of the 54 Fourteeners in the state.

So he popped the question to the NHL and the Hockey Hall of Fame, which has a staff that travels with the glistening trophy, and was a little surprised to get the go-ahead.

He had a custom cup-carrying backpack made, and then he started training for the climb in earnest.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
roger
(no login)

URL for Article

August 23 2001, 9:33 AM 

Respond to this message   
Ken Akerman
(no login)

Denver Post URL; Fox News reported on this story

August 23 2001, 11:02 AM 

This was very interesting. Fox News Channel featured this story in one of their reports this morning. Here is The Denver Post URL, but I think the RMN article is better:

http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1002,84%257E114934,00.html

Respond to this message   
John M
(no login)

Stanley's Second Summit Sojourn

August 23 2001, 12:43 PM 

I wonder which member of the Avalanche team will carry it up Mt. Elbert next summer?

Respond to this message   
Karl Heller
(no login)

Next to carry Stanley

August 25 2001, 11:22 PM 

I believe the name of that next player will be Mike Modano. He is on the best team this year.

Respond to this message   
Ken Akerman
(no login)

ESPN.com article about Stanley Cup's Highpointing adventure

August 23 2001, 4:25 PM 

Respond to this message   
Heidi F.
(no login)

This is SO Coloradian...

August 28 2001, 7:57 AM 

All I could think of when I read this article was - This is SOOOO Coloradian (is that the word for native of Colorado?). And I have a strong affinity for all things Coloradian

Wonder if we can get that guy to write a trip report for the newsletter, eh? Did it mention anywhere what trail he took? I'd be really impressed if he lugged that cup up the Black Cloud Trail

Respond to this message   
Ken Akerman
(no login)

Bring the Stanley Cup to winning team's highest point every year

August 28 2001, 12:27 PM 

I believe the term for someone from Colorado is Coloradoan. Perhaps we should contact the NHL and have this become an annual event - bringing the Stanley Cup to the highest point of the winning team's home state or province. If this had been done since 1990 this would be some of the places where the Cup could have gone:

Year--------Stanley Cup Champion------High Point
1990--------Edmonton Oilers-------Mount Columbia (AB)
1991, 1992--Pittsburgh Penguins---Mount Davis (PA)
1993--------Montreal Canadiens----Mont D'Iberville (PQ)
1994--------New York Rangers------Mount Marcy (NY)
1995, 2000--New Jersey Devils-----High Point (NJ)
1996--------Colorado Avalanche----Mount Elbert (CO)
1997, 1998--Detroit Red Wings-----Mount Arvon (MI)
1999--------Dallas Stars----------Guadalupe Peak (TX)

Perhaps if Wayne Gretzky can perform the same magic in the Phoenix Coyotes front office that he did on the ice as a player, then we may see the Stanley Cup on top of Humphreys Peak within a few years.

Ken

Respond to this message   
RA Meagher
(no login)

watch out Stanley Cup

August 28 2001, 3:09 PM 

If the Cup goes up Humphreys Peak (or any other)
it could act as a large lighting rod!
Gretsky may want to scale Camelback Mountain instead.

Respond to this message   
Scott Surgent
(no login)

Stanley Cup

August 28 2001, 3:17 PM 

Wherever the Cup goes, so does at least one of its full-time caretakers. I wonder how excited he was to be told he'd have to follow it up a 14er.

Safe to say we won't be seeing similar stories about someone lugging up the O'Brien Trophy, the World Series Trophy or the Lombardi Trophy up any peaks. The Cup is grand, and big! Arguably the most identifiable trophy of the big four sports.

There was a photo in Sports Illustrated a year ago after the Devils won the Cup. One of the players was shown hoisting it on top of some peak in BC (I believe). However, he was helicoptered to the top. Nice photo op, but not in the spirit of highpointing .

The Montreal Canadiens have won the Cup 23 times (or 24??). Imagine the logistics of taking it to the far north of Quebec to get it atop d'Iberville every few years. Maybe the NHL should adopt a rule that only teams from temperate climates with class-1 highpoints can win the Cup. This gives the Kings a fighting chance, and the Coyotes a whisper.

Lastly, imagine you being atop Elbert, enjoying your latest summit, and up comes some guy carrying the Cup! That would be the coolest of cool! A moment of cognitive dissonance.

Respond to this message   
Heidi F.
(no login)

Wanna be Coloradoan

August 28 2001, 6:15 PM 

That WOULD be a sight!! Even though I am not up on the hockey scene, I'd still be kind of stunned to see a guy walk up with a trophy that size on his back...

Btw, is hockey affinity a requirement for residency in Colorado?

I'm half way there... I love soccer.... Dont know how I am going to stand going from a town that lives by its baseball team to one that lives by its hockey team... what am I going to do all winter?

Respond to this message   
Bronco`s fanatic
(no login)

There is another option.

August 28 2001, 7:49 PM 

Granted, the Colorado Rockies (as in baseball) have been a collective disappointment but the football season is just around the corner which should prove to be most exciting for the Denver faithful.

Respond to this message   
Heidi F.
(no login)

Conflict of interest

August 29 2001, 12:48 AM 

From what I hear, there's some conflict of interest between the Cleveland Browns and the Denver Broncos.... something about the Broncos kicking the Browns' collective ass back when the Browns were actually the Browns (before Art Modell sold them to Baltimore). But I havent followed football much...

Respond to this message   
Heidi F.
(no login)

Conflict of interest

August 29 2001, 12:48 AM 

From what I hear, there's some conflict of interest between the Cleveland Browns and the Denver Broncos.... something about the Broncos kicking the Browns' collective ass back when the Browns were actually the Browns (before Art Modell sold them to Baltimore). But I havent followed football much...

Respond to this message   
Ken Akerman
(no login)

Hockey affinity not a requirement to live in Colorado

August 29 2001, 11:38 AM 

> Btw, is hockey affinity a requirement for residency in Colorado?

Hockey affinity is not a requirement for residency in Colorado. The Avalanche did not even arrive in Colorado until 1995, when the Quebec Nordiques moved from Quebec to Denver. The Avalanche won the Stanley Cup in their first season in Denver, and have been a strong contender for the Stanley Cup every year since then. I lived in Colorado from 1993-1999, so I lived in CO during the pre-Av days and saw the Avs first championship parade.

Before the Nordiques moved to Denver and became the Avalanche, Denver had a collection of minor league hockey teams, but most of them did not last very long. Denver also had a previous NHL team called the Colorado Rockies (the same name as the current MLB team), which was an NHL expansion team that began in Kansas City in 1974 as the Kansas City Scouts but lasted only two years in that western Missouri city before moving to Denver in 1976. However, the hockey Rockies, unlike the Avs, were a horrible team, making the playoffs during only one season (at a time when nearly every team in the NHL made the playoffs) and lasting in Denver for only six years before moving to East Rutherford, NJ in 1982 and becoming the NJ Devils. The Devils, after lean years during the 1980's, have become one of the strongest NHL franchises in the 90's and 00's, winning the Cup in both 1995 and 2000.

Thus, this year's Stanley Cup Championship series was an exciting seven-game affair that featured the current Colorado NHL team (Avalanche) versus the former Colorado NHL team (Devils).

Ken Akerman
Highpointer and NHL correspondent, Tempe AZ

Respond to this message   
Heidi F.
(no login)

Inanimate Objects HPing

August 28 2001, 6:19 PM 

That's a cool idea. My husband and I always used to talk about getting some sort of alien or stuffed animal or something and leaving it on a highpoint for the next highpointer to take down and take to the next highpoint. We thought that'd be pretty cool - make an object travel between highpointers to other highpoints... I dont know - goofy idea, I know. But then, we were goofy peopel.

Respond to this message   
Scott Surgent
(no login)

"Incrediball"

August 29 2001, 1:07 PM 

My first big peak ever was Telescope Peak in the Panamint Range overlooking Death Valley, in 1991. My hiking partner and I carried our baseball mitts and a cloth faux-baseball called "Incrediball" up to the summit. When we reached the summit, we had about 30 feet to spread out and play catch.

This proved to be an interesting experience: we were so cognizant of the rocks and drop-offs that we "thought too much" about our throws. Instead of throwing completely natural like we'd done for years before, our throws were labored and usually off-target. After about a half-dozen throws, one went high and over the edge.

Baseball fans may refer to Chuck Knoblauch of the Yankees, and his sudden inability to throw properly. They call it the "yips". Golfers have the same problem. The act should be subconscious; when it's not, it becomes difficult. Steve Sax of the Dodgers and Yanks also had this problem. In L.A., the joke was that Sax had a great arm- just ask the fans behind the first-base dugout!

On a similar vein, I saw a guy driving golf balls from Elbert's summit when I made the top in 1995. Couldn't say what the hikers below thought about that.

Respond to this message   
Barnaby
(no login)

BACK TO DAVIS

August 29 2001, 9:07 PM 

The CUP will live on Mt. Davis for years to come thanks to Super Mario.

Respond to this message   
Karl Heller
(no login)

Agree

August 30 2001, 12:29 PM 

I agree that there is a strong possibility that Stanley's prize may find its way to Mt. Davis, but it won't be the Pittsburgh Penguins that put it there. Look East, my son.

Respond to this message   
BARNABY
(no login)

Curse

August 31 2001, 1:53 PM 

The Red Sox traded Ruth and they havent won a World Series since. I have a feeling that the Curse of the Eric will haunt my "friends" to the east for decades to come.

Anyway, Mt. Davis is alot closer to Pittsburgh than it is to that city right next to New Jersery.

Respond to this message   

< Previous Page 1 2 3 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Go to Forum Home  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
RSS Feed For This Forum
Privacy Statement | Network54 Terms and Conditions