Re: Any thoughts?

September 29 2016 at 12:50 PM
White Man in the Hammersmith Palais 

Response to Any thoughts?

I've only had a chance to take a quick scan over the files so far - they are available as images at the moment but they may not always be.

As usual, I was struck by the sheer (pre-Snowden, pre-photocopier) manpower involved in this monumental spying. So, when you see a letter written to E.P. Thompson it's actually been diverted by the Post Office to a special part of a special depot, steamed open, a shorthand record written out of the contents which are then typed up by an army of secretaries, filed and cross referenced by hand and then laboriously indexed. Meanwhile the letter had to be put back together again and rushed back to the post in time.

If you were in the CPGB every letter was being opened, your phone calls were being transcribed, there were bugs, there were informers at every party meeting as well as most TU and solidarity meetings.

I've always had a very sceptical view of 'Spycatcher', assuming that there was as much deception as truth in it. So I was very surprised to read that 'Operation Party Piece' appears to have actually taken place and wasn't a euphemism.

Respond to this message   
Responses

Find more forums on Political TheoryCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement