Volver al indice  

Hello Peter

July 20 2012 at 12:13 AM
No score for this post
Paco Valero  (no login)

Response to Hola Paco,

It is my guessing that these E1's were not 'retrofited' in the strict sense, but while still in the assembly line, Dornier developed some improvements (that they decided to call E2) and incorporated them into the planes before the roll out.
A real retrofit may means planes withdrawn from active service and sent back to the factory for reworking. That Dorniers surelly saw little service in the Luftwaffe before being shipped to the Iberian Peninsula with no time to such works lapsus.
WNr. blocks were allocated by the RLM (not by Dornier) in the moment of the order by the Ministerium and likely the bomber version available were only E1 at that moment unaware of further evolution.

Nice data plate (Typenschild) you posted; is it yours? That WNr. belongued to a Z-2 from a meteorological unit (Wekusta Ob.d.L.) fuse code T5+IU shot up by RAF fighters over North Sea (Map square 'Planquadrat': 0070) while piloted by Ofw.Spanke and crashed on landing being a total loss.
The government meteorological officer Reg.Rat Heinrich wounded. Source: BoB Then&Now p.673
I have a Luftwaffe Navigationskarte of that area and I could try to locate the precise spot 0070

Best regards
Paco Valero

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Find more forums on ModelingCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement