<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Volver al indice  

The Bf 108 Taifun in Spain & other countries part 1b

August 20 2009 at 12:02 PM
No score for this post
Peter Dupont  (Acceso PeterDupont)

BULGARIA:

A total of six Taifuns were delivered to the Bulgarian Air Force which were used for transport and liaison duties throughout WW II..

[IMG][linked image][/IMG]

CHILE:

This Bf 108 was purchased by a civilian directly from Messerschmitt by a politician called Carlos del Campo. Later he sold it to LAN (Linea Aerea Nacional, national airlines) who passes it to the Chilean air force where it operated as a VIP transport. With the outbreak of WW2 the spares were a big problem and the plane was sold to another customer, a civilian who never flew it, and the plane was 'left to die' in a barn. In the mid sixties, some air fans tried to purchase the plane but the owner finally sold it to a North American customer, here the trace of the plane vanishes

CZECHO-SLOVAKIA:

After WW II three Bf 108s were taken in the inventory of the Czecho-Slovakian Air force coded D-53 D-55. They were used by the Transport-Unit (Letecka Dopravni Skupina ) in Prague-Kbely from the end of 1945 until 1949 and they were painted overall dark green. The Czech called them K-70.

DENMARK:

There were also two Taifuns flying under Danish registrations, one of them is even flying today under the German registration D-IBFW.

FRANCE:

In 1942 the construction of the Messerschmitt Bf 108 was transferred to SNCAN (usually known as Nord) at Les Mureaux in occupied France. Before the liberation 170 Bf 108s were built and Nord continued to build the aircraft using scavenged Bf 108 airframe parts as the Nord 1000, until stocks of German Argus engines were exhausted.

The type was then re-engined with a 233hp (174kW) Renault 6Q 11 six-cylinder inline engine and was designated the Nord 1001 Pingouin I. A further update followed with a Renault 6Q 10-powered variant which was designated the Nord 1002 Pingouin II. Total production was 286[1] with the majority used as communications and liaison aircraft with the French armed forces.
The design was further developed with the tricycle landing gear Nord Noralpha.

Nord 1000: The use in the Armée deL'Air :
The GB 1 / 31 at Aunis employed Nord 1000 N ° 8.
GR 3 / 33 (Perigord) used Nord 1000 N ° 53, 62, 63.
The GLAM: The origin of GLAM goes back to the SSLA (Section Spéciale de Liaisons Aériennes / Special Section of Aerial Liaison) and was founded in Algeria in 1940 to provide command links in North Africa. In 1942 it was moved to Boufarik and became SLA (Section de Liaison Aérienne).
At the end of 1944 SLA was separated into 45 GLA remaining at Boufarik and GLAM that moved to Villacoublay (officially launched on 14/02/1945).
Accidents happened with a Nord N 1000 in March 1946 and with a N 1002 no. 237 in Orleans in September 1946.

In October 1946 the 60th Liaison Squadron was created, composed of GLAM which formed the first group and of GAEL which formed the second group.
GAEL: In September 1944, a ministerial liaison section is created at Issy les Moulineaux with some MS 500s and N 1000s, including No. 14 that moved to Le Bourget in summer 1945, then to Villacoublay in 1946 where it became GAEL 87 in October. The "boss" is Capitain Camille Plubeau , a Curtiss H75 ace of GC II/4 and it had nrs. 03, 11, 14, 18, 64, 82 in its inventory, the latter being an N 1001, the others N 1000s.

3rd Escadre de Chasse at Reims had the nrs. 136 and 242.

AIA no. 1 at Alger Maison blanche: nrs. 112, 129, 207, 226, 278, 270, 265, 235.

ELA 52: This was the first liaison unit that operated in Indochina. The 99th Liaison Squadron was founded in 1946 at Tan Son Nhut and consisted of some Japenese aircraft such as the Ki 36, Ki 51 and Ki 54. It received its first N 1000s in the beginning of 1946. In the years 1947-48, the Nord 1000s mainly delivered mail at isolated field-posts.
Accidents with N 1000 N ° 8 on 9/04/1953 and N ° 62 on 15/12/1953 that landed with a retracted undercarriage by mistake.
SLA 88 based at Dijon.
ELA 41.
ELA 43: Created at Bordeaux at the end of 1944 under the name of section régionale de liaisons aériennes N°90 , it became ELA 43 on 1/10/1947.
ELA 44 Beginning at Marignane in 1945 with elements from Boufarik. Initially starting with one N 1000, it flew its last N 1000 in 1961.

For so far part 1 of this overview. In the next part Ill continue with the Taifuns native country, Germany.
And .. justice will be done. In the last part all sources will be mentioned that were useful to compile this series.

Hope you like it and of course: all rectifications and additions are very welcome.

Salu2, Peter.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AutorReply
Martin Lucero
(no login)

¡¡¡Excellent article Peter!!!

No score for this post
August 20 2009, 1:02 PM 

Thanks for sharing your research of this very interesting,and not widely known plane,with us.Greetings.

Martin

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
¡¡¡Excelente articulo Peter!!!

Gracias por compartir tu investigacion sobre este interesante,y no ampliamente conocido avion,con nosotros.Saludos.

Martin

Peter Dupont
(no login)

Ola Martin,

No score for this post
August 20 2009, 11:53 PM 

As always, thanks for your kind support. I will try to finish to next parts on a weekly basis, so stay tuned,

Saludos, Peter.

Philippe Ricco
(no login)

Few more details

No score for this post
August 20 2009, 3:19 PM 

From September 1944 to March 1945, 67 Nord 1000 were built and delivered by SNCAN to French army (s/n 1 to 67). Then 67 Nord 1001 (s/n 68 to 134) and finally 152 Nord 1002 (s/n 135 to 286). 17 additional captured Bf 108 were given to French army by the British and then taken in charge by the SNCAN with the other French post-war built Nord 1000.

France also used one Meeserchmitt Bf 108 which was never a Nord 1000 : the Wnr 1561 immatriculated F-BBRH.

Peter Dupont
(no login)

Hello Philippe...........

No score for this post
August 21 2009, 12:47 AM 

Thanks a lot for your response! I am always glad to receive some additions or corrections, those make this kind of forums so interesting and we all are better off this way.

And you are quite right about the F-BBRH, this was one of the early Bf 108s and it had quite a lot of owners and registrations such as OY-AIH , D-EBFW, RC+YZ and of course F-BBRH. I already included a picture of OY-AIH in the first part, D-EBFW and RC+YZ will be included hereby and maybe in the second part of these series.

Unfortunately I do not have a picture of F-BBRH showing its French registration number. If you have one, would you please be so kind to share it with us?

By the way, the Nord Taifuns still are a kind of black hole for me. I still hope that some extensive articles will cross my path, maybe from Le Fana or some other French magazine.

Thanks again and stay tuned,

Abrazotes, Peter.

Ph. Ricco
(Acceso Ph_Ricco)

F-BBRH ?

No score for this post
August 21 2009, 9:15 PM 

I can't prove it, but I think that this picture probably shows the F-BBRH

[linked image]

Franz Kerzendorf
(no login)

Re: F-BBRH ?

No score for this post
June 28 2011, 9:10 PM 

I am shareholder of this plain. Now registered in Germany D-EBFW. Unfortunately the variable pitch helice P7 is missing we are operating the Plain with fied pitch.

Who knows the whwerabout the P7 is gone.

regards

Franz kerzendorf

Franz Kerzendorf
(no login)

Re: F-BBRH ?

No score for this post
June 28 2011, 9:10 PM 

I am shareholder of this plain. Now registered in Germany D-EBFW. Unfortunately the variable pitch helice P7 is missing we are operating the Plain with fied pitch.

Who knows the whwerabout the P7 is gone.

regards

Franz kerzendorf

Ph. Ricco
(Acceso Ph_Ricco)

French Bf 108 versions

No score for this post
August 21 2009, 8:45 PM 

The first one : Nord 1000

[linked image]

Then re-engined : Nord 1001

[linked image]

Last but not least : N-1002

[linked image]

Peter Dupont
(no login)

Thanks a lot Philippe&#8230;

No score for this post
August 22 2009, 1:26 AM 

For all these pictures, they are a very welcome addition to my collection of Taifuns Nord 1000 Series. And I fully agree with you that the first photograph most probably depicts F-BBRH: this aircraft clearly has the Argus engine.

As you can see there were also several Nord 1002s bearing the registration F-B???, but the Nord 1002 was driven by the Renault engine.

Thanks again for sharing these pictures with us and salu2, Peter.

DusanSlezak
(Acceso DusanSlezak)

Hola Peter, buen trabajo

No score for this post
August 20 2009, 9:30 PM 

Gracias por otro material de inspiración total, estoy deseoso de continuar.
Sin embargo, tengo que mencionar dos errores:
1 - el doble de la publicada la fotografía de la aeronave OY-AIH (que debería haber?)
2 - una vez más, un error fundamental en la representación de las marcas de las aeronaves de Checoslovaquia. Perfil de D-53 es correcto, pero la D-55 es una señal de error para la colocación de ala!
Enlace consecuentemente fotografía correctamente etiquetados un modelo de la antigua revista L + K.
Sinceras Salud
Dusan de Eslovaquia

Hola Peter, good work

Thank you for another inspiring aggregate material, I look forward to continuing.
However, I have to mention two errors:
1 - twice the published photograph of the aircraft OY-AIH (which there should be?)
2 - once again a fundamental error in the depiction of Czechoslovak aircraft markings. Profile D-53 is correct, but the D-55 is wrong marked on wing!
To incorporate therefore photos one correctly labeled model of the older magazine L + K.
Heartiest Health
Dusan from Slovakia

[linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image]

Peter Dupont
(no login)

Hello my dear Dusan................

No score for this post
August 21 2009, 1:37 AM 

Thanks a lot for your most welcome and fast response. Especially when (Czecho-)Slovakian aircraft are involved, I almost knew for sure you would react immediately.
And once more, you are completely right. It is unbelievable how often these roundels are represented in the wrong way. As I mentioned before: Never rely on profiles for 100% until you have seen photographic evidence or checked the know-how of an insider.

And thanks for pointing out my mistake by linking a picture of OY-AIH twice! I had not noticed that unforgivable error until now. The second picture was meant to represent OY-DMI as shown below:

If you like it, we can fix an article of another Czechoslovakian aircraft in the future such as the Aero 100-102, Avia BH-33, RWD-8 RWD-13 or whatever aircraft with connections to the Spanish Civil War. Please think about it and after I have finished the Bf 108 series and maybe the early Pedros (together with Vladimir and if you like you can join us?) we have another nice subject for aircraft almost lost in oblivion.

All the best wishes and take good care of yourself,

Abrazotes, Peter

DusanSlezak
(Acceso DusanSlezak)

Thank you for your reply...

No score for this post
August 21 2009, 8:07 AM 

and very interesting offer.
My knowledge and my archives are available to you, as well as Vladimir and other friends of the "54 - Aeronet GCE-Iberonet.
Please send me the specific requirements via e-mail.
Saludo
Dusan

David Gesalí
(no login)

Nice to hear again from you !!

No score for this post
August 20 2009, 10:16 PM 

good job again..
don't stop Peter..the're really welcome.!!

your friend David.

Peter Dupont
(no login)

Ola David&#8230;

No score for this post
August 22 2009, 1:51 AM 

It is very good to see you here again too! Are you still working on those French bastards? Looks like a hell of a job to me.
Furthermor, do not worry. There was some radio silence because I had to work in Germany for a couple of months. Now I am home again and if my dear wife allows me, I can spend some spare time to our mutual hobbies.
By the way, one of my other favorite forums http://www.airwarfareforum.com/) very recently has closed the curtains due to a lack of participation from their members. Let us take care that this kind of things will not happen to this very nice forum.

All the best wishes from a sunny Holland my friend,

Salu2, Peter.

David Gesalí
(no login)

I´m still on the trench

No score for this post
August 24 2009, 1:23 PM 

hello again Peter...
yes i´m still on them... so they are a hard bond.. there's a lot of things, a lot of feats.. and really curious but unconected... and this is not so good for a serious job..

but anyway i will finish someday..
but really true.. someone of this odd french planes.. is a really..###### and is no possible to find were she end... o waht did she do..

greetings from here.

David.

mludwig
(no login)

Hi Peter

No score for this post
August 20 2009, 11:48 PM 

This is a really interesting data, specially the french vertions.
Tks for share.....

Rgds
mludwig

Peter Dupont
(no login)

Thanks mludwig

No score for this post
August 22 2009, 1:54 AM 

and stay tuned, there will be more next week. Salu2, Peter.

Pavel Kloucek
(no login)

Addition for Czechoslovak Taifuns

No score for this post
September 9 2009, 9:43 AM 

There were three Taifuns in post-war Czechoslovakia, all were served in LDS group. D-53 was WNr.831, D-54 WNr.2104 and D-55 WNr.5127. Known photos are only for D-55.

Peter Dupont
(no login)

Thanks a lot Pavel....

No score for this post
September 11 2009, 11:38 PM 

And indeed, those wnr's were unknown to me! Greetings, Peter.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Volver al indice  
Find more forums on ModelingCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement