A New Adventure Game Available Now

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Downloading patches

March 9 2008 at 6:46 PM
Pamela  (no login)
from IP address 88.108.220.133

Hello Mr Bill -some time ago you displayed a step by step method of downloading game patches - do you still have this? Do you save the (zipped?) patch into the game folder, then right click and run it to unzip it? Would be grateful for your help (and will print it out this time!). I am hoping that a patch will help my Agatha Christie Evil under the Sun game to run properly. Many thanks.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Premier Login Mr. Bill)
Forum Owner

Re: Downloading patches

March 9 2008, 11:22 PM 

Hi Pamela,

This patch file is zipped ( Agatha Christie - Evil Under the Sun Patch.zip ),  download it to a folder you create using Windows Explorer. Next unzip this file (extract it)  to get an execute file ( Agatha Christie - Evil Under the Sun Patch.exe ).  Extract it into the same folder you downloaded the zipped patch file into.  This patch file ( Agatha Christie - Evil Under the Sun Patch.exe ) when double clicked will automatically find the game folder and update the files in the game.

If you need help with creating folders, etc, then read below.

About 3 years ago I bought a copy of "Windows XP All-In-One Desk Reference for Dummies" since I was at that time fairly new to Windows XP.  I bought it to see where Windows 98 and XP differ so I could give more assistance to folks like yourself, since the lessons that we developed were based on or from Windows 98. However the usage of Windows Explorer is very similar in both Windows Xp and Windows 98 and even if you were using Windows 98, my screenshots could look different from yours, so you will need to modify the appearance of your Windows Explorer as indicated below.

Thus, before you try these lessons, you need to make a few changes in the way Windows Explorer in XP looks (that is, its appearance) so it will more closely resemble my screenshots. You access Windows Explorer by clicking on Start, All Programs, Accessories, Windows Explorer. The changes you need to make are as follows:

1. Rather than have all the folders and files use icons, choose list under View.

2. Next you want to see the file names complete with their extensions. The file extension is the 3 or 4 letters and/or numbers after a decimal point that tells the computer what program this file is associated with. You also need to know what extension is associated with each program (like for example, .doc is a Word document), what extension does a particular game use for its saved games (like .006 or maybe .s08),  what music file it is (like maybe .mp3 or .wmv), and what kind of graphic file (for example .jpg or .bmp). To be able to see all of this, you need to click on Tools, then Folder Options, then the View tab. Then uncheck the box marked Hide Extensions for Known File Types, then click on Apply to All Folders at the top of the box, then Yes, then click OK.

Your setup should look a lot more like my lessons now.  See if this helps.

Here are our four lessons: These are important for you to learn.

How to Download, Store, Move & Unzip Stuff (files) from Email or the Internet (Like Saved Games, Patches, Walkthroughs or MP3s)
  • Lesson 1: Creating a Place to Store My Download (like a saved game)

• Lesson 2: Downloading It to a Storage Folder (like saved game from email to storage folder)

• Lesson 3: Moving It to Where You Want to Use It (like saved game from storage folder into Black Mirror folder)

• Lesson 4: What To Do If What I Download is Zipped (will apply to some other things later like patches, etc.)

• Cheers,

Bill 

http://www.mrbillsadventureland.com

This message has been edited by Mr. Bill from IP address 68.255.83.185 on Mar 9, 2008 11:23 PM

Respond to this message   
    Pamela
    (no login)

Agatha Christie - Evil under the Sun

March 10 2008, 6:22 PM 

Thank you very much for all the info Mr Bill, which I have used and saved for future reference! However, downloading the patch into this game hasn't helped and I still get a "stutter" when I change scenes and sometimes a long wait. I have disabled virus programs and screen saver, disabled everything under game Options apart from sub text, reduced acceleration to Basic but it makes no difference. I think my computer matches requirements and have had no problems with other games played recently. I have emailed Adventure Company for support, but wonder if you can offer any advice please?

Respond to this message   
    Pamela
    (no login)

Re: Agatha Christie - Evil under the Sun

March 11 2008, 12:49 PM 

Problem solved - when all else fails, turn off the computer!!! Don't ask me why, but it worked. Am now one happy bunny! Thanks for all the useful info Mr Bill.

Respond to this message   
    Current Topic - Downloading patches
      << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Visit  Mr. Bill's Adventureland

Proud Member of the Adventure Games Coalition