Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  

Winter Hill Mob- South Boston

May 5 2005 at 1:22 PM
No score for this post

(Login IrishHood)
Forum Owner

Kevin Weeks

Among members of the Boston underworld, no one was closer to "Whitey" Bulger than Kevin Weeks, a South Boston native and loyal tough guy who Bulger groomed as his successor and treated like a son.

During the 1980s, Weeks operated several of the Southie convenience stores and liquor marts that served as fronts for the Bulger organization. Weeks received "rent" payments from loan sharks and bookmakers, insulating Bulger from the transactions, and also helped shake down local crooks and businessmen behind on their debts to the gang.

Following Bulger's disappearance in 1995, Weeks acted as "operational chief" of the Bulger organization, taking orders from the fugitive gangster over the phone and keeping Bulger well-funded by funnelling thousands of dollars into his bank account.

Once Bulger and Flemmi were outed as FBI snitches, Weeks became the target of local mobsters who had been ratted out by the pair. He also grew increasingly bitter toward his former bosses. In 1999, he was arrested and charged in a federal racketeering indictment. Facing the prospect of charges that could send him to prison for life, and with no financial or legal assistance forthcoming from Bulger's ruined organization, Weeks agreed to cooperate against his old boss. In 2000 he led police to the bodies of eight alleged Bulger victims buried in various locations around Boston.

This message has been edited by IrishHood on Dec 1, 2006 2:35 PM

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login IrishHood)
Forum Owner

Stephen 'The Rifleman' Flemmi

No score for this post
May 5 2005, 1:34 PM 

Stephen 'The Rifleman' Flemmi

A Roxbury native and an Italian-American, Stephen J. Flemmi got his nickname during the Korean War, when he was an uncanny marksman in the Army. In the 1960s, Flemmi developed close ties to both the Irish and Italian mobs, befriending Mafia boss Francis "Cadillac Frank" Salemme and earning a reputation as a cold-blooded operative. He later joined up with Somerville's Winter Hill gang, where he forged a close partnership with "Whitey" Bulger. Flemmi served as Bulger's front man, collecting money from bookies and inspiring fear in those who didn't pay their debts on time. He began informing for the FBI several years before his boss.

Flemmi was arrested in 1995 on charges of racketeering and extortion, but fought the charges on grounds that the FBI had granted him and Bulger permission to commit certain crimes short of murder while they worked as informants. The ensuing court hearings dredged up some of the Boston FBI’s darkest secrets, including revelations of agents accepting payoffs and leaking information to help protect Flemmi and Bulger from prosecution. A judge ultimately ruled that the gangsters had received no promise of immunity, and Flemmi was sentenced in August 2001 to 10 years in prison for extortion and money laundering as part of a plea agreement with prosecutors. However, the deal did not resolve the most serious charges against Flemmi; he still faces 10 federal murder charges and state murder charges in Oklahoma and Florida.

(Login IrishHood)
Forum Owner

Eddie MacKenzie

No score for this post
May 10 2005, 9:35 AM 

Breaking Legs for Whitey
by Edward J. MacKenzie Jr.

In an excerpt from his controversial book, a South Boston drug dealer recalls the dirty work he says he did for the FBI's second-most-wanted man.

On a late January afternoon in 1980, Whitey Bulger stepped from the shadows. I was working out in my second-floor apartment on Boston Street in South Boston, preparing for the Eastern United States Kickboxing Championships. I'd been into serious kickboxing for more than a year and was in prime shape. As always when I was working out, the door to my apartment was open so my buddies could walk in.

I was studying my form in a full-length mirror when I saw a reflection of four guys in the doorway. They gave me a look like they owned the place. "What the fuck are you doing here?" I yelled. Two of them walked right in. The other two stayed at the door. I started toward them, ready to separate their heads from their bodies. "Anyone ever teach you to knock, assholes?"

One of those assholes had icy, blue-gray eyes and receding, close-cropped silver hair, brushed straight back. He was maybe 40 or 50. With his barracuda jacket, jeans, and leather sneakers, he had the Boston docks gangster look. This guy's whole being was ice cold. I was 22 and one tough shit myself, but something made me hesitate. I knew the guy in front of me was someone you didn't mess with.

"My name is Jimmy Bulger," he said. The name didn't register with me. "Most people call me Whitey."

Whitey Bulger. Now that was a name I knew. Bulger pointed to the other man. "This is my friend Stevie Flemmi." Stevie "the Rifleman" Flemmi. I knew that name, also. Whitey didn't introduce the other two.

Standing in my apartment was a stone-cold killer, the most feared and notorious gangster in Boston. Next to him was Stevie Flemmi, born and bred in Roxbury, not Southie, but still the most feared man in Boston's underworld after Bulger.

Whitey was an institution unto himself. Brilliant. Ruthless. Murderous. Lucifer personified. If the word on the street was to be believed — and what other word could I rely on? — Whitey Bulger could kill you and your dog, fuck your wife, burn down your house, and walk away clean. I realized this probably wasn't a visit to say hello.

When Whitey spoke again, his voice was so soft I had to lean closer just to hear him. I learned later that he kept his voice low to avoid being recorded by surveillance devices. The trouble, he explained, was $10,000 worth of Hummel figurines me and a buddy had stolen from some guy's house. What we hadn't known was that this guy was in the mob. Whitey wanted the Hummels returned. Unfortunately, they were long gone. We'd sold them.

"Whitey, we —"

"I prefer to be called Jimmy," he said.

"Jimmy," I continued, "we did take the Hummels. I don't know how much they were worth. I don't know where they are, and I don't think we can get them back. But I'll do whatever is necessary to make things right. I'm working at the Boston Rose Sub Shop. I can make payments every week or whatever to clear this thing up."

Whitey thought for a second, then asked, "Who did you do the score with?"

I gave him the only answer I could, even though I knew I might be signing my death certificate. "Jimmy, I can't say who I did it with. I'm in this on my own."

His eyes hardened. "What the fuck do you mean you can't tell me?" he said, his voice edged, though still barely audible. "This guy is going to kill you. You don't know the rules. No one shits in my backyard without getting my permission."

"Jimmy, I can't give this guy up." I was thinking that if this guy is going to kill me, then if I give up my buddy's name, he's going to get whacked, too. It sounded like an insane reason to die, but it was my code. I honored very little in the world, but the code of not ratting on my buddy was on the top of my list.

That appeared to strike a chord with Bulger. "Okay, I respect that. I respect you won't give up your buddy." Then he leaned back and thought, looking at me all the while. After a few seconds, he said, "I'm going to cut you a favor. You're all set. No one is going to come after you." A wave of relief swept over me.

Whitey extended his hand, which I gratefully shook. "Down the road," he said, "I may need a favor, all right?"

"Jimmy, that won't be a problem." Whitey looked at me for a couple of seconds, always that icy stare, before he turned toward the door. Flemmi and the two other guys stepped aside to let Whitey take the lead. They didn't take their eyes off me until their boss had passed them.

The South Boston I knew so well from the mid '70s through 1990 dripped with Irish pride, love for neighbor, resistance to outsiders, and a desire to run its own show. It was the perfect place for a guy like Whitey Bulger to build a massive criminal enterprise and earn a reputation as a gentleman bandit and legendary street warrior. It was also the perfect place for a politician like Whitey's brother Billy Bulger to build power. I believe that Billy Bulger was, and remains, one of Southie's best assets. I also believe he orchestrated corruption and helped run interference for his brother against law enforcement. Billy had to have known what his brother Whitey was up to.

For a young kid who couldn't imagine winning in life the legitimate way, Southie was its own world with its own rules. Why ever leave? There was always a hustle or deal to make, cheap rent, and a bar on every corner where you had friends to share the booze, the fun, the stories. And if you wanted to go legit, there was always a city councilor who could put you in touch with the right government job. A phone call and a promise of a campaign contribution and, a few Mondays later, you were at the parks and recreation department, housing department, or some other bureaucratic hole in the wall where you could feed at the public trough for as long as you wanted. All most of us needed was Southie, and nothing else.

After I started working for Whitey in 1985, no more than a few days would elapse between jobs; I'd be asked to take care of a situation, to collect some money, or to send someone a message. Most of the time, Kevin Weeks, one of Whitey's top dogs, would call to give me my assignment. When Whitey dealt with me directly, he didn't say much. Sometimes, he wouldn't talk at all. He'd just sit in his car and show me a piece of paper with a name and instructions on it.

Working for Whitey gave me a feeling of ultimate power. With my background as a fighter, selling drugs for Whitey made it inevitable that I would do other things for him as well. Whitey ruled through intimidation and fear. Anyone who assisted him in creating a climate of intimidation and fear became, as the Boston Globe once said of me, a "Bulger favorite."

My job description was simple: From 1985 to 1990, I worked for Whitey as a street soldier, an enforcer, a leg-breaker, a drug-runner. I was the hired muscle who distributed drugs for my boss and broke the limbs of those who disrespected him. I was often sent on missions that made me feel I was pushing up against the icy shoulder of death.

Whitey was 30 years older than me. I wanted to believe that he could give me back some of what I had lost. My parents neglected the family, and all five of us kids were committed to the Department of Public Welfare on May 13, 1963, when I was four. My innocence died early. I'm not trying to place all the blame for what I became on the shoulders of the biological parents who never gave a shit about me. Thousands who grew up like me did not embrace lives of crime. They don't have blood on their hands. I am who I am. For better or worse, this is the man I became.

Whitey was evil incarnate, but he liked me enough to educate me in the ways of the South Boston streets that, despite my smarts, I hadn't yet learned. And I was a grateful student.

Drug dealing got messy sometimes. This one kid owed me about 3,000 bucks at one point. He was new to the drug trade when he started buying from me. It didn't take long before he was screwed up on drugs, and he ran into a cash problem. He didn't have the money to pay me and was so terrified that he bolted. If I really wanted to find him, I could've, but he was a friend of my brother Ronnie, so I didn't expend too much effort tracking him down.

A few years after that, I was at Canobie Lake Park in New Hampshire, and I saw the dealer with his family. Quite a hiding place, huh? When he saw me, he started backing away with this look of terror on his face. I'm convinced he would have left his wife and kids right there. But I waved to him and shouted, "Don't worry. I don't have any problem."

Did he take advantage of the break I gave him? Nah, he came back to Southie and, to make matters worse, was suspected of ratting on the Southie boys. The penalty for treason was death.

One night me and two buddies kidnapped him from his apartment. We duct-taped his arms and legs, threw him into the trunk of a black Ford LTD, and headed out to the Blue Hills in Milton, where we'd put two bullets in the back of his head and bury him. It was the first time I'd had to kill anybody, but I wasn't thinking much about what that meant. It's business. Nothing personal.

We only had a couple turns to make before we were on 93 South, when we saw the blue lights of a cop car flashing. Turned out, our car had a broken taillight. The two cops looked in the car and recognized its occupants. One asked us if we minded if he looked in the trunk. We said, "Yeah, we kind of do."

The trunk was popped, and the condemned man was discovered. Me and my cohorts were arrested on kidnapping charges. They dragged us all into court, but this dealer wouldn't testify against us. The cops had no choice but to release us. I never saw that drug dealer again.

It all fell apart on a hot August morning. I was outside my apartment on Gold Street in South Boston, heading to Connolly's Corner Café, a bar of which I was the manager of record, when I noticed an undercover car slowly driving by with two cops inside.

I said, "Hey there, are you guys looking for me?"

"Who are you?" a cop yelled back.

"Eddie MacKenzie," I said. "And if you want me, here I am."

A few days later, I was standing outside, stretching my legs in the prison yard at the Danbury Federal Correctional Institution in Connecticut with four Southie buddies who were in the can with me. Things happen quickly sometimes. We'd been outside 10 minutes when I saw one of Danbury's most notorious guests, a "celebrity" inmate by the name of Raymond J. "Junior" Patriarca, the Providence-based godfather of the New England Mafia.

Patriarca made a motion with his head for us to walk over to him. We did as instructed. He was on the shortish side, five-six, with olive skin, a Roman nose, and a fat belly. There were no hellos, no pleasantries. Smiling, Patriarca asked, "You know why you're here, don't you?" Without waiting for our response, he dropped the bomb. "You're here because you got ratted out by your boy Whitey. We've known for years he was a canary."

No one spoke. We didn't know what to say to Patriarca, a quintessential Mafia don, no rocket scientist but still a lot wiser to the ways of the street than us.

I didn't believe him right away. We'd all suspected that Whitey had been paying off the feds for years, but this? Suddenly, I felt a deep pain inside that was nothing like fear. Fear I'd learned to deal with years ago. Yeah, I was in jail and I might be going down for 10 years. But that didn't shake me up like this was beginning to do.

Had I been shanked by my boss?

(Login IrishHood)
Forum Owner

The Early Years

No score for this post
November 28 2005, 12:49 AM 

The Winter Hill Gang is a loose confederation of Boston, Massachusetts area, mostly Irish-American organized crime figures. It derives its name from the Winter Hill neighborhood of Somerville, Massachusetts north of Boston. Its members have included notorious Boston gangster James J. "Whitey" Bulger and hitman Stephen J. "The Rifleman" Flemmi.

While Winter Hill Gang members are alleged to have been involved with most typical organized crime related activities, they are perhaps most known for fixing horse races in the northeastern United States. Twenty-one members and associates, including Bulger's predecessor Howie Winter, were indicted by federal prosecutors in 1979.

The Winter Hill Gang also played a central role in the Boston Irish Mob Wars of the 1960s between Winter Hill leader James McLean and Bernard McLaughlin's Charlestown Mob.

A movie about the Irish Mob Wars, "The Winter Hill Gang," is scheduled to begin production in Boston in fall 2005. The film is rumored to be starring George Clooney, Matt Damon, Ben Affleck, and Mark Wahlberg.

(Login IrishHood)
Forum Owner

James "Buddy" McLean

No score for this post
November 28 2005, 12:53 AM 

James "Buddy" McLean was the first leader of the Somerville, Massachusetts Irish gang known as the "Winter Hill Gang" in the 1960s. After Charlestown, Massachusetts mobster Bernie McLaughlin's assassination attempt, McLean shot him dead in Charlestown, in broad daylight. Although he was acquitted of all charges, Mclean was later shot dead by "The McLaughlin Brothers" gang assassin Cornelius Hughes. He was succeded by Howie Winter and later James "Whitey" Bulger.

(Login IrishHood)
Forum Owner

James P. Flynn

No score for this post
January 24 2006, 11:44 AM 

James P. Flynn (born February 5, 1934 in Boston, Massachusetts). An Irish-American Bostonian, teamster, and film actor. He was a reputed member of the famous Winter Hill Gang.

Jimmy Flynn has appeared in many films shot in the New England area. He has also been the Teamster Union's coordinator on film shoots. One of his best friends is Stephen "The Rifleman" Flemmi, a professional hitman spending time in prison.

In 2000 Flynn ordered a snack truck owner and operator Susan Christy who was working on the film set of "What's the Worst That Could Happen," to quit in order for his friend and fellow Teamster Robert Martini to get the business with his truck. When Christy refused Flynn threatened her equipment. Flynn told Martini that Christy would have to be killed or else people would "lose respect" for him. He told Martini that he should be the one to murder her since he would be the one to ultimately benefit from the deed. When George Cashman heard the plan he called Flynn to task and ordered him not to kill her but to send her a message. On August 15, 2000 while the movie was being shot Christy was attacked by Teamster Bartley Small. Christy reported the incident to the police but ultimately never filed charges.

Flynn is still currently under indictment by the United States federal government for racketeering.

As an actor Flynn can be seen in such films as Good Will Hunting, The Cider House Rules and What's the Worst that Could Happen?

(Login IrishHood)
Forum Owner

James "Spike" O'Toole

No score for this post
January 24 2006, 11:47 AM 

James "Spike" O'Toole was an Irish-American gangster from Dorchester, Massachusetts. He was a close friend of The Winter Hill Gang of Somerville, and their leader James "Buddy" McLean. He was targeted for assassination by The McLaughlin Brothers gang of Charlestown, when a Cambridge gangster named Ronald Dermody fell in love with his girlfriend. Dermody made a deal with George McLaughlin that if they would kill O'Toole, he would kill McLean. Dermody's plan backfired and he wound up dead, and The McLaughlin's forgot about O'Toole. Years later, in December of 1973, O'Toole (Who had survived many assassination attempts) was ran over by a gangland assassin while leaving a bar in South Boston.

(Login IrishHood)
Forum Owner

Ronald Dermody

No score for this post
January 24 2006, 11:56 AM 

Ronald Dermody was an Irish-American gangster from Cambridge, Massachusetts and a member of Whitey Bulger's bank robbing team. Dermody, the son of gangster Joe Dermody, at some point in the early 1960s, made the mistake of falling in love with the girlfreind of Winter Hill Gang member James "Spike" O'Toole. So Dermody, despite his ties with the gang, made a deal with Charlestown mobster, and enemy of Winter Hill Gang leader James "Buddy" McLean, George McLaughlin. The deal was, if McLaughlin would take care of O'Toole, Dermody would do the same with McLean.

Unfortunatly, for Dermody, he agreed to kill McLean first. He took a shot at McLean, but missed, and Dermody went into hiding in Cambridge. He then called crooked FBI agent H. Paul Rico for help. Rico agreed to meet Dermody at the Watertown-Belmont line, a spot Rico picked, to discuss his problem. Rico then called one-time informant Buddy McLean and told him about the meeting. Dermody showed up to the meeting, as scheduled, and was met there by Buddy McLean who shot him dead on the spot.

(Login IrishHood)
Forum Owner

Francis P. Salemme

No score for this post
January 24 2006, 2:14 PM 

Francis P. Salemme, AKA "Cadillac Frank", was a prominent half Irish half Italian hitman for Boston's Winter Hill Gang during the 1960s. After serving time in prison from 1972 to 1989, he became the leader of the Patriarca crime family. He is currently in prison awaiting trial on perjury charges.

Salemme joined the Winter Hill Gang sometime around the mid to late 1950s, where he established himself as a leading hitman, along with Stephen Flemmi, during the Irish Mob Wars against the Charlestown Mob.

In 1969, Salemme fled the state after being indicted for attempted-murder, eluding capture by federal authorities until his arrest in New York City by FBI agent John Connolly in 1971[1]. Sentenced to seventeen years (although partner Steve Flemmi was not charged), Salemme was imprisoned from 1972 to 1989, then was released.

In January 1995, he was indicted on racketeering charges along with Whitey Bulger and Stephen Flemmi. Salemme was arrested in Fort Lauderdale, Florida and charged with racketeering, crossing state lines for criminal activity, extortion, conspiracy, and loansharking. He was convicted and sentenced to 11 years imprisonment. While serving his sentence, Salemme agreed to become a government informant and appeared before a Congressional committee shortly after his release in 2003.

Samemme was again arrested in November 2004 for perjury during a federal investigation regarding the 1993 murder of nightclub owner Steve Disarro, a charge for which he is currently awaiting trial.

(Login IrishHood)
Forum Owner

Pictures

No score for this post
November 16 2006, 11:58 AM 

New pictures added 16/12/06

Larry
(no login)

Rico-Dermody-McLean

No score for this post
August 9 2009, 6:09 PM 

Rico idolized McLean. He would help Winter Hill any way he could. Buddy was not an informant. It was the other way around. Cops, detectives, agents volunteered information to Buddy often. He had many friends on both sides of the fence. Raymond Patriarca thought very highly of Buddy. He believed McLean's gang was much tougher and more capable than his own North End subordinates. He was right.

Larry
(no login)

People forget.

No score for this post
August 11 2009, 2:45 AM 

Around 1947, Rocky Marciano lost a three round decision to Chelsea's Joe DeAngelis. It was widely agreed that the tall, highly skilled DeAngelis was the best boxer Marciano ever faced including his years as a professional. A decade later, DeAngelis got into a bar fight with Buddy McLean. McLean nearly killed him. People forget or never knew how tough Buddy McLean was. It was the admiration of his ability to fight that built the foundation of the Winter Hill Gang. There were and still are plenty of hard men from Charlestown and South Boston. They are not in the same league as the Somerville Winter Hill boys from the 50s and 60s. And Buddy McLean was far beyond his associates. Remember, he had his own stool or table in every bar in Somerville and Charlestown. During the Irish gang war of the 60s Buddy would brazenly walk into Charlestown watering holes with Tommy Ballou. Several times, McLean did this without carrying a gun. The night he was ambushed by the Hughes brothers on Broadway Somerville, Buddy could have survived if stayed behind the car from where he would have been able to return fire. He chose to run into the line of fire in order to save a wounded Rico Sacramone. The gang carried on after Buddy McLean died. They became more powerful and very wealthy. Some of them are still around. As years go by, old people tend to forget and young people never learn about the originator of the Winter Hill Gang. He was a well built, super tough Irishman, with sharp blue eyes. He was very smart and protective of his family, friends, and his reputation as the best street fighter Boston has ever seen.

(Login IrishHood)
Forum Owner

McLean

No score for this post
August 29 2009, 1:02 PM 

Thanks Larry! Great stories! Keep em coming!

(Login IrishHood)
Forum Owner

John 'Red' Shea

No score for this post
September 11 2007, 6:29 PM 

John "Red" Shea (b. August 12, 1965) was an Irish-American mobster from Boston involved in narcotics and an associate of crime kingpin Whitey Bulger and the Winter Hill Gang during the 1980s and 90s.

Childhood

Shea was born in Boston City Hospital and lived in a small two bedroom apartment in a three family wooden row house on I Street in South Boston. In this home, he lived with his mother Mabel and his three older sisters Paula, Claire and Maureen. His father was Al Shea, an alcoholic Irishman who fixed television sets for a living. When Shea was nine, his father died of cirrhosis of the liver although Shea said it didn't matter much because "he was already gone from my life and now he was gone from his life".

Shea grew up on the mean streets of South Boston; at the age of five he was beaten by two older children, spit on and left in a gutter. He went home bleeding to his older sister Paula who attacked the two older kids with a coat rack, as the other child ran away. After this, Shea's sister Paula talked Shea's mother Mabel into enrolling Shea into a gym to begin a career as a boxer, which became the young man's major passion. At a young age Shea began boxing as the protégé of Tommy Connors, then twelve years old. At the age of six, he had his first competition in the Baby Golden Gloves. Shea soon became Connors' star pupil and Connors became the closest thing Shea ever had to a father figure. Shea won the Junior Olympic Shampionship for the first time when he was fourteen, which he would go on to win three times in total. He compiled a record of sixty wins and six loses.

Shea attended high school in Roxbury, a heavily black area, as part of Boston's "busing" program. Racial tensions led to an incident in which Shea and a few other Irish-American students fought some black students in the vacant auditorium. Eventually Shea dropped out of school, got a G.E.D., continued his boxing career, and started his life of crime on the streets of Southie.

Crime & Boxing

Shea began his life of crime by committing low-level street crime with his childhood friends Johnny Baldwin, Billy Mahoney and Ray Talent. On the day of his sister Paula's wedding, which Shea begged his mother to not make him go, Shea's friends and partner Johnny Baldwin, and a few other friends Bobby McCormick, Billy Welch and Keith Miller all got drunk and began to drive to a fight with kids from the Point. Their car struck a transit bus and all of Shea's friends were killed.

Shea's first arrest came on his mother's birthday in 1980, after he allegedly assaulted his sister Claire. Shea was saved by his sister Paula who testified that Shea's niece Erin, Claire's daughter, told her that "Uncle Jay didn't do it, my mommy's making me say it." In the end, Shea was given a two and a half year suspended sentence.

Not long thereafter Shea became involved with the Winter Hill Gang via a drug dealer by the name of Paul "Pole Cat" Moore. Moore brought Shea around to all the bars that were connected to members of the Winter Hill Gang in Southie and taught him how to deal drugs. Although now Shea was entrenching himself in the street life, he continued his dreams of boxing. Shea wound up working with a famous boxing trainer by the name of Eddie Flynn, who changed Shea's ring name from John Shea to Sean O'Shea, to make him sound more ethnically Irish. Shea decided that Flynn would ruin his career, so he left his working venture with Eddie Flynn and called up a young lawyer by the name of Tony Cardinale who was born and raised in Hell's Kitchen, and would go on to be on the lawyer team for John "Johnny Boy" Gotti, Jr., Gennaro "Jerry" Angiulo, Anthony "Fat Tony" Salerno and Francis "Cadillac Frank" Salemme. Tony Cardinale's brother Dennis began working with Shea and brought him back to California were Shea had his first bout against a Mexican fighter that Shea would win a $500 purse and gain his first victory. After losing his second bout, Shea returned to Southie and the drug dealing business with Paul Moore.

Going Out on His Own

Shea wound up moving into Moore's apartment and they moved most of their product out of the bar next to Moore's apartment, Triple O's, which in name belonged to Winter Hill Gang Lieutenant Kevin "Turtleneck Pants" O'Neil, but was really owned by James "Whitey" Bulger. Bar bouncer Kevin "Two" Weeks was also a member of the Winter Hill Gang and would become one of Whitey's two protégés. Shea's apprenticeship with Moore would be short lived; he soon began selling ounces of his own. His operation increased in scale and eventually he began travelling to the Florida Keys to pick up large quantities of cocaine from Cuban and Colombian drug dealers. Eventually Shea's trade was noticed by Whitey Bulger

Hooking Up With The Winter Hill Gang & Penelope

Threatened with violent reprisal unless he entered the Bulger organization, Shea began working as a Soldier in the drug crew led by a Lieutenant known as "Mickey O." After a while other dealers that were apart of Mickey O's crew, including Shea's original partner Paul "Pole Cat" Moore, began to realize that they were being kept out of the loop and shorted of product by "Mickey O." Shea raised the issue with Whitey Bulger, who forced Mickey into retirement and drove him out of Southie forever.

Around the same time that Shea was being recruited into Whitey's organization, he fell in love with a woman by the name of Penelope (real name withheld for her protection) who had olive skin, big brown eyes, brown hair, full lips and a nice body. She was of Italian heritage. Shea soon thereafter became very serious with Penelope and the two young love birds were quickly falling in love with one another, after Shea bought Penelope a pair of diamond earrings, Penelope's mother did some research on Mr. John "Red" Shea, and asked Penelope to meet this Irish boy from Southie. Upon meeting Penelope's mother Shea was confronted with the fact that people in the neighbourhood had told her that Shea was a part of Whitey Bulger's Irish Mafia and was a big time coke dealer. Shea denied both claims, he even denied the existence of Bulger's Irish Mob. When Penelope's mother asked Shea to promise that if he went to prison he would walk away from Penelope, Shea told her that he couldn't promise that. Shea would later wind up proposing to Penelope, but, the wedding never took place. Shea stated that he could not bring a wife and children into the life he chose, he said he took Whitey's advice on family and ran with it.

The Young Lieutenant

Not long after the banishment of "Mickey O", Whitey knows who he wants to put in Mickey's place as Lieutenant and Boss of the Winter Hill Gang's drug operation. None other than John "Red" Shea. To organize a test for Shea, Kevin "Two" Weeks shakes down one of the drug dealers that Shea was being paid to protect. Shortly thereafter Shea flipped out at Kevin Weeks and threatened his life. Not long after Weeks gives Shea a call and says that Whitey wants to talk to him at the South Boston Liquor Mart. When Shea arrives he is led to the basement by Weeks; Weeks stands up against the wall and tries to cock back his Uzi submachine gun but can't quite cock it back. Then from the shadow's Shea sees Whitey Bulger emerge with an Uzi of his own in his hand. Whitey then tells Shea that Shea's "father figure" Tommy Connors is in trouble and has some heavy debts to Whitey that he has yet to pay. Whitey tells Shea that because Shea is close to Connors Whitey wants to know where Connors hides his money. Shea then replies "Pull the trigger, if you're taking from him...then you're taking from me." (now that's a ballsy move!) Whitey then cocked back his Uzi and pointed it at Shea; seconds passed. Whitey lifts up the Uzi and uncocks it and tells Shea that it was all a test, a test that Shea passed. Whitey told Shea "You got fucking big balls. You're loyal. You're one loyal fucking guy. Now you're with me". The next day at twenty years old Shea became a Lieutenant in the Winter Hill Irish Mob and the Boss of Bulger's Drug Operation, making him have a large amount of heat on him, but he also controlled the Mob's most lucrative racket.

With his new rank and power Shea now has a very sizeable crew working for him including the MacKenzie brothers, Ronnie and Eddie, Paul "Pole Cat" Moore, Tommy Cahill and many others. But, all was not well. After Shea was given his new seat of power, he began to realize that there were many drug dealers in Boston, on his turf, that were independent, as he was when he first started his operation. Shea decided that he had to force them to work for him. Shea's policy was for dealing on his turf with a different product you would pay him back the money that your product would have cost, had you bought it from him, and then you would be stuck buying their product and only their product. An example of this policy was when Shea caught a dealer selling coke in Connolly's Cafe, a dealer that was not buying from one of his guys or selling for one of his guys. Shea went absolutely crazy and dragged him into the back room, screaming "You motherfucker, I'll rip your fucking eyes out of your head! You don't sell in this fucking bar again unless you deal with me. Now you're going to have to pay me back for selling in here, and you only buy the product off me!", the dealer was almost in tears, he pleaded with Shea and said that he would buy the product off of him but didn't have the money to pay Shea back. Shea then pistol whipped the dealer with a .38 revolver and put the barrel of the gun to the middle of the dealer's forehead. One of Shea's guys by the name of Jackie Mackie grabbed Shea and got him off of the dealer. The guy came up with the money the next day and from there on out only bought his product from Shea or one of Shea's distributors.

After a while Shea makes Tommy Cahill his personal driver and pays him seven thousand for every trip that Cahill takes with him down to Florida. But, Shea grew tired of Jerry (his Florida supplier) or as he called him "My Tony Montana Connection", because of his flashy and wild ways. He moved on and began purchasing his product from the man who supplied Jerry, Jesus Nodarse. One summer day Shea and Cahill arrive for another pick up from Nodarse, but, Nodarse is dry so he decides that he will bring Shea and Cahill to one of Nodarse's connects to pick up the product. All three men pile into Shea and Cahill's rented Nissan and pull out of Nodarse's driveway. Just a couple of blocks down a pick up truck pulls up in front of their car and stops, then another car pulls up from behind them with flashing blue lights. It was the police...or so they thought. Instead it wound up being a couple of Cubans who took Shea and Cahill's rented Nissan, Shea's gun that was inside the car and $200,000. Shea then began to threaten Nodarse with death and Nodarse began to make phone calls trying to get the money, car and gun back in order to save his life. After a while Shea and Cahill both realize that Nodarse was telling the truth, and he really did have nothing to do with it. In the end Shea took Nodarse's four kilos of cocaine that he had and went on his way back to Southie. He was able to make the money that had been taken from him back, after stepping on the product many more times than he should have.

Can The Youngster Stand the Heat?

Not long thereafter things began to heat up in Southie. It was clear that Shea and his main associates were under investigation. A Boston Detective by the name of Beers had been following Shea around with a D.E.A. Agent. They wanted to bust Shea. One afternoon Shea receive a phone call and was told that the D.E.A and the Boston Police were raiding the South Boston Liquor Mart and the Rotary Variety, both owned by James "Whitey" Bulger. Shea drove by and saw that the two shops were actually being raided, so Shea decided to get off of the streets. He went and worked out for a while, he said it helped to pump some iron, get the heart rate up, sweat and sweat and clear my head. Later that night as Shea returned to his apartment Detective Beers and about twenty other cops and agents apprehended Shea and served him with a search warrant for his premises. When Beers approached him Shea told him to get back and asked "Who wants to get it first?!", a F.B.I. Agent came up from behind him and Shea kicked him in the gut, a move Shea would later regret. Shea was placed under arrest for Assault and Batter of a Federal Officer. The next at the federal court buildings Tony Cardinale is waiting for Shea. Cardinale notifies Red that he has only been charged with the assault and battery charge, but they also found a few pounds of marijuana, a .357 snub-nose shotgun and ammunition in his apartment, but for the time being the charges were not pressed against him. Cardinale did give Shea some good news, the charges were not going to stick. The charges were later dropped and Shea walked away scott free, but, the twenty-four year old did get all the bad press that comes along with a mobsters arrest.

The Indictment

After the assault and battery charge, Shea sensed that something bad was about to happen. To him it was like a cat and mouse game, he slowed down the business, got out of town as often as possible to make it seem as though he had nothing to do with any criminal activities in Southie. He remembered being tailed by agents when he was leaving his apartment, he was followed all around, so instead of driving, Shea decided to walk everywhere...making it a little hard for the feds to follow him without him realizing it. On August 8th, 1990, Shea was walking down to the D Street Deli to meet with Paul Moore and Kevin Weeks when he noticed a Detective by the name of Duwan pass by him slowly while he was walking down Columbia Road, about a block and a half ahead Duwan pulled over, Sheak new what was going on. Shea turned around and ran to George "Georgie Boy" Hogan's house, who was one of Shea's men who after Shea went away would become the Lieutenant of Shea's crew and after Weeks went away would become the Boss. George's son Michael, another guy in Shea's crew, was on the porch, Shea says "Mike, watch this. Any minute an agent is gonna come around that corner.". Michael tells Shea that the feds just hit the D Street Deli, where his father is. Around the corner comes Duwan, so he ran again until Duwan caught up to him. Duwan gets out of his car with his gun drawn and a shakey hand, he tells Shea to cuff himself which Shea refuses to do. Back up comes and Shea is apprehended. After he was apprehended he was spoken to by five different D.E.A. Agents who wanted dirt on Jesus Nodarse, Steven Flemmi, Whitey Bulger, Kevin Weeks, Kevin O'Neil and others. He told one agent, just inches away from his face, while handcuffed "I am no fucking rat. You got that. There is nothing worse in life, is there? So go fuck yourself. The fucking games are over. It is finished. You got it. Put me back in my cell.", this is where the interrogations ended.

The next day Shea was on the front page of the newspaper. They had rounded up 51 mobsters in total in what the papers called "a sweeping blow to the criminal organization of reputed underworld figure, James J. (Whitey) Bulger". The charges ranged from distributing cocaine up to conspiring to operate a criminal narcotics enterprise. Shea was at the top of the list:

John "Red" Shea, 24
John "Jackie" Mack, 42
Walter Bagley, 38
Thomas "Tommy" Cahill, 42
George "Georgie Boy" Hogan, 44
Tommy Connors, 44
William "Billy" McCarthy, 26
Paul "Pole Cat" Moore, 40
John "Jackie" Cherry, 39
Kevin "Andre the Giant" MacDonald, 33
Edward "Eddie Mac" MacKenzie, Jr., 22
Louis "Louie" Sasso, 40
Jesus Nodarse, 50

There were also others, but, these were the main players in the indictment. Shea, John "Jackie" Mack, Paul "Pole Cat" Moore and John "Jackie" Cherry were all charged with Operating a Continuing Criminal Enterprise through their Narcotics Business, an offense that carries a twenty years to life sentence...the R.I.C.O. Act. After the indictment was read and all of the defendants plead not guilty, Shea faced the reality that no bail was to be set for him, he was then transported to the closest federal prison. He took a three-hour trip by bus to Danbury, Connecticut. All of the men were put in the hole. In his second day in the hole Shea turned 25, Paul Moore, Eddie MacKenzie, Tommy Cahill, Louie Sasso and Walter Bagley (who were all with him) sang Shea "Happy Birthday", after an orderly had given them a bag of popcorn for Shea's birthday. On his first day in general population he met a Patriarca Family Soldato by the name of Carmen Tortora, who had gotten him soap, shower shoes, a toothbrush, floss, shampoo and a hair comb...as a sign of respect. Not long after, an article comes out in the Providence Journal about how John "Red" Shea is Raymond Patriarca, Jr.'s bodyguard inside Danbury, which according Shea is completely fake. Things take a turn for the worse. After this news story Shea is now looked at as Patriarca's bodyguard and the go-between between the head of the New England Cosa Nostra and the head of the Southie Irish Mob, he is moved to Plymouth County Correctional Facility, only an hour and a half from home.

Time To Get Red Out

Tony Cardinale continually tried to get Shea out on bail, seeing as how many members of the Winter Hill Gang that were indicted had already been released on bail. Cardinale could not convince either the federal magistrate or the judge to allow his client the opportunity to post bail and get himself out of prison, even though he had a mother, sisters, nieces, a girlfriend and a job waiting for him on the outside. Whitey suggested he switch lawyers and sent up Richie Egbert, Shea stated that in all fairness to Tony he was in the pre-trial stages of his work on the John Gotti and Frank "Frankie Loc" LoCascio case where Salvatore "Sammy the Bull" Gravano had turned informant. Richie Egbert was able to get Shea bail, where Cardinale argued that Shea deserved bail because he was a good man(which didn't work)...Egbert got him bail on the grounds that with some fourteen hundred hours of wiretap and phone tap evidence he and his client needed to be able to listen together and take notes, something they could not do in a federal penitentiary. The judge agreed and set Shea's bail, it took two days for the paper work and he was released thanks to Whitey paying his bail, but he was put under house arrest while awaiting trial. It took just about a year for Shea to be bailed out, a year that would come off of whatever time he was slammed with.

After being bailed out and placed on house arrest Shea was only allowed to leave his house to attend mass, see his lawyers or get medical care. He had little contact with any of the major Mob figures who had not yet been placed under indictment. Although Weeks and Whitey did see him once or twice at his lawyer's office, in order to talk about his case.

When the prosecution and defense attorneys began to meet on hearings about Shea's case and about possible plea bargains, Shea told Egbert that no matter what he would only accept a guilty plea if there was a clause that said that Shea could not be called to any grand jury hearings. Without that, Shea knew that for the next 52 months, he could be subpoenaed before a grand jury and pleading his Fifth Amendment rights would get him an extra 18 months to life if the grand jury added on to the end of his sentence. This was something in which Shea was not prepared to deal with, being subpoenaed and granted immunity, pleading the fifth and getting more time added to a plea deal that he struck to get himself less time. Shea was able to get a plea deal that called for him pleading guilty to distribution of cocaine, trafficking of cocaine and a managerial charge, but not the ongoing criminal narcotics enterprise charge. He was sentenced to eleven years and four months, including time served, and no grand juries. A few weeks before Shea had to report to federal prison he met with Whitey at the Old Colony Housing Projects in Southie and Whitey told him, "You're one guy I always knew I never have to worry about." and assured Shea that when he returned to Southie after his bit he would be taken care of and his mother and his girlfriend would be taken care of while he was away. Shea's lawyer Egbert was even able to get the prosecution to agree to a self-surrender and the ankle bracelet was removed for Shea's last weekend of freedom.

F.C.I. Milan

On Shea's last night of freedom he took a plane to Detroit, which he paid for on his own and booked a hotel room for the night, he paid cash. When he gets to his room he talks to Penelope for the last time as a free man, and his mother. He had a "great steak and a bucket of ice cold beers", he did not feel like checking out Detroit at all. He stayed in and slept well for the last time for a long time in a nice big bed. He took a taxi cab to Milan the next morning, the cabbie asked Shea if he wanted him to wait for him for his visit and Shea said he'd be waiting for a little more than eleven years, the cabbie offered to turn the cab around and get Shea out of there, but Shea declined the offer.

As far as Shea was concerned Milan was nothing but a sea of vermin, but after a while he ran into and met some decent guys. He met two guys from Dearborn, a father and son doing thirty and forty years for a drug operation, the father was white and the son was half white and half Latino, he met a one-armed older guy by the name of Moe, who was one of the head Muslims in Milan. Eventually Shea even ran into some Italians from Rhode Island and New York, he would socialize with them, take a walk and talk with them in the yard, see a few of them in the gym working out. Then his old pal, the man he was supposidly hired to be the bodyguard for, Raymon Patriarca, Jr. shows up. Shea quickly returned the favor that Patriarca had given him in Danbury, he bought Patriarca all new clothes, underwear, a new pillow and cotton blankets, little things like that made doing the time a little easier. Shea would play cards and talk with Patriarca. After a while Shea got a transfer to Fort Dix, New Jersey.

Betrayal

In 1997, Shea was betrayed by the two men he respected most, James "Whitey" Bulger and Stephen "the Rifleman" Flemmi. He was also betrayed in 1993 by Paul "Pole Cat" Moore and again in 2000 by Kevin "Two" Weeks, but even with all of these men whom he respected and had respected him for saving their own skin by turning rat, just because Whitey and Flemmi were doing it for twenty-five and thirty-five years respectively, Shea remained "honorable" and kept to the code of Southie. Upon his release on August 7th, 2002, Shea was greeted by the new boss of the Irish Mob, George "Georgie Boy" Hogan, his son Michael, a soldier in the Irish Mob and one of his three attorneys and his friend Fran Hurley. He saw Penelope who cried, not because Shea was home but because she was too old for him and she wanted him to be able to have someone that could give him children.

John Shea is currently free from prison.

Cavanagh
(no login)

Kevin "Two" Weeks

No score for this post
November 20 2006, 6:12 PM 

I wrote this bio after reading about Weeks' life in his true-crime book Brutal. It is also posted on my website which you can check out here: http://www.angelfire.com/blog/organizedcrime/main.html

Kevin Weeks was born on March 21st, 1956 in South Boston, he was the fifth child in a family of six and grew up in the Old Colony Housing Projects, by Southie standards he had a normal childhood. His father, John Weeks, was a half Irish half Welsch boxer originally from Brooklyn, New York. His mother was an Irish woman through and through. Weeks' father taught Kevin and his other brothers how to box, his father also worked for extra money by training boxers. When Weeks wasn't boxing he was on a swimteam traveling all over New England to different swim meets, he also played basketball and Ping Pong. In 1976 Weeks became a bouncer at a popular South Boston bar by the name of the Triple O's, owned by the three O'Neil brothers, this bar was also frequented by many members of the Winter Hill Irish Mob including the infamous James "Whitey" Bulger. It was here that Weeks first met Whitey, as well as Whitey's murderous Italian counterpart Stephen "the Rifleman" Flemmi. In 1978 Weeks began working for Whitey part-time as Whitey's muscle and personal driver. This is were Weeks had his first golden opportunity to prove himself to Whitey Bulger. His first opportunity was in 1978 when Whitey suggested that Weeks go for a ride with him and another guy, at first Weeks became a nervous wreck wondering if he had done something wrong, and if he was going to be able to go home that night. Then Whitey began yelling at the other man in the car and Weeks knew that it had absolutely nothing to do with him. Jimmy grabbed the knife that the other man had and slashed him across the neck with the dull side of the blade, Weeks then began to smack and punch the other man in the car busting his nose and knocking out his teeth. Whitey then grabbed a police-type leather sap from the guys back pocket and began beating the man with that, hitting Weeks as well. This was over the guy smacking Whitey's niece, which Weeks and Whitey later found out he did not even do, but, he did smack another girl. Weeks did not feel remorseful because he said "the kid deserved it for laying his hands on a girl."

As time went on while working for Whitey, Weeks decided that it was time to settle down. On April 26th, 1980 Weeks married his longtime girlfriend Pamela Cavaleri. Many members of the Winter Hill Irish Mob were at the wedding including Stephen "the Rifleman" Flemmi, Kevin O'Neil, Freddy Weichel and James "Whitey" Bulger, as well as Weeks' former boxing training Johnnie Pretzie, these men were all sat at the same table were no photographs were allowed to be taken. But, at that table, an Arab-American bookmaker by the name of Louis "Louie" Latiff was also supposed to be present at this table for Weeks' wedding, but, he never made it. One night he was dropped off by Brian "Balloonhead" Halloran to meet with Whitey and Flemmi and he was murdered. Whitey later joked about the murder saying "He was color coordinated. He was wearing green underwear and was in a green garbage bag.", at Weeks' wedding Flemmi and Whitey continued to joke around about the Latiff murder by stating "Say hi to Louie." Flemmi then made a show of wiping his face with a napkin and joked, "He keeps drinking and it keeps on leaking out of him." The whole table would then burst out laughing in response. In the year 1982, just four years after beginning to work part time as apart of the Winter Hill Irish Mob, he was now full time, he left his legit jobs and became a full time gangster, soon thereafter he had two reasons to celebrate. On May 11th, 1982, Whitey was tipped off as to the were-abouts of a small time drug dealer and low level member of the Winter Hil Irish Mob, Brian "Balloonhead" Halloran. Halloran had stabbed a rival drug dealer or Greek ancestry by the name of George Pappas to death and went to the F.B.I. looking for a deal and agreed to cooperate against the Winter Hill Mob. That night, Weeks "popped his cherry", by getting his hands bloody for the first time and helping to murder Halloran. Weeks staked out the Chinatown Restaraunt that Halloran and friend Michael Donahue, a civilian construction worker, were dining in. He kept in touch with Whitey with a walkie-talkie and watched Halloran and his companion with binoculars. When Halloran began to leave the restaraunt Weeks signalled Whitey by saying "the balloon is in the air!". Whitey then rolled up with a masked man who had a silenced Mac 10 and Whitey had a .30 caliber carbine. Whitey empited thirty shells into the car in which Halloran and Donahue were in and the other man emptied the Mac 10 magazine. Halloran was hit 21 times and Donahue several times as well, both men were dead. On December 12th, 1982 Weeks' wife Pam gave birth to their first son Kevin Barry Weeks, three and a half years later on May 2nd, 1986 Pam would give birth to their second and last son Brian Michael Weeks.

Between the years of 1983 and 1985 Weeks was involved in three different murders were all three bodies were burried at the same house, 799 East Third Street in South Boston, diagonally across from Steven Flemmi's mothers house. The first of the three murders was that of Arthur "Bucky" Barret, a talented safecracker and successful drug dealer for Joe Murray and the Charlestown Crew. In 1980, he had held out giving Whitey his taste of a $1.5 million heist at the Depositor's Trust Bank in Medford. Instead of sharing with Whitey, he gave $100,000 to Francis "Cadillac Frank" Salemme, an old Winter Hill Gang Member who had become a made man in the Patriarca Crime Family. That day was when Barret sealed his faith. For this murder Weeks posed as a street thief who specialized in selling hot diamonds. Weeks, Whitey and Flemmi murdered Bucky in the basement. After Jimmy had shot Bucky in the back of the head, Flemmi cut off his feet and hands and then pulled his teeth out. Phil Costa then showed up and gave Weeks a bag of lime and Weeks burried Bucky. The second of these three murders was that of John McIntyre, a 32 year old drug smuggler and like many others from the Irish communities of South Boston and Charlestown, he was a huge I.R.A. sypmathizer. In 1984, Whitey and Weeks were working on an attempt to smuggle seven tons of ammunition on the Valhalla to be sent to the I.R.A. in Ireland. Weeks met McIntyre through Joe Murray. McIntyre began co-operating with authorities and Whitey was notified by his F.B.I. Handler John Connolly. On November 30th, 1984 McIntyre met with Joe Murray on the Southie waterfront. At the same house mentioned in the Barret murdered Whitey shot McIntyre in the back of the head with a .22 caliber rifle. Flemmi then put his head to McIntyre's chest and reported that there was still a heart beat. Flemmi then picked up McIntyre by his hair and Whitey fired five or six more shots into McIntyre's face. Weeks yet again was assigned to digging duty and burried McIntyre. In 1985 Stevie Flemmi walked into 799 East Third street with a 26 year old woman by the name of Debbie Hussey. Weeks was in a separate room and did not enter the parlor until he heard a thud, when he entered the parlor he saw Whitey Bulger on the ground with his arms wrapped around Hussey's throat and legs wrapped around her torso. After Whitey strangled her, Flemmi insisted that she was still breathing. Flemmi then took a clothesline type of rope and wrapped it around her neck, stuck a stick in it and kept on twisting it like a garrote. Just like the last two murders at this house Flemmie and Weeks played the same rolls. This was the last murder in this house, just six months after this killing the house was sold. On Halloween weekend in 1985, the three bodies--Bucky Barret, John McIntyre and Debbie Hussey--were moved and relocated to a gully overlooking the Southeast Expressway across from Florian Hall on Hill Top Street in the Dorchester section of Boston.

Although Whitey, Weeks and other members of the Winter Hill mob partook in the illegal narcotics trade, they limited themselves to cocaine and marijuana and did not want any other drugs on the streets of Southie. Most dealers listened to the drug rules enforced by the Winter Hill Mob, but, for the few that didn't the gang had their own way of kicking them out of the neighborhood. One of these few excepts to the rule were the Kivlan brothers, Al and Pat, two ex-boxers in their mid-forties with broken noses and scar tissue all around their eyes. After a complaint from a MDC Police Officer and a mother who was worried for the safety of her children because they lived right behind the drug house, Whitey and Weeks decided since the Boston cops couldn't get anything done, they'd handle it their own way. In 1990, the Kivlan brothers were given a warning, after they did not close up shop three of their dealers were given a beating by Kevin Weeks, but, they still didn't want to listen. Then, one night Whitey and Weeks nailed plywood to all the windows of the house with the Kivlan brothers and their wives inside scared shitless, they then spray painted the owrds OUT OF BUSINESS NO DRUGS over the plywood. After this the Kivlan brothers closed up shop and ended their heroin business. A second exception was a younger heroin dealer in the Old Colony Housing Projects, were Weeks had grew up, this made it a personal matter for Weeks because his mother and father still lived in those housing projects. The first time the young dealer was paid a visit he jumped out of the window and took off, he got away, but, the second time he wasn't so lucky, he was caught and given a warning that he was now out of business. He listened, for about a week. A week later his drug operation was back in full swing, when the information got to Weeks, he personally paid the young dealer a visit and gave him a beating, but he still didn't learn, he started dealing again. Then one afternoon while Whitey and Weeks were driving through the Old Colony Housing Projects they saw him walking down the sidewalk and ran him over. He wound up in the hospital with a few broken bones in his leg, then, he closed up shop and moved out of Southie.

In 1999, Weeks along with Lieutenant Kevin O'Neil and other members of the Winter Hill Irish Mob were indicted by the federal government, this was two years after Stephen "the Rifleman" Flemmi, another Lieutenant, had admitted that since 1965 he had been a top echelon informant and Whitey had also been since 1975. It was also just two years after Flemmi admitted that he was able to keep tabs with retired F.B.I. Agent John J. Connolly, Jr. through their commesary Kevin Weeks, the new Boss of the Winter Hill Irish Mob. This statement by Flemmi in return put a huge bull's eye on Weeks' back, making him the lightning rod on top of the house that the feds now needed to bust in order to help clean up the reputation of the F.B.I. based in Boston, Massachussets. Once the indictments came down, it took about two weeks for Weeks to decide to co-operate with authorities hence the nickname Kevin "Two" Weeks. He led authorities to six different bodies that were burried by the Winter Hill Gang, including the triple murder of Debbie Hussy, John McIntyre and Bucky Barrett. He also gave the feds the murder of Brian "Balloonhead" Halloran as well as agreed to testify against Stephen Flemmi, Whitey--if he was ever to be captured, and John Connolly, Jr. He was then sentenced to five years in federal prison. Upon his release in early 2005, Weeks was given the option of entering the Witness Protection Program, but, he turned the offer down and decided that if anyone were after him he'd rather face his problems than hide like a coward. Although he is reffered to by many in Southie as Kevin "Two" Weeks and "Kevin Squeals", many believe that his testimony was planned on the wishes of his mentor Whitey Bulger. Many believe that he was told by Whitey, since Whitey knew Weeks would become the lightning rod for the feds to nab, to give up the hiding spots of bodies and testify against Connolly as well as Flemmi, because Flemmi would take a life imprisonment plea bargain instead of risking the death penalty in the end anyway.

Weeks was released from federal prison in early 2005 and has began a new life, supposidly not involving the Irish Mob in Boston. Only time will tell if the former Irish Mob Chieftain will stay clean or go back and take the Winter Hill Gang back from those who control it now.

Cavanagh
(no login)

Modern Day Chart of the Winter Hill Gang

No score for this post
December 1 2006, 1:56 AM 

I got this from Caddy's website...I got in on the Associates page on my website, along with this site, Gangsters Incorporated and The Real Deal Mob Forum.

UI - Under Indictment
IP - Imprisoned
IN - Inactive

Boss:

George "Georgie Boy" Hogan,54(Southie)

Lieutenants:

Billy Hogan,52(Southie)

Kevin O'Neil,66(Southie)

Members/Associates:

Artie Boumos(Everett)

Micheal Boretti,31/IP(Southie)

William "Billy" Brymer,34/IP(Southie)

Patrick "Dizzy" Coarke(Quincy)

Glen "The Beacon Hill Jew" Davis(Beacon Hill)

Fredrick R. Finnerty,40(Dorchester)

James "Jimmy Pez" Flynn(Southie)

Arthur Gianelli/UI - Brother in law of ex-crooked FBI agent John "Zip" Connolly

Michael Hogan(Southie) - son of Billy other son Billy Jr was shot to death around 2003

Yanik Kawzek,55(Southie)

Michael "White Mike" McArdle(Quincy)

Scott McDermott,32/UI(Everett)

Gregory McLaughlin,58/UI(Chelsea)

Patrick McLaughlin,52

James Montgomery

Alfred O'Roarke

Peter Piro(Somerville)

Vincent "Vinnie" Piro(Somerville)

Mchale "Captain" Rocke(Southie)

Thomas Ryan,74/UI(Winthrop) - used to be apart of the Stephen Flemmi crew

James H. Turpin,44/IP-His coked out brother Micheal flipped on him making him and Billy Brymer get 30 years

Richard "Richie Rich" Turpin(Southie)-Uncle of James

Ralph Valencourt,49(Southie)

Joeseph "Joey Y" Yerardi/UI(Newton)

Gianelli's loanshark and gambling crew:

Dennis Albertelli,52(South End)

Randy Albertelli,26(South End)

Tony "Sonny" Daniels,53(Saugus)

Deeb Homsi,44(Arlington)

Frank Iacaboni,60

Salvatore "Lefty" Ramasci(East Boston)

Eneyda "Harry" Rodriguez

NYirish
(no login)

spam

No score for this post
December 31 2006, 7:04 AM 

Cavanagh you spamming cocksucker, could you have more popups on your site you douchebag

Cavanagh
(no login)

Re: spam

No score for this post
January 1 2007, 6:10 AM 

Hey...it's angelfire...what do you want from me?

Cavanagh
(no login)

Re: spam

No score for this post
January 4 2007, 4:24 AM 

This is the bio from my page(well Johnnie Upahts's page...I help out with some of the bios and get him pictures and shit) on John "Red" Shea, a Lieutenant in the Winter Hill Gang that ran the gang's drug operation. When Shea went to prison George "Georgie Boy" Hogan took over his crew, and then went on to become the new boss of the Winter Hill Gang...the link to my site is http://www.angelfire.com/blog/organizedcrime/main.html also the link to get straight to the Shea bio is http://www.angelfire.com/blog/organizedcrime/winterhillgang/shea.html If you want post questions about Irish Mobsters in my forum, I have boards for The Westies, Winter Hill Gang and Others and I am sure you will be able to get plenty of information.

John "Red" Shea was born on August 12th, 1965 in Boston City Hospital and lived in a small two bedroom apartment in a three family wooden row house on I Street in South Boston. In this home, he lived with his mother Mabel and his three older sisters Paula, Claire and Maureen. His father's name was Al Shea who fixed television sets for a living, he was full blooded Irish and an alcoholic. By the time John was born his father had been kicked out of the house, his mother Mabel was half Irish a quarter Dutch and a quarter English. At age nine Shea's father died of Cirrhosis of the Liver although Shea said it didn't matter much "he was already gone from my life and now he was gone from his life".

Shea grew up on the mean streets of Southie and learned just how mean those streets could be at the tender young age of five. At the age of five Shea was beaten by two older children, spit on and left in a gutter. He went home bleeding to his older sister Paula who attacked of the two older kids with a coatrack, as the other child ran away. After this, Shea's sister Paula talked Shea's mother Mabel into enrolling Shea into a gym to begin a career as a boxer.

As a kid, boxing was everything to Shea. He found it as a world he could relate to, a world where people valued self-protection and admired violence as long as it was controlled. At a young age Shea began boxing as the protege of Tommy Connors, he was twelve years old. At the age of six he had his first competition i nthe Baby Golden Gloves, he fought another youth boxer by the name of Brian Yanovich and won. Shea soon became Connors' star pupil and Connors became the closest thing Shea ever had to a father figure. Connors taught Shea more than just how to box, he also taught Shea how to hand women. Shea won the Junior Olympic Shampionship for the first time when he was fourteen, which he went on to win three times in total. He compiled a record of sixty wins and six loses.

In high school Shea was eventually bused to Roxbury schools were the blacks outnumbered the whites heavily. Shea and his friends were not able to do anything because the blacks would tell them "You can't sit here" "You can't play here", etc. Until one day when Shea and a few other Southie kids became fed up with it and pumbled a couple of the black students in the vacant auditorium. For the next few days Shea was practically stalked around the school by black students carrying knives and pipes that they somehow could sneak into the school and not get caught with. Then Shea dropped out of school and got his G.E.D., he continued his boxing carrer and started his life of crime on the streets of Southie.

Shea began his life of crime with his childhood friends Johnny Baldwin, Billy Mahoney and Ray Talent. They would go to the mall in Natick and go on a shoplifting spree and sell the clothes to bars in Southie, they would also tailgate(follow a truck around Southie, one guy follow the truck guy into the store, and another jump into the back of the truck and grab something), which they would also sell to bars in Southie. On the day of his sister Paula's wedding, which Shea begged his mother to not make him go, Shea's friends and partner Johnny Baldwin, and a few other friends Bobby McCormick, Billy Welch and Keith Miller all got drunk and began to drive to a fight with kids from the Point. But, they wouldn't make it to the fight, instead they'd crash head on into a transit bus and all die.

Shea's first arrest came on his mother's birthday in 1980. He was arrested for assault and battery, he was over sister Claire's house and got into a verbal argument with her about something small that barely even mattered. Shea then said "If you and that boyfriend of yours come over ma's later, I'm gonna cut you!" and Claire respond "You ain't gonna cut shit!". Shea than proceeded to grab a knife from the kitchen and hold it up to Claire's arm to scare her, but then Claire grabbed the blade and cut herself with it. Shea then flipped and through the knife into Claire's walla and stormed out of his sister's house. His sister Claire called the Boston Police and had Shea arrested, she also added to the story that Shea was drunk and had put the knife up to her daughter's neck and threatened her daughter's life. Claire pushed it all the way to trial. In the end of this whole mess Shea was saved by his sister Paula who testified that her and Shea's niece Erin, Claire's daughter, told her that "Uncle Jay didn't do it, my mommy's making me say it." In the end Shea was given a two and a half year suspended sentence.

Not long thereafter Shea had his first real connection to the streets, it was an ex-boxer and a Winter Hill Gang drug dealer by the name of Paul "Pole Cat" Moore, who was a well respected by both the average citizen and the criminal element of Southie as well, was "living the life" in Southie. He had a nice car, nice clothes, plenty of women and a pretty lucrative drug business. Moore brought Shea around to all the bars that were connected to members of the Winter Hill Gang in Southie, although Moore himself did not drink much. Moore became Shea's first mentor in the street life, he taught Shea how to sell drugs. Shea learned to notice were the back door was and if it was opened or closed, never to show money when the product or the money is being exchanged, you only care a small amount of your product on you, an amount that you can afford to ditch, to find a spot to hide the rest of you stash in, how to roll joints and cut and bag cocaine in little envelopes with eight folds. While working for Moore, Shea became very good at Math, the scale and breaking up the product. Shea was beginning to make some money of his own and saw the appeal to the criminal society in Southie.

Although now Shea was entrenching himself in the street life, he continued his dreams of boxing. Shea wound up working with a famous boxing trainer by the name of Eddie Flynn, who hadto have everything about his fighters his way...so he changed Shea's ring name from John Shea to Sean O'Shea, to make him sound more Irish and less American. After catching a ride home from Flynn's own son who also attempted a career in boxing, Shea realized that Flynn would ruin his career, just as he had done to his son, so he left his working venture with Eddie Flynn and called up a young lawyer by the name of Tony Cardinale who was born and raised in Hell's Kitchen, and would go on to be on the lawyer team for John "Johnny Boy" Gotti, Jr., Gennaro "Jerry" Angiulo, Anthony "Fat Tony" Salerno and Francis "Cadillac Frank" Salemme. Tony Cardinale's brother Dennis began working with Shea and brought him back to California were Shea had his first bout against a Mexican fighter that Shea would win a $500 purse and gain his first victory. In Shea's second bout he would lose a split decision bout against a black fighter by the name of Wilkins, after the lose to Wilkins Shea returned to Southie and the drug dealing business with Paul Moore.

Shea wound up moving into Moore's apartment and they moved most of their product out of the bar next to Moore's apartment, Triple O's, which in name belonged to Winter Hill Gang Lieutenant Kevin "Turtleneck Pants" O'Neil, but was really owned by James "Whitey" Bulger, a bouncer at the bar was a young tough guy and shylock who was also a member of the Winter Hill Gang and would become one of Whitey's two proteges his name was Kevin "Two" Weeks. But, his apprenticeship with Moore would be short lived. Shea quickly became tired of selling grams and eight balls of cocaine for Paul Moore, he was sick of all the short comings of his life and soon began selling ounces of his own.

It wasn't long before Shea had to buy in much larger quantities at a time in order to keep his customer base happy. Shea bought his first key after saving money from the ounces, eight balls and grams he had been hustling in the bars of Southie. When Shea was finally able to purchase his first key he went down to the Florida Keys to get it from a dealer named only "the Captain", through this girl who was friends with Tommy Connors, an Italian woman by the name of Marina. At their first encounter The Captain believed that Shea was actually a cop, but in a sign of good faith Shea handed the $19,000 over to The Captain for the kilo of cocaine. The Captain than left after telling Shea he would be back with the product in about an hour. After a couple of hours Shea grew weiry and his temper began to flare up, but, instead of taking it out on Marina with verbal abuse, they both got drunk together and made love. Also during this waiting period a helicopter continually flew by and Shea grew paranoid and believed that the SWAT Team was coming for him. At 1:00 A.M. The Captain finally arrived with the kilo. Shea was furious and lashed out on The Captain to which the Captain responded, "I wanted to make sure you weren't a cop, that was my helicopter.", Shea left back for Southie.

The next time Shea made a trip to Florida to purchase product was again with Marina, but this time the product would not be arriving through The Captain. It was a Cuban that Shea referred to in his book as Jerry. Shea would make about a half dozen trips to do business with Jerry and his Cuban and Colombian drug partners, he also went to do business with Jerry because of Jerry's "young and beautiful Cuban daughter", whom Shea made love to on every trip for the entire night. Shea was very pleased with Jerry's product the readings were always 87%, 88% or 89%, except on one occassion were the reading actually made it up to 90%. As Shea stated it was "gorgeous, flashy, sparkling and crisp". When Shea arrived with the product in Southie he and a few of trusted friends, who became some of his business partners, would weigh out the kilo into eight balls, ounces and grams. It wasn't long before Shea was noticed by Whitey Bulger. Whitey was at the time in his early sixties and Shea in his early twenties, forty years apart, but Whitey knew a good recruit when he saw one.

After a while of being on his own distributing his own product, and just a short time after Whitey noticing Shea which ment it wasn't long before Shea had an ultimatum, either you're working for Whitey or you die, Shea began working in Whitey's organization as a Soldier in the drug crew led by a Lieutenant for which Shea only supplies the name Mickey O. According to Shea Mickey O was a "snake" and although he set Shea up for some very large purchases(seven or eight kilos of cocaine from his Florida connections at a time), Shea was not a fan of the way Mickey O operated his crew. After a while other dealers that were apart of Mickey O's crew, including Shea's original partner Paul "Pole Cat" Moore, began to realize that they were being kept out of the loop and complained about how they were not getting enough product and not making enough product and how Mickey O was stepping on the product more times than necessary and the Winter Hill drug crew began to gain a bad name for themselves. Whitey called in Mickey O, Mickey tried to blame it on Shea. Whitey then went and had a chat with Shea, Whitey told Shea after about a one minute long conversation that Shea had no need to worry, he knew it was Mickey's doings and that Mickey would be forced into retirement and forced to leave Southie forever.

Around the same time that Shea was being recruited into Whitey's organization, he fell in love with a woman by the name of Penelope who had olive skin, big brown eyes, brown hair, full lips and a nice body. She was of Italian heritage. Shea soon thereafter became very serious with Penelope and the two young love birds were quickly falling in love with one another, after Shea bought Penelope a pair of diamond earrings, Penelope's mother did some research on Mr. John "Red" Shea, and asked Penelope to meet this Irish boy from Southie. Upon meeting Penelope's mother Shea was confronted with the fact that people in the neighborhood had told her that Shea was a part of Whitey Bulger's Irish Mafia and was a big time coke dealer. Shea denied both claims, he even denied the existance of Bulger's Irish Mob. When Penelope's mother asked Shea to promise that if he went to prison he would walk away from Penelope, Shea told her that he couldn't promise that. Shea would later wind up proposing to Penelope, but, the wedding never took place. Shea stated that he could not bring a wife and children into the life he chose, he said he took Whitey's advice on family and ran with it.

Not long after the banishment of "Mickey O", Whitey knows who he wants to put in Mickey's place as Lieutenant and Boss of the Winter Hill Gang's drug operation. None other than John "Red" Shea. To organized a test for Shea, Kevin "Two" Weeks shakes down one of the drug dealers that Shea was being paid to protect. Shortly thereafter Shea flipped out at Kevin Weeks and threatened his life. Not long after Weeks gives Shea a call and says that Whitey wants to talk to him at the South Boston Liquor Mart. When Shea arrives he is led to the basement by Weeks, Weeks stands up against the wall and tries to cock back his Uzi submachine gun but can't quite cock it back, then from the shadow's Shea sees Whitey Bulger emerged with an Uzi of his own in his hand. Whitey then tells Shea that Shea's "father figure" Tommy Connors is in trouble and has some heavy debts to Whitey that he has yet to pay. Whitey tells Shea that because Shea is close to Connors Whitey wants to know were Connors hides his money. Shea then replies "Pull the trigger, if you're taking from him...than you're taking from me.", now that's a ballsy move. Whitey then cocked back his Uzi and pointed it at Shea, seconds passed. Whitey lifts up the Uzi and uncocks it and tells Shea that it was all a test, a test that Shea passed. Whitey told Shea "You got fucking big balls. You're loyal. You're one loyal fucking guy. Now you're with me". The next day at twenty years old Shea became a Lieutenant in the Winter Hill Irish Mob and the Boss of Bulger's Drug Operation, making him have a large amount of heat on him, but he also controlled the Mob's most lucrative racket.

With his new rank and power Shea now has a very sizeable crew working for him including the MacKenzie brothers, Ronnie and Eddie, Paul "Pole Cat" Moore, Tommy Cahill and many others. But, all was not well, after Shea was given his new seat of power, Shea began to realize that there were many drug dealers in Boston, his turf, that were independant, as he was when he first started his operation. Shea decided that he had to force them to work for him. Shea's policy was for dealing on his turf with a different product you would pay him back the money that your product would have cost, had you bought it from him, and then you would be stucking buying their product and only their product. An example of this policy was when Shea caught a dealer selling coke in Connolly's Cafe, a dealer that was not buying from one of his guys or selling for one of his guys. Shea went absolutely crazy and dragged him into the back room, screaming "You motherfucker, I'll rip your fucking eyes out of your head! You don't sell in this fucking bar again unless you deal with me. Now you're going to have to pay me back for selling in here, and you only buy the product off me!", the dealer was almost in tears, he pleaded with Shea and said that he would buy the product off of him but didn't have the money to pay Shea back. Shea then pistol whipped the dealer with a .38 revolver and put the barrel of the gun to the middle of the dealer's forehead. One of Shea's guys by the name of Jackie Mackie grabbed Shea and got him off of the daler. The guy came up with the money the next day and from there on out only bought his product from Shea or one of Shea's distributors.

After a while Shea makes Tommy Cahill his personal driver and pays him seven thousand for every trip that Cahill takes with him down to Florida. But, Shea grew tired of Jerry or as he called him "My Tony Montana Connection", because of his flashy and wild ways. He moved on and began purchasing his product from the man who supplied Jerry, Jesus Nodarse. One summer day Shea and Cahill arrive for another pick up from Nodarse, but, Nodarse is dry so Nodarse decides that he will bring Shea and Cahill to one of Nodarse's connects to pick up the product. All three men pile into Shea and Cahill's rented Nissan and pull out of Nodarse's driveway, just a couple of blocks down a pick up truck pulls up in front of their car and stops, then another car pulls up from behind them with flashing blue lights, it was the police...or so they thought. Instead it wound up being a couple of Cuban who took Shea and Cahill's rented Nissan, Shea's gun that was inside the car and $200,000. Shea then began to threaten Nodarse with death and Nodarse began to make phone calls trying to get the money, car and gun back in order to save his life. After a while Shea and Cahill both realize that Nodarse was telling the truth, and he really did have nothing to do with it. In the end Shea took Nodarse's four kilos of cocaine that he had and went on his way back to Southie. He was able to make the money that had been taken from him back, after stepping on the product many more times than he should have.

Not long thereafter things began to heat up in Southie, it was clear that Shea and his main associates were under investigation. A Boston Detective by the name of Beers had been following Shea around with a D.E.A. Agent. They wanted to bust Shea. One afternoon Shea receive a phone call and was told that the D.E.A and the Boston Police were raiding the South Boston Liquor Mart and the Rotary Variety, both owned by James "Whitey" Bulger. Shea drove by and saw that the two shops were actually being raided, so Shea decided to get off of the streets. He went and worked out for a while, he said it helped to pump some iron, get the heart rate up, sweat and sweat and clear my head. Later that night as Shea returned to his apartment Detective Beers and about twenty other cops and agents apprehended Shea and served him with a search warrant for his premises. When Beers approached him Shea told him to get back and asked "Who wants to get it first?!", a F.B.I. Agent came up from behind him and Shea kicked him in the gut, a move Shea would later regret. Shea was placed under arrest for Assault and Batter of a Federal Officer. The next at the federal court buildings Tony Cardinale is waiting for Shea. Cardinale notifies Red that he has only been charged with the assaul and battery charge, but they also found a few pounds of marijuana, a .357 snub-nose shotgun and ammunition in his apartment, but for the time being the charges were not pressed against him. Cardinale did give Shea some good news, the charges were not going to stick. The charges were later dropped and Shea walked away scott free, but, the twenty-four year old did get all the bad press that comes along with a mobsters arrest.

After the assault and battery charge, Shea sensed that something bad was about to happen. To him it was like a cat and mouse game, he slowed down the business, got out of town as often as possible to make it seem as though he had nothing to do with any criminal activities in Southie. He remembered being tailed by agents when he was leaving his apartment, he was followed all around, so, instead of driving, Shea decided to walk everyone...making it a little hard for the feds to follow him without him realizing it. On August 8th, 1990, Shea was walking down to the D Street Deli to meet with Paul Moore and Kevin Weeks when he noticed a Detectie by the name of Duwan pass by him slowly while he was walking down Columbia Road, about a block and a half ahead Duwan pulled over, Sheak new what was going on. Shea turned around and ran to George "Georgie Boy" Hogan's house, who was one of Shea's men who after Shea went away would become the Lieutenant of Shea's crew and after Weeks went away would become the Boss. George's son Michael, another guy in Shea's crew, was on the porch, Shea says "Mike, watch this. Any minute an agent is gonna come around that corner.". Michael tells Shea that the feds just hit the D Street Deli, where his father is. Around the corner comes Duwan, so he ran again until Duwan caught up to him. Duwan gets out of his car with his gun drawn and a shakey hand, he tells Shea to cuff himself which Shea refuses to do, back up comes and Shea is apprehended. When he was apprehended he was spoken to by five different D.E.A. Agents who wanted dirt on Jesus Nodarse, Steven Flemmi, Whitey Bulger, Kevin Weeks, Kevin O'Neil and others. He told one agent, just inches away from his face, while handcuffed "I am no fucking rat. You got that. There is nothing worse than life, is there? So go fuck yourself. The fucking games are over. It is finished. You got it. Put me back in my cell.", this is were the interogations ended.

The next day Shea was on the front page of the news they rounded up 51 mobsters in total in what the papers called "a sweeping blow to the criminal organization of reputed underworlf figure James J. (Whitey) Bulger". The charges ranged from distributing cocaine up to conspiring to operate a criminal narcotics enterprise. Shea was at the top of the list and the list read as is

- John "Red" Shea, 24
- John "Jackie" Mack, 42
- Walter Bagley, 38
- Thomas "Tommy" Cahill, 42
- George "Georgie Boy" Hogan, 44
- Tommy Connors, 44
- William "Billy" McCarthy, 26
- Paul "Pole Cat" Moore, 40
- John "Jackie" Cherry, 39
- Kevin "Andre the Giant" MacDonald, 33
- Edward "Eddie Mac" MacKenzie, Jr., 22
- Louis "Louie" Sasso, 40
- Jesus Nodarse, 50

There were also others, but, these were the main players in the indictment. Shea, John "Jackie" Mack, Paul "Pole Cat" Moore and John "Jackie" Cherry were all charged with Operating a Continuing Criminal Enterprise through their Narcotics Business, an offense that ccaries a twenty years to life sentence...the R.I.C.O. Act. After the indictment was read and all of the defendants plead not guilty, Shea faced the reality that no bail was to be set for him, he was than transported to the closest federal prison, he took a three-hour trip by bus to Danbury, Connecticut. All of the men were put in the hole. In his second day in the hole Shea turned 25, Paul Moore, Eddi MacKenzie, Tommy Cahill, Louie Sasso and Walter Bagley(who were all with him) sung Shea "Happy Birthday", after an orderly had given them a bag of popcorn for Shea's birthday. On his first day in general population he met a Patriarca Family Soldato by the name of Carmen Tortora, who had gotten him soap, shower shoes, a toothbrush, floss, shampoo and a hair comb...as a sign of respect. Not long after an article comes out in the Providence Journal about how John "Red" Shea is Raymond Patriarca, Jr.'s bodyguard inside Danbury, which according Shea is completely fake, things take a turn for the worse. After this news story Shea is now looked at as Patriarca's bodygaurd and the go-between between the head of the New England Cosa Nostra and the head of the Southie Irish Mob, he is moved to Plymouth County Correctional Facility, only an hour and a half from home.

Tony Cardinale continually tried to get Shea out on bail, seeing as how many members of the Winter Hill Gang that were indicted had already been released on bail. Cardinale could not convince either the federal magistrate or the judge to allow his client the opportunity to post bail and get himself out of prison, even though he had a mother, sisters, nieces, a girlfriend and a job waiting for him on the outside. Whitey suggested he switch lawyers and sent up Richie Egbert, Shea stated that in all fairness to Tony he was in the pretrial stages of his work on the John Gotti and Frankie LoCascio case were Salvatore "Sammy the Bull" Gravano had turned informant. Richie Egbert was able to get Shea bail, where Cardinale argued that Shea deserved bail because he was a good man(which didn't work)...Egbert got him bail on the grounds that with some fourteen hundred hours of wiretap and phone tap evidence he and his client needed to be able to listen together and take notes, something they could not do in a federal penetentiary. The judge agreed and set Shea's bail, it took two days for the paper work and he was released thanks to Whitey paying his bail, but, he was put under house arrest while awaiting trial. It took just about a year for Shea to be bailed out, a year that would come off of whatever time he was slammed with.

After being bailed out and placed on house arrest Shea was only allowed to leave his house to attend mass, see his lawyers or get medical care...he would get out every chance he got. Shea went to mass very Sunday, just to get out for an hour, he would play racquetball, golf and jog with his three different lawyers, anything to get himself some fresh air and some time out and about in Southie. He had little contact with any of the major players that were yet to be placed under indictment--Whitey, Flemmi, Weeks, O'Neil--but Weeks and Whitey did see him once or twice at his lawyer's office, which can't be bugged due to client-lawyer privilege, in order to talk about his case. Whitey warned Shea of how the prison system had changed, how when he goes away he'd have to be very careful because of all the "crack niggers" facing mandatory sentencing of twenty to life, and all of the other crimes that now had mandatory sentencing. All of this was throwing guys into the jails for alot longer than they should be with no chance of getting out with any early release, i.e. good behavior. But, Whitey assured Shea "John, it's not as bad as it sounds.".

When the prosecution and defense attornies began to meet on hearings about Shea's case and about possible plea agreements to get this off of the calendar without going to trial, one thing Shea told Egbert was no matter what he would only except a guilty plea if there was a clause that said that Shea could not be called to any grand jury hearings. Without that, Shea knew that for the next 52 months, he could be subpoened before a grand jury and pleading the fifth will get him an extra 18 months or the life of the grand jury added on to the end of his sentence. This was something in which Shea was not prepared to deal with, being subpoened and granted immunity, pleading the fifth and getting more time added to a plea deal that he struck to get himself less time. Shea was able to get a plea deal that called for him pleading guilty to distribution of cocaine, trafficking of cocaine and a managerial charge, but not the ongoing criminal narcotics enterprise charge. He was sentenced to eleven years and four months, including time served, and no grand juries. A few weeks before Shea had to report to federal prison he met with Whitey at the Old Colony Housing Projects in Southie and Whitey told him, "You're one guy I always knew I never have to worry about." and assured Shea that when he returned to Southie after his bit he would be taken care of and his mother and his girlfriend would be taken care of while he was away. Shea's lawyer Egbert was even able to get the prosecution to agree to a self-surrender and the ankle bracelete was removed for Shea's last weekend of freedom.

On Shea's last night of freedom he took a plane to Detroit, which he paid for on his own and booked a hotel room for the night, he paid cash. When he gets to his room he talks to Penelope for the last time as a free man, and his mother. He had a "great steak and a bucket of ice cold beers", he did not feel like checking out Detroit at all. He stayed in and slept well for the last time for a long time in a nice big bed. He took a taxi cab to Milan the next morning, the cabbie asked Shea if he wanted him to wait for him for his visit and Shea said he'd be waiting for a little more than eleven years, the cabbie offered to turn the cab around and get Shea out of there, but, Shea declined the offer...he had to do the "honorable thing". When he arrived at F.C.I. Milan he was stripped down his Armani coat, Armani pants, Calvin Klein shirt, Armani briefs and Bally shoes all went in his Louis Vuitton bag to be shipped home, in return he was given a V-Neck Khaki Shirt and pants with an elastic waisband, boxer shorts and a pair of blue deck shoes. He was then given a bedroll, a pillow, a sheet and a thin whool blanket, and was brought to the B-2 Unit, Second Floor. They allowed Shea to keep his three chains, a little gold chain with St. Jude from Penelope, St. Christopher's medal and another from Penelope's mother, he wore all three chains for his entire bit. Shea would come to learn that about eighty percent of the prison population in Milan was black and most were gangbangers from Detroit and Chicago.

As far as Shea was concerned Milan was nothing but a sea of vermin, but after a while he ran into and met some decent guys. He met two guys from Dearborn, a father and son doing thirty and forty years for a drug operation, the father was white and the son was half white and half Latino, he met a one-armed older guy by the name of Moe, who was one of the head Muslims in Milan. Eventually Shea even ran into some Italians from Rhode Island and New York, he would socialize with them, take a walk and talk with them in the yard, see a few of them in the gym working out. Then his old pal, the man he was supposidly hired to be the bodyguard for, Raymon Patriarca, Jr. shows up. Shea quickly returned the favor that Patriarca had given him in Danbury, he bought Patriarca all new clothes, underwear, a new pillow and cotton blankets, little things like that made doing the time a little easier. Shea would play cards and talk with Patriarca. After a while Shea got a transfer to Fort Dix, New Jersey.

In 1997, Shea was betrayed by two men who he respected, James "Whitey" Bulger and Stephen "the Rifleman" Flemmi, he was also betrayed in 1993 by Paul "Pole Cat" Moore and again in 2000 by Kevin "Two" Weeks, but, even with all of these men who he respected and had respected him saving their own skin by turning rat, just because Whitey and Flemmi were doing it for twenty-five and thirty-five years respectively, Shea remained "honorable" and kept to the code of Southie. He kept his mouth shut and did his time like a man. Upon his release on August 7th, 2002, Shea was greeted by by the new boss of the Irish Mob George "Georgie Boy" Hogan, his son Michael, a Soldier in the Irish Mob and one of his three attorneys and his friend Fran Hurley. He saw the love of his life Penelope who cried, not because Shea was home but because she was too old for him and she wanted him to be able to have someone that could give him children.

John Shea is now living in freedom as a stand-up guy that lived by the code, and the secrets of his life of crime will most likely be taken to the grave with him.

(Login IrishHood)
Forum Owner

Thanks

No score for this post
January 4 2007, 1:04 PM 

Hey Cavanagh, thanks for your article on Red Shea! I read his book and it is by far the best of that Southie collection! Shea understood the code of silence and honoured it to the last!

Cavanagh
(no login)

Re: Thanks

No score for this post
January 5 2007, 5:56 AM 

Yeah he was a stand up guy right up until the last second he spent inside the penetentiary at Fort Dix in New Jersey. He didn't give the cops any kind of information what so ever, as a criminal should do no matter how big time small time or what nationality or what they are pinched for is. If you got the balls to do the crime, be prepared to have the balls to do the time.

Go over and post on the forum at American Organized Crime, JohnnieUpahts(who runs it) is a good friend of mine and we both are interested in the Irish Mob and we are trying to get more posters...I know this is your forum and all, but, we're trying to get more people to post and also me and him are always interested in new Irish O.C. Stories or answering questions about the Irish O.C. Groups. He doesn't post here though, he's too busy constructing his website, trying to get more posters(plenty of people visit it I was on it yesterday and there was like 1500 hits or something and it's only been up about 2-3 weeks now...actually up and running). Me, I am especially interested in people that would be posting in the Irish O.C. part of the forum.

Cavanagh
(no login)

No Whitey After All These Years

No score for this post
January 6 2007, 4:55 AM 

No Whitey after all these years
By Laurel J. Sweet

Friday, January 5, 2007

With the 12 days of Christmas safely behind us, Boston can pause to reflect on today’s 12th anniversary of the disappearance of mobster madman James “Whitey” Bulger.

“The Bulger Task Force . . . continues to dedicate an extraordinary amount of time and effort in the conduct of a worldwide investigation to locate fugitive James Bulger,” said Robert Krekorian, executive assistant U.S. attorney.

And what of the alleged sighting of the 77-year-old serial killer in October at a San Diego cineplex screening of “The Departed,” starring Jack Nicholson as the questionably fictional head of South Boston’s Irish mob?

“We continue to investigate that look-alike lead,” Krekorian said, “but at this point in time we have developed no evidence to indicate that it was in fact James Bulger.”

The suspected ruthless killer of 19 men and women has officially been on the lam since Jan. 5, 1995, when his arrest became imminent.

Coincidentally, former FBI Boston Special Agent in Charge Kenneth Kaiser will be feted today at the Omni Parker House.

Kaiser, tapped by Washington to serve as assistant director of the FBI’s Inspection Division, made finding Bulger “a priority,” said Hub office spokeswoman Gail Marcinkiewicz. “He’s disappointed that it didn’t come to fruition during his tenure here in Boston.”

Cavanagh
(no login)

Re: No Whitey After All These Years

No score for this post
February 5 2007, 3:26 AM 

JohnnieUpahts' bio from his site on Brian "Balloonhead" Halloran, he told me he's working on a Eddie MacKenzie bio but first he's gotta finish reading MacKenzie's book just like he did for Weeks and Shea.

http://www.angelfire.com/blog/organizedcrime/winterhillgang/halloran.html

Brian "Balloonhead" Halloran was a low level soldier in the Boston Irish Mob led by James "Whitey" Bulger known as the Winter Hill Gang. He started off his criminal career with a few bank robberies before he began his life as an enforcer and leg breaker for the Winter Hill Gang in 1967, under the reign of Howard "Howie" Winter, near the end of the bloodbath that was the Boston Irish Gang Wars which all began when when drunken Irish mobster groped another Irish mobster's girlfriend and a murder occured that brought the Irish in Boston into an all out gang war. When Whitey took over the crown of the Winter Hill Gang in 1979, it was the beginning of the end for Halloran's run with the Winter Hill Gang because he became of little use to the gang except for street level distribution of cocaine and every now and then collecting a gambling or shylock payment from a deadbeat who had yet to pay up. But, Halloran was still able to operate on the fringes of the Winter Hill Gang, until his friend John Callahan who was a top financer for World Jai Alai and liked to party like a mobster and be around mobsters came into the picture.

Callahan had been embezzling money from World Jai Alai for his own personal interests and was also paying a percentage to the feared Winter Hill Gang boss Whitey Bulger and his top Lieutenant Stephen "the Rifleman" Flemmi. But now, there was a new C.E.O. at World Jai Alai by the name of Roger Wheeler, who was beginning to ask questions and try and figure out who had partaken in embezzling the missing money from World Jai Alai. Callahan called up Halloran who showed up to Callahan's apartment when Flemmi and Bulger had already arrived. Callahan explained the situation to Bulger and Flemmi and proposed that Halloran play the roll of the gunman in the killing of Roger Wheeler and seasoned Winter Hill hitman Johnny Martorano plan out the rubout and be there as back up for Halloran. But, the meeting did not end with Wheeler certainly marked a dead man, Whitey said he would think about it.

After pondering the thought for a few weeks Whitey decided that Halloran was not suitable for this kind of high-level mob hit. Part of the reason Whitey did not want Halloran involved in the actual hit was because he did not trust Halloran, he also believed that Halloran was too incompetant to actually pull off the rub out and because Halloran had never killed anyone before. The closest Halloran had ever come to murdering someone was inadvertately participating in the Louis Litif murder that Flemmi and Bulger committed. Halloran dropped Litif off were Bulger and Flemmi was Litif to come, Litif who was an Arab-American bookie and was a good earner for the Winter Hill Gang had fallen out of favor with the gang's murderous leadership when he killed two men who had not payed their debts and began selling narcotics without the blessing of one Whitey Bulger. After that, while waiting for Litif, Halloran saw Whitey Bulger and Stevie Flemmi throwing a large green garbage bag into Litif's Lincoln that Halloran was currentley driving, he was told to drop the car off with Litif's remains inside, which he did.

Callahan called Halloran to his apartment and Halloran showed yet again to receive a brown paper bag filled with $20,000 in cash which Callahan said was money for Halloran's troubles of knowing about the murder and the money was to ensure Halloran's silence and also because Callahan was sorry for bringing Halloran into a murder plot that Halloran should have never been involved in. Although Callahan did offer to give Halloran the reasons why he was receiving $20,000 cash for doing absolutely nothing but showing up at Callahan's apartment twice, Halloran did not care he just wanted to take off with the money, and he did. That $20,000 from Callahan bought Halloran new furniture for his Quincy apartment, a new car and he was able to spend a nice relaxing and enjoyable weekend down in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. Wheeler would later be shot dead in Oklahoma when Johnny Martorano approached him with a paper bag that concealed a gun and shot Wheeler once in between the eyes ending the rich C.E.O.'s life and for the time being ending the problem at World Jai Alai.

As time grew on though things began to get worse for Halloran as he began to be alienated by members and associates of the Winter Hill Gang because his passion was now using cocaine instead of pushing his product and making the money for himself and the gang to be better off, he would just snort his profits away and just sell the amount needed to pay tribute to men like Whitey. Things got even worse for Halloran when he was dining at a Chinese Restaraunt at 4 a.m. one morning and having a little something to eat with Patriarca Crime Family Soldato, who would later become Underboss and Acting Boss when his brother Frank became the boss, John "Jackie" Salemme, and a Patriarca Family associate of Greek ancestory by the name of George Pappas who was selling drugs for Jackie Salemme at the time. Halloran than night had a falling out with Salemme and Pappas, as he now being fed up with the way things were going for him with the Winter Hill Gang offered his services to Salemme and Pappas and wanted to form a business deal where he would help them distribute their cocaine and marijuana. But, after the falling out instead of walking away Halloran made matters ten times worse when he murdered mob associate George Pappas with a made man sitting right across the table from him.

Halloran now realized how much he had fucked things up, he was no longer actually earning any form of capital for his boss Whitey Bulger, who already was not too fond of Halloran, he had now murdered a Mafia associate with a made man at the same table. He was now on the outs with the Winter Hill Gang and the Patriarca Crime Family, as well as law enforcement as they wanted to arrest him for the murder of George Pappas, so, Halloran used his brain and went on the lam. It would only be a month before he turned himself into Boston Police for the murder charge of George Pappas, this was in November of 1981. He did get bail though but now he was a coke addict facing a first degree murder charge with a La Cosa Nostra family that wanted him dead and he was almost one-hundred percent sure that his own gang now wanted him dead so he took the only option he had left, co-operate. He went to the Boston F.B.I. in hopes of reaching a deal for leniency on the Pappas murder in return for information and the conspiracy by Flemmi, Callahan and Bulger to murder Wheeler. The agen who took Halloran on as a Confidential Informant went by the name of Leo Brunnick, this began in early 1982, but, Halloran refused a polygraph test. So, Brunnick went to John Morris and asked his take of Halloran's credibility, of course Morris dismissed Halloran's credibility all together and soon enough Bulger and Flemmi became aware of Halloran's plans of cooperation. In the spring of 1982, while Brunnick still attempted to move Halloran into the Witness Protection Program, Halloran and his drinking buddy Joe Donahue were gunned down by a masked man and Whitey Bulger while Kevin "Two" Weeks played the roll of look out.

HONER1111
(Login HONER1111)

BULLSHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No score for this post
March 25 2008, 11:37 PM 

I DON'T KNOW WHERE THIS INFO CAME FROM??? BUT IT IS BULLSHIT!!!!!!!! MAYBE AND I MEAN MAYBE 3 OF THE GUYS ON THIS LIST EVER HAD ANYTHING TO DO WITH THE SOUTHIE IRISH MOB!!!!! AND GOERGE HOGAN WAS NEVER A BOSS!!!! AND HE IS NOT EVEN CLOSE TO ONE NOW!!!!LOL.. SOME OF THIS SHIT MAKES ME LAUGH...

(no login)

Gordon "gordie" Deyoung

No score for this post
December 9 2010, 7:10 AM 

I notice you don't have an associate of the gang by the name of Gordon "Gordie" De young. Though he was pretty far south of the city he was born in somerville and was raised in Dorchester.He was questioned about the murder of Barry Lazzarini a member of the Patriarca crime family,killed October,19 1991.
Mostly because of information we received off the street from small time drug bust. De young was known to brag about his business with the gang up north
and oddly he felt it an honor to pay a percentage to the Winter hill gang. I feel he did this to be accepted but don't get me wrong he did earn them some descent income with his connections within the fishing industry. I thought maybe his name wasn't mention on this website because he is noted on many other websites as a associate and not a member. Regards, John

Riddler
(no login)

Gordon Deyoung

No score for this post
February 17 2011, 9:45 PM 

Gordon is in jail now for supplying drugs to and sodomizing a young boy.

Anonymous
(no login)

Re: Gordon Deyoung

No score for this post
October 27 2012, 10:23 PM 

not true, get your facts right!

Anonymous
(no login)

Re: Gordon Deyoung

No score for this post
November 14 2013, 2:38 AM 

you are a fag

Anonymous
(no login)

Re: Gordon "gordie" Deyoung

No score for this post
October 27 2012, 10:19 PM 

Get your facts right, not true.

(Login IrishHood)
Forum Owner

Howie Winter

No score for this post
May 29 2008, 1:00 PM 

Howie Winter was born in on St. Patricks Day 1929 to a German father and an Irish mother in the Somerville section of Massachusetts. Winter became one of the original members of the Winter Hill Gang and was the protégé of the Gang's first boss James "Buddy" McLean. Other originating gang members, along with Winter and McLean, were Salvatore "Sal" Sperlinga, Americo "Rico" Sacramone, Anthony "Tony Blue" D'Agostino, Thomas Ballou Jr., Joseph "Joe Mac" McDonald, Russel Nicholson, Ruaraidh "the Irish Godfather" Fitzpatrick and James "Spike" O'Toole.

During the bloody Irish gang wars of the 1960's and 1970's, Winter was a heavy hitter for the Winter Hill Gang and proved his worth to the gang on numerous occasions. On October 11th, 1965, Winter's life and the history of the Winter Hill Gang would change forever.

The McLaughlin Brothers who headed the Charlestown Irish Mob were able to eliminate Winter Hill Gang Boss James "Buddy" McLean from the picture during what became known as Boston's Irish Gang Wars. The McLaughlin brothers believed that by murdering Buddy McLean the Winter Hill Gang would fall into disarray through lack of leadership and would be out of the equation once and for all. This wasn't to be the case, Howard "Howie" Winter was prepared to not only sit in the Winter Hill Gang's thrown as king but he would also plan to defeat the McLaughlin brothers once and for all.
From 1965 until 1979, Winter would be the undisputed boss of the Winter Hill Gang. One leader of the Charlestown Gang Edward "Punchy" McLaughlin had survived many assassination attempts by different members of the Winter Hill Gang on one attempt he had actually lost a hand. On October 20th, 1965 just 9 days after the murder of Buddy McLean, Punchy was on his way to a court house for his brother's murder trial when he was murdered at a bus station in West Roxbury, Massachusetts. Many people believe that Howie Winter was the gunman behind the rub-out, and that the murder was what elevated Winter to the number one spot in the Winter Hill Gang.

In 1966, Howie Winter ordered the murders of the Hughes' brothers. Cornelius and Steven, both had to go ordered Winter. Joseph "the Animal" Barboza, a one time hit-man for the Winter Hill Gang who would in the future work for the Patriarca Crime Family and go on to become an F.B.I. Informant, took on the contract along with Francis "Cadillac Frank" Salemme, a half-Irish half-Italian Winter Hill Gang hood who would later become Godfather of the Patriarca Family. On May 26th, 1966 the two man hit team got rid of Cornelius Hughes, they shot the Charlestown mobster to death in Revere,Massachusetts. On September 23rd, 1966 Steven Hughes and another Charlestown Mob member Sammy Lindenbaum were gunned down while driving through Middleton, Massachusetts.

In the early 1970's the Boston Irish Mob Wars were finally put to an end. Over forty members and associates from each gang were dead. The Winter Hill Gang became the dominant force, in the end they had too many members, associates and firepower for the Charlestown Mob to be able to defeat.
In 1975, James "Whitey" Bulger, a Winter Hill Gang Soldier, who had missed out on all the murders of the Irish Gang War through serving a sentence in prison for bank robbery, was released. Bulger soon served as Winter's Lieutenant because Winter "trusted" him. Within months Bulger would begin co-operating with F.B.I. Agent and Southie native John "Zip" Connolly, Jr Bulger fed Connolly information which helped put his rivals away and kept him on the streets and in most cases ahead of the game in Boston's underworld activities. In 1979 Winter's reign as Boss would end when information gathered by Bulger and Flemmi and forwarded on to agent Connolly place many members and associates of the Winter Hill Gang would on indictment on charges of money laundering, income tax evasion and horse race fixing.

As a result Winter went to prison, but in the late 1980s he would be released and then re-indicted on a narcotics trafficking indictment, again Whitey Bulger had fed Connolly information. Bulger would now take over the reigns, was boss of the Winter Hill Gang from 1979-1995.

(Login IrishHood)
Forum Owner

Boston Gang Wars

No score for this post
December 4 2008, 10:07 AM 

Part of The Boston Gang Wars documentary on the National Geographic channel:

Matt
(no login)

Re: Boston Gang Wars

No score for this post
December 4 2008, 12:24 PM 

Great stuff but the narrator's full of shit about how 'small time' and 'barely
on the radar' Southie was to the supposedly dominant North End. From what
I have read in Black Mass and the Brother's Bulger this was never really the case and they were equal powers at best. The perception of the Mafia as a dominant force was something Whitey cleverly used in his favour but if this was really the
case why did Whitey stick two big fingers up at Anguilo about the 200 grand he
owed him and why did Anguilo do nothing about it. Also, didn't Southie keep all it's own profits to itself? It was only the rackets in neutral territories that went 50-50, suggesting again that the North End were of equal strength at best. Whitey also had many bookies in his pocket that only paid to him and him alone. Anguilo was weak in confronting Bulger and let him walk all over him. He certainly
wasnn't the all powerful Godfather that clip tried to portray him as.

(Login IrishHood)
Forum Owner

Documentary

No score for this post
December 4 2008, 2:28 PM 

I agree Matt! Most of these commentators are biased towards the Mafia and there are always inacurracies regarding the Irish Mob in general! These are the same people that told us the Irish Mob died out in the 1920's!

Matt
(no login)

Re: Documentary

No score for this post
December 4 2008, 6:33 PM 

Totally agree. Because of the Godfather(a film I like, but surely the most romanticised view of Organised Crime in the history of film) and the like many
commentators are quick to buy into the myths surrounding LCN without realising how
much their influence varies from state to state and country to country.

(no login)

rats in hells kitchen/south boston

No score for this post
December 4 2008, 11:43 PM 

all I have to say is lets expose the RATS in our hoods----- put their names on this site!!!!!!! Iam not talking about the ones from the past-current only!! And by the way fuck the NOONANS they aint and never were shit!!! all they did was pop pills and sing do op in the parky house bathroom in clinton park.

Current Topic - Winter Hill Mob- South Boston
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  
Find more forums on SocietyCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement