Same here, and now I want a drink, damn...

by Kalysto

Kaly had to smile at how quickly Victoria's mood perked up as soon as the topics changed to work. She could admit that at this venture in her life, talking about work was far more positive than talking about her life as well.

"I'll take what I can get, I suppose," the blonde answered after taking a few sips of her shake. "Though I noticed how the fed's gotten lately. All the companies, really. No honor amongst competitors. Lots of made-up titles and ridiculous outcomes between friends." She shook her head, then popped a fry into her mouth. "Remember when there used to be some integrity to the sport?"

Victoria let her brow furrow. "Was there any to begin with?"

"I said some... Not that there was much, but there was at least a code to abide by."

"Did you have any?" the brunette asked teasingly. "If I remember right, you've done a lot of crap that no one would find honorable."

The other woman smirked. "Not when it came to title belts. And I definitely didn't give my friends freebies." She shrugged. "So I guess I'm gonna try to stab some sense back into the business or something. Or maybe I'll just kick ass. Like we used to in the old days."

She raised her milkshake to toast Victoria as she added, "And I'm sure your next match will be a much better 'welcome back' than being stood up." She shook her head. "Really, that's just stupid of someone to not realize that it's an honor to get their ass kicked by one hell of a competitor."

As each girl turned their attention to their burgers, Kaly went back through what Victoria had said about love, and about appreciating those one had. The blonde could certainly relate. Despite the disastrous end of her marriage and the ambiguous one of her engagement, she knew she still loved both men. In different ways, to different degrees, but they'd always have a piece of her heart.

And she definitely could understand where Vic was coming from about finding out someone she thought was dead was actually alive. Especially with all the emotional ties that went with it.

"You and me, we're like peas in a pod, I swear," Kaly stated with a giggle, toying with the straw in her drink.

Victoria gasped in mock-shock. "Don't say something so evil!" She even shuddered at the thought.

That got Kaly laughing even harder. "Oh, please. There are much more evil things than us being so alike."

"Name one."

"Love. Hope. Dreams."

The brunette raised an eyebrow at that. "Really?"

Kaly shrugged a shoulder. "You know just as well as I do how much it fucking hurts when everything falls out from under you. We've been through that shit, and we keep doing it to ourselves because we have these preconceived notions that that's the kind of life we should want. I wanted the whole family thing, it was something I always dreamed about having. And I almost had it, a couple of times."

It was her turn to stare out of the window as she spoke of pains she hadn't spoken of in some time. "I married Conner, did you know? And that was great for a while till things started changing, and he became someone completely different. The last match I competed in, I think he might've been aiming to kill me, but I guess he ended up losing his life instead. Or so I thought. I'm not sure about any particulars. Haven't spoken to him since. But between his burial and apparent return from the dead, or wherever he was, I had a son, Joshua, who became my everything, and David came back into my life. You remember him, right? Maddog Strangla? I fell in love with him again, and we were just beginning to plan our wedding. But then something happened, something I can't even really understand, and David took off for parts unknown. Of course, that was after I saw my child killed right in front of me."

Kaly brought sapphire eyes back to Victoria, a corner of her mouth tucked up in a failing attempt at a half-smile. "So after all that, I've decided I can live without hopes and dreams, and definitely could go a long time without my heart breaking or being ripped out of my chest and stomped into a fine paste. Even if the men I've loved still have a place in my heart."

She blinked, and shook her head, offering a humorless laugh. "Oh by the gods, that was depressing, wasn't it? I think you've got the right idea, sticking to talking of work. Or something more insanely easier." She set her chin in an upturned palm, the elbow planted on the tabletop. "So, what exactly brought you back into the world of wrestling?" At last, her lips quirked up into a smile that matched the glint of mischief in her eyes. "It can't be the need to beat people up, since I'm sure you could do that back home."

Posted on Nov 14, 2009, 7:27 PM

Respond to this message

Return to Index
Responses