Return to Start  

March 16 2012 at 6:19 PM
Larry  (Login leh)
Group #188948

Response to Help... Need assistance with an Identification

My first thought is that it is American, way to ID if there is no name anywhere (many American gallery air rifles are unmarked). That said, there are a few unusual details that make me question its actual origin:

1) exposed axial barrel pivot-mostly only seen on German pieces, but not unheard of on American specimens. American makers tend to hide that mechanism in the forearm wood.
2) double set triggers-not unheard of on American pieces, but usually only encountered on very high end pieces.
3) barrel latch on a swivel breech...first time I've seen that (nicely made American pieces will sometimes be precision fitted with a "cradle" on the receiver to lock the barrel tight)
4) crank boss looks to be made of flat German silver material-most gallery guns use a cast brass or machine steel boss to support the stress of the crank on the rack.
5) Octagonal to round barrel-certainly European in flavor, though I've got a couple of American pieces with this feature.

All in all, a nice gallery airgun with some unique features, though it'll be almost impossible to definitely point to a maker without some kind of markings. That hurts the value somewhat-collectors LOVE to know who made their stuff!

Larry Hannusch

Respond to this message   
This forum dedicated to all that enjoy collecting and restoring airguns. Have fun. Dave