Return to Start  

Walther LG51, What do I have??

April 29 2012 at 10:33 AM
Steve D  (Login sd5782)

Well we have here another purchase from the Findlay show. An LG51. I am learning, and have done searches here and on the net in general. Serial number on barrel is 219XXX. This is a much later number than other 51s I see posted. Walther markings on receiver are not oriented in the same direction as other pictures I see. I guess I need educated.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

It seems to be in very nice shape except for a spot on the top of breech block, and unfortunately the front sight looks to have been repaired, and doesn't appear to have the correct hood.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

It didn't appear to have been shot much, and the stock had only a few minor marks. I ran it over the crono and got 616fps with JSB RS7.3, and 585 with the 7.9 Express. This seems about right. After all the searching, I saw many posts about bad plastic piston seals. I have had first hand experience with this on an FWB124, so I knew it was probably best to look inside before I damaged the stud on the piston. Surprise to me , a leather seal in near perfect condition. Pics show with some silicone oil I was soaking into the leather. Insides of gun look nearly new.

Photobucket

Photobucket

There is a bit of scuffing on the piston, so I am going to put on some JM buttons, and use some JM lubes. The spring looks like new, so going back in. I need a bit of advice on the crinkled finish on the stock, and how to dress up a bit.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

So what do I have? Perhaps a 51 from the early 60's from the serial number?
Thanks for any help.

Respond to this message   
Responses

This forum dedicated to all that enjoy collecting and restoring airguns. Have fun. Dave