55 piston sealMay 26 2012 at 11:35 AM
|MDriskill (Login MDriskill)|
Response to Took the 55 apart.
I've had two HW 55's with a truly horrible-looking piston seal that had nothing but a thin flat metal washer inside the leather cup--probably the one you are referring to from my old "Burgo" post! It's hard to believe they ever left the factory like this, but after finding two identical ones I have to assume that was indeed the case. Those guns were significantly older than yours though, serials in the 140xxx range.
The seal SHOULD have a hard fiber or rubber central "plug" that fills up the inside of the cup of course. Every other 55 I've gotten into is like that, but I don't seem to have a photo to hand unfortunately.
- I took some pictures of my seal - jim in SoCal on May 27, 2012, 2:28 AM
- . - . on May 27, 2012, 2:44 AM
- piston seal - Jim in SoCal on May 27, 2012, 6:21 PM
- more photos and questions - jim in SoCal on May 27, 2012, 9:53 PM
- FWIW, the photos in the "Just a little moly" post show a similar factory adjustment - FourRings on May 28, 2012, 9:48 AM
- . - . on May 29, 2012, 7:22 AM
- flat spring - jim in SoCal on May 29, 2012, 10:21 AM
- spring thickness - jim in SoCal on May 31, 2012, 1:13 AM
- . - . on May 31, 2012, 6:21 PM