Return to Start  

Jim I would highly recommend the leather sealed Diana's.

August 19 2012 at 3:35 PM
Brad Warren  (Login 157bradley)

Response to Next vintage springer

I am sure many here will agree with me.

They are one of the best bargains out there if you weigh out the quality of materials and build, versus the cost.

My personal choices for your FIRST (there will be more...lol) would be either the Diana 25D (Winchester 425, et al), the Diana 27 (Winchester 427, Hy Score 807, et al) or my favorite the Diana 35 (Winchester 435, Peerless 35, et al).

In my opinion, things to look for are a rail on the top of the tube for diopter sights or scope mounting. Also I find the best triggers have the two small screws just inside the trigger guard in front of the trigger. These are the adjustable trigger models.

I have bought many, many of these guns and find that there are not really any hard and fast rules about what comes on what model. For instance, I have owned six different Winchester 425's. All of them had the scope rail. Some had the flat "plank style" stock. Some had the fuller, rounded stock. Some had the adjustable trigger. Some did not. All of them were marked Winchester 425. Some had the "D" stamp...some didn't.

The models without trigger adjustment still have nice triggers. I find them far better than most modern inexpensive air rifles. However the two screw adjustable models can be really, really nice triggers. My eyes are not what they once were so scopes are a must for me to shoot accurately.

These little rifles are trim and light. They offer more power to weight than many other models. The leather seals last basically forever with only minimal care. At the power level of these guns, I find none of them to be very hold sensitive. The guns are plentiful and well liked so they are resonably priced and pretty easy to find.

Best regards, Brad Warren

This message has been edited by 157bradley on Aug 19, 2012 3:37 PM

Respond to this message   
This forum dedicated to all that enjoy collecting and restoring airguns. Have fun. Dave