Return to Start  

Re: Are you positive all Tyrolean arms were destroyed?

March 25 2016 at 7:29 PM
DT Fletcher  (Login DTFletcher)
Group #188948

Response to Are you positive all Tyrolean arms were destroyed?

That's the history. All guns, regardless of history, type, or use, were destroyed (burnt), by US forces during post war occupation. Only when a French General took over that it was acknowledge the historic Tyrollean connection with rifles, which is where they all got the same Swiss (as I recall) K98s.

Understand that this is Tyrol only. So it was limited and any Tyrol guns that were outside the area would have had a better chance to survive.

What makes me think that it was pretty complete (WWII) is that all, not just some Tyrol groups have the same K98s. All of their historic "parade" guns are gone. If they had them, they would be displaying them.

When looking through what the Tyrol museums have in regards to guns, more often than not all they have are burnt bits and pieces. There is very little in the way of local history on their guns.

If you ever come across a "History of Tyrollean guns" let me know.

Respond to this message   
Find more forums on Air GunsCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
This forum dedicated to all that enjoy collecting and restoring airguns. Have fun. Dave