Return to Start  

Re: I'll keep an eye out

September 13 2017 at 2:48 AM
DT Fletcher  (Login DTFletcher)
Group #188948

Response to I'll keep an eye out

Starting back in the '80s, I would attend numerous gun shows and antique shows in the Northwest area. My main focus was always vintage air guns but, pretty much by accident, became interested in metal squirt guns. My introduction was "It's a Daisy" where a Daisy metal squirt gun was mentioned. I had never heard of such a thing but just a couple days later I found one at a local flea market.... of course, a Daisy. After that, it was game-on. I was at about 70 or 80 variations when Charles Best, author of Cast Iron Toy Guns, contacted me and asked if I was interested in the metal squirt guns in his collection. Best had decided to concentrate on pre-1800 models and decided to sell off any 19th century guns and the squirt guns. Can't remember how much I paid but it was about 75-80 models with the majority being different from what I already had. So, rather early on, I had more than 150 different metal squirt guns and could claim to have the World's Largest Collection. Today, it's something over 250 models. Still picking them up off eBay. This last year I've probably obtained 3 or 4. They have to be very special for me to purchase one today.

One of the other fun aspects of this collection is that they have been produced in so many countries.

Respond to this message   
Responses

• There's another book - Andrew on Sep 14, 2017, 6:05 PM
    • Re: There's another book - DT Fletcher on Sep 15, 2017, 6:00 AM
      • Thanks for the tour, - Andrew on Sep 16, 2017, 5:38 PM
        • Old Display - Bruce on Sep 16, 2017, 7:57 PM
          • Demoulin - DT fletcher on Sep 17, 2017, 9:39 PM

Find more forums on Air GunsCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
This forum dedicated to all that enjoy collecting and restoring airguns. Have fun. Dave