Future of the AVA

January 9 2018 at 8:30 PM
No score for this post
Garvin  (Login oldcoot)
Owner

This is a message to let you know that Dave has kindly given me this great forum to look after.

As some of you may know, Network54 has been acquired by TapaTalk, which calls itself the "mobile-first community platform". Exactly what this means for a forum like the AVA I'm not sure, but I think the migration from this format to a new one will happen soon.

Hopefully, it won't mean too much disruption.

For those of you who don't know me, I'm a long-time vintage airgun collector and enthusiast.

I fully intend to keep things much as they are. I've been a member of the AVA for many years and admire the gentlemanly way discussion is carried out, which is very much to Dave's credit.

Please carry on as you were!

EDIT:

It seems were are at the point of being forcibly migrated to the Tapatalk version of the AVA and the Network54 servers turned off.

The new forum could look a bit like an AVA version of this:

http://forum.rav4driversclub.com/?

What do you want me to do?

It seems to me we have two options, (1) go with the flow and see what Tapatalk come up with or (2) migrate ourselves over to another platform.

I could easily make a corner of my vintage airgun galleries website available for an AVA Mk2 forum, and it would be immune from interference since it is independent and paid for by donations from vintage airgun enthusiasts.

If I do this I will inevitably be accused of a 'power grab' or 'grandstanding', or something like that, none of which is true.

There is also only a point in doing it if a significant body of AVA members move over and populate the new forum, making it a vibrant, distinctive place like this once was under Dave B's careful ownership.

I'm happy to go either way and will be guided by you, if there are enough AVA members left who care enough to express an opinion!

Over to you - what do you think?

EDIT 2: I am also emailing the membership to canvass views on this. Apologies for the overload but it feels urgent...

This message has been edited by oldcoot on Jan 12, 2018 11:46 AM

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses

• Many thanks... - Ken Walker on Jan 9, 2018, 9:53 PM
  •  
  • Thank you Dave, and congratulations Danny. - Leonardj on Jan 10, 2018, 5:25 PM
  •  
  • Thank you Dave and Danny - Trevor on Jan 10, 2018, 11:03 PM
  •  
  • Re: Future of the AVA - views please - Mark on Jan 11, 2018, 2:59 AM
  •  
  • The decision... - Garvin on Jan 12, 2018, 11:46 AM
  •  
  • Thanks Ron - Garvin on Jan 14, 2018, 1:20 PM
  •  
  • Go with the flow on migration - Dave on Jan 16, 2018, 3:13 PM
  •  
    Find more forums on Air GunsCreate your own forum at Network54
     Copyright © 1999-2018 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
    This forum dedicated to all that enjoy collecting and restoring airguns. Have fun. Dave