<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Start  

Tube slots and flats on the Slavia 618

November 19 2007 at 2:10 PM
Streak Freak  (Login StreakFreak)

On November 11 I posted about a Slavia 618 I'd bought the day before, and asked whether anyone knew what the slots (not dovetails) and flats were for that had been machined into the spring tube over the rear tube plug. I included a photo for illustration. The slots, which are cut clear through the tube wall, aren't long enough to accommodate scope rings spaced far enough apart to make room for a scope's turret. I mounted a 4X compact using a single ring, though, and assumed that the flats between the slots were to provide clearance for a clamp-type aperture sight such as the Beeman/Williams Sport. One person responding said he'd mounted an aperture of that kind on his 618 without difficulty.

Still curious, I decided to e-mail CZ to ask what the slots and flats were for. Marketing manager Milan Kubele replied, and the upshot is that I still don't know. He was unaware of their existence, and at first thought I had modified the tube myself. Once that was cleared up, he said he had no idea about those features and went on to explain that he had been at CZ longer than most other employees. CZ according to Milan, has never offered an optional aperture sight. My guess is that aperture mounting was the intent nevertheless, and that two narrow flats were provided for positioning flexibility. One long one would probably have weakened the tube too much.

Anybody got a better idea? Thanks,

Streak

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Dave
(Premier Login oldcoot)
Forum Owner

Streak's pic from below...

November 19 2007, 2:42 PM 

QUESTION: Were the slots and flats machined into the tube for mounting an optional aperture sight? They obviously won't space two scope rings far enough apart to permit a conventional scope mount

www.vintageairgun.com

Respond to this message   

(Premier Login Grantthekiwi)

Slavia 618.

November 19 2007, 4:33 PM 

I know this still doesnt answer your question, but my 618 does not have them, but the 622 does. It has to be for a peep type sight IMO. If i manage to find a picture of one fitted to a Slavia, i will post it here.

[IMG][/IMG]

Just for Interest Sake.

[IMG][/IMG]

Regards Grant, N.Z.

This message has been edited by Grantthekiwi on Nov 19, 2007 4:39 PM

Respond to this message   

(Login 144man)

Now hold on there, I'm confused (again)

November 19 2007, 4:58 PM 

(Don't worry, it happens a lot, and I'm kinda getting used to it.)

I always thought Relums were made in the FEG factory in Hungary. I never knew there was any relationship between Slavia and Relum, other than the coincidence of them both being east-block mfgrs.

Was/is Relum a brand name marketer of guns of different mfgrs?

I think we're all Bozos on this bus.

Respond to this message   

Confusing.

November 19 2007, 10:01 PM 

I was a little Surprised myself when i first saw it, but it appears that RELUM was a Distributor of various types of Mainly Eastern Block Airguns.

Regards Grant, N.Z.

Respond to this message   

(Login oldwizzer)

Relum

November 20 2007, 1:10 PM 

I knew that Relum was a distributor based in London,what i am not aware of is just what other eastern block countries besides Hungry they dealt with.

Sometimes silence is golden,sometimes it's not.

This message has been edited by oldwizzer on Nov 20, 2007 1:11 PM

Respond to this message   

Eastern Block.

November 24 2007, 2:14 PM 

Maybe Eastern Block is not the correct term, but after WWII a lot of those smaller Countries in that area were never quite the same again. Pretty sure that Haenel ended up in the Russian sector. The Berlin Wall divvied up a few more of the German Airgun Makers. Im probably getting a bit out of my depth, Lol.
Regards Grant, N.Z.

This message has been edited by Grantthekiwi on Nov 24, 2007 2:16 PM

Respond to this message   
MDriskill
(Login MDriskill)

Slavia DID make an aperture sight

November 24 2007, 12:26 PM 

In the third edition of "The Airgun Book," (John Walter, 1984), there is a description and photo of a dedicated Slavia target rifle, the model 632. This was based on the 631's action with barrel lock, but has a very nice-looking heavy stock with a vertically-sliding buttplate. Walther states that only small quantities of the 632 were made, between 1973 and 1977.

The photo clearly shows a small, match-style peep sight mounted on this gun's receiver. While the details of its attachment are not visible, I would guess the unusual grooves and flats on your 618 are almost certainly designed to accommodate this sight.

I've never seen a Slavia 632 in the flesh, but it sounds like a very interesting collectible.

Respond to this message   

(Login oldwizzer)

Slavia

November 24 2007, 12:37 PM 

Were the mod.618 622.still being made in 1973?, when did the peep sights first come out?

Respond to this message   

(Login MDriskill)

November 24 2007, 2:04 PM 

Walter's book states that the 618/622 were replaced by the 624 in the "mid 70's."

Sometimes I feel that Mr Walter's research is a little, shall we say, shallow on these lesser-known brands! But nevertheless, it seems safe to assume the 618 was available at the same time as the 632 and its peep sight.

Respond to this message   

(Login oldwizzer)

Re Slavia

November 24 2007, 3:12 PM 

Dave posted this info a while ago.
Slavia 622=1958-1965
Slavia 618= 1965 1975
Slavia 624=1975 1980
Slavia 632=1975 1980
For some reason or other I seem to rember buying a 618 before 1965? I would 'guess' around 1961.
Ejwills

This message has been edited by oldwizzer on Nov 24, 2007 3:23 PM

Respond to this message   
Streak Freak
(Login StreakFreak)

EJ or Dave, where does the 620 come in?

November 24 2007, 3:35 PM 

There's one on Gunbroker right now.

Thanks,

Streak

Respond to this message   

(Login oldwizzer)

November 24 2007, 3:47 PM 

Respond to this message   
StreakFreak
(Login StreakFreak)

Thanks again, EJ. nt

November 24 2007, 4:39 PM 

nt

Respond to this message   

(Login oldwizzer)

welcome. nt.

November 24 2007, 5:14 PM 

nt.

Respond to this message   
Streak Freak
(Login StreakFreak)

Very interesting.

November 24 2007, 2:40 PM 

Although Mr. Kubele is a long-time employee of CZ, I doubt he's been there since the 70's--or long enough to remember the aperture-sighted 632 you describe. Because he didn't come up with your finding, I must suppose that the company lacks an official historian or a file of old advertising material to consult.

Several years ago I bought both a 630 and 631. Accuracy of the former was outstanding. I now regret having sold it, which is probably why I didn't hesitate to spend $25 on the 618. It, too, seems to be a tackdriver despite a fairly stiff trigger.

The Slavias are amazing values and probably sleepers in the collector market. A would-be springer freak might find that marque a good one to start with.

Streak

"So many Sheridans, and so little time."

Respond to this message   
Dave
(Premier Login oldcoot)
Forum Owner

Here's some production info. from CZ

November 24 2007, 5:15 PM 

1950-1958

Air-rifles. Models 802, 803, 603, 608, 612, 615, 618, 620, 622 and 624, mainly calibre 5.5 mm

Air-rifle model 612

Air-pistol, Model ZVP, caibre 4.5 mm

Air-pistol, Model ZVP

1958-1965

Slavia air-rifles - the 603, 608, 612, 620 and 622

Slavia air-rifle - the 622

1975-1988

• Slavia Air rifles-models 630 and 631

Slavia Air rifle - model 630

• The Tex, Model 3 - a break-barrelled air pistol

The Tex, Model 3 - a break-barrelled air pistol

•  

www.vintageairgun.com

Respond to this message   
    Streak Freak
    (Login StreakFreak)

Thanks, Dave. As you and EJ suggested in other posts . . .

November 24 2007, 6:21 PM 

I searched on "Slavia" and read until my eyes crossed and the archive started to repeat. Unfortunately, lots of the accompanying Photobucket illustrations have expired, but I still got a pretty good overview of the many models--and a much better sense of the number and enthusiasm of Slavia collectors! Thanks again to all who responded to my inquiries about the 618.

Streak

Respond to this message   

(Login lauchlin)

619 slavia

November 24 2007, 10:47 PM 

So were do these fit in looks just like my 618

[IMG][/IMG]

Respond to this message   

JEEZ !!

November 25 2007, 3:20 AM 

I thought i was Clever finding a Model 627. Now you come up with a Model 619, Lol. Great find.

Cheers Grant, N.Z.

Respond to this message   

(Login Rlngthndr1977)

Found a 619 slavia rifled

March 24 2008, 11:35 AM 

I was searching through a garage and found a slavia model 619 rifled and was wondering if you had any info on the value?

Respond to this message   
    Current Topic - Tube slots and flats on the Slavia 618
      << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Start  
    This forum dedicated to all that enjoy collecting and restoring airguns. Have fun. Dave