<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Start  

BSF S20 M

December 1 2007 at 8:49 AM
  (Login MDriskill)

(I actually wrote this to answer a "yellow forum" question this morning....which makes it easy to copy-and-inflict on you guys, heh, heh.)

This pistol design dates back to the 1950's, and had a run of popularity in the US in the '60's and '70's. A friend of mine had one when I was a kid....the first "serious" springer I was ever exposed to!

The design is quite interesting. It is actually based on a junior-sized rifle action, the BSF model 30, with the trigger "bullpupped" to be located farther foward (note in the pics below, you can see the sear bar sticking out behind the wood frame). A healthy one will shoot around 450 fps and for many years the S20 was regarded as the most powerful spring pistol available.

There were two versions of the action differentiated by the rear sight, either a simple fixed dovetail-mounted notch sight, or a click-adjustable sight mounted on a plug at the rear of the cylinder. With the target sight it was call the "S20 M,", i.e. "Match" variant. The gun had a one-piece grip/frame, which was also seen in two versions--a plain slab-sided sporter variant, and a rather funny-looking, more curved target-shooting variant with a shallow thumbrest on the left side. You will also see them with and without a front sight hood.

Like other BSF's of the time, the S20 was also made with the brand names Bavaria, Burgo, and Wischo. It's a fun gun to shoot--long but slim, light, and well-balanced with that lovely tapered barrel. I actually prefer the plain version which is a little shorter and lighter, and has a more straightforward trigger adjustment.

This is an early S20 M, characterized by the adjustable sight, sport-type grip, and no front sight hood.

bfd9f016.jpg

09f8125f.jpg

s20_guts.jpg

P.S. This gun is HARD to re-assemble! BTW the three springs in this pic, bottom to top, are for the S20, Webley Senior, and P1.

This message has been edited by MDriskill on Nov 29, 2008 12:58 PM
This message has been edited by MDriskill on Dec 1, 2007 8:52 AM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login oldwizzer)

Nice Write Up...nt.

December 1 2007, 12:19 PM 

nt.

Sometimes silence is golden,sometimes it's not.

Respond to this message   

(Premier Login Grantthekiwi)

Thats a Tidy One Mike.

December 1 2007, 2:40 PM 

Yours varies a bit from the one i have, and yours is in better condition. Thanks for the Stripdown view also.

Regards Grant, N.Z.

Respond to this message   
Dave Durrett
(Login DaveD63)

Here is a Burgo plain model,

December 1 2007, 2:51 PM 

it's slightly shorter than the M model. It has a slightly different contour to the trigger as well.

Respond to this message   

A Standard S-20 BSF.

December 1 2007, 8:27 PM 

[IMG][/IMG]

Regards Grant, N.Z.

Respond to this message   
Dave Durrett
(Login DaveD63)

Standard S-20 front sight question.

December 1 2007, 10:23 PM 

Grant, did you have to build up the front sight on your S-20? The one I have shoots high and I have been unable to find a high front sight blade to correct it.
Dave

Respond to this message   

Front Sight.

December 2 2007, 4:02 AM 

Hi Dave.
I can't see your Front sight too well, but this is what my one looks like.

[IMG][/IMG]

You should be able to get a look at its profile from this angle.

Regards Grant, N.Z.

Respond to this message   
Dave Durrett
(Login DaveD63)

That explains it

December 2 2007, 8:36 AM 

The bead has been broken off the one I have and then filed smooth. Thanks for the picture. Now that I know I'm not messing with the original piece I'll just build it up with the TIG and try and shape it like yours.
Dave

Respond to this message   

No Problem.

December 2 2007, 1:21 PM 

I thought you may had lost the Bead, but i couldnt see clearly. Its pretty common for them to get broken off over the years. If your handy with a Gas torch, you could just Silver solder a small piece of slightly tapered round material to the top of your blade and clean it up to look as good as new. Good Luck.

Regards Grant, N.Z.

Respond to this message   
davec
(Login dvc73)

great writeup Mike, are those walnut grips?

December 2 2007, 9:17 AM 

I used to have a "Match" variant, with the hooded front sight. Great piece, found it a lot more shootable than the Diana's though not as refined.

Respond to this message   

(Login MDriskill)

S20 grips

December 2 2007, 7:48 PM 

Dave, as far as I know all S20's, both sporter and Match variants, had walnut grips--I've seen some quite lovely figuring on many of them. Mine is a bit on the plain side compared to Dave and Grant's guns pictured above!

This message has been edited by MDriskill on Dec 3, 2007 12:58 PM

Respond to this message   

(Login als57)

I have the Wischo CM version and as I recall Beeman

December 3 2007, 10:14 AM 

advertised them as being walnut as well.

Al

Respond to this message   

(Login dougotis)

S-20 stocks

December 8 2007, 10:45 PM 

I have two BSF marked S20 stocks and they are different.
One has ONLY the single hole thru grip for the long thru bolt and has not been drilled
throughb the forend like most have to take two more screws.
Have you seen these variants before Mike and others?

Doug Law
dlaw1940@yahoo.com
www.bigspringguns.net

Respond to this message   

(Login willy1)

Does it have one main spring? or one inside the other.

December 4 2007, 11:20 AM 

Or do they use all 3?

system overloaded

Respond to this message   
MDriskill
(Login MDriskill)

Spring comparison

December 4 2007, 8:10 PM 

Willy, the S20 uses only one spring.

The bottom spring in the pic is the S20's, the middle one is for a Webley Senior, and the top one is for a P1. I just stuck them in the picture together for comparison purposes.

Respond to this message   

(Login willy1)

Thanks man,i though i was loosen it"

December 4 2007, 9:19 PM 

Some day i will have a s-20

system overloaded

Respond to this message   

(Login dougotis)

BSF

December 6 2007, 5:50 PM 

Nice history on the S20 Mike, Ive always ienjoyed BSF funs and have several. Any books with info just on BSF.
I have two sets of new grips for the S20 but they do not have the hole in the forend from the side. Looks like they were made for an early version with just the thru bolt.
One of the grips looks like walnut and I have a very nice one with maple looking grip both have BSF metal emblem on side.
I also have a very nbice S70, 54 with peep sight.
Pretty hard not to appreciate German quality airguns!
Doug Law
dlaw1940@yahoo.com
www.bigspringguns.net

Respond to this message   

(Login dougotis)

BSF

December 7 2007, 9:23 PM 

Mike lovely article on the S20 I have one coming with the match site, Ill know more when it arrives.
I have a question, I have a very nice BSF 54 underlever rifle (no checkering on pistol grip so not a sport but the std model) It does have the match peep sight which I bought seperately and put on the rifle.

Marking on receiver, instead of Made in Germany or Made in West Germany it is marked

Made in Germany West-any thoughts on dates etc? I can look up serial number or other details for you. I can send pixd to a email address but have trouble with web sites. I finally got a camera with settings for small pix size 150mb etc.

I really like the BSF guns

3 inches of snow so far with threats of anothe3r six inches tonight! in southwestern Nebraska!!

Doug Law
dlaw1940@yahoo.com
www.bigspringguns.net

Respond to this message   

Mike
(Login 17hornet)

Heres'a couple of the S 20's ......

December 9 2007, 9:28 AM 

2 version differences I have seem to be in the grip, front sight hood and the rear sight. The trigger is smaller, and as you can see, mine is missing the trigger guard which is attached differently than the plain gripped one. gotta look at the Sn's.
Sorry for the poor background.....

This message has been edited by 17hornet on Dec 9, 2007 11:47 AM

Respond to this message   

(Login MDriskill)

Cool!

December 9 2007, 6:03 PM 

Mike, thanks for those excellent pics! Both of these guns are, in my reckoning, model S20 M's, by virtue of the rear sight--the early version has the standard grip and no sight hood, late gun has more hand-filling grip and front sight hood. I had never appreciated the subtle difference between the early and late rear sight before.

One dumb question--are the trigger blades really different? Or is it just that the late-style grip hides more of the blade? I can't quite decide even after studying these.

Respond to this message   

(Login 17hornet)

HA! you might be right....

December 9 2007, 8:04 PM 

After looking at the pics again, I see what you mean...I think I may have to remove stocks to be sure....I do know the blade on the match grip version has a much nicer fit and finish.
Mike

Respond to this message   

(Login dougotis)

Wischo S20M

December 11 2007, 6:04 PM 

Mike I just acquired from Santa (he arrived early) a very nice Wischo S 20 M and Ill try to send you a pix of it later.
First I remember someones comments all the BSF guns had walnut stocks. I have an uninstalled new condition stock with BSF metal disc on side and it looks like maple or oak. Maybe its just a light shade of walnut who knows Ill try and send you a small pix sometime. Also one of my two unusued S20 stocks has only a hole in the stock for the thru bolt up the grip. There are no holes on the side of forearm.
Is this another variation?
And my Wischo is marked just like my BSF 54, Made in Germany West.

does this help date these guns it seems strange to me. It does not say made in West Germany but the other way around .

Interesting guns these BSF models. As I recall the serial number on the cocking link has only four digits. Any thoughts old maestro of German air guns?
My Wischo S 20 M has the adjustable rear sight, a W metal disc on each side of grip for Wischo, and no shade or hood over the front sight blade.
Oh yes it has the match type stock with thumbrest on the left for your right thumb. Neat indeed. Ill look it over more tonight.
Doug Law
dlaw1940@yahoo.com
www.bigspringguns.net

Respond to this message   
simon
(Login jedi-lego)

3 x BSF S20

November 28 2008, 10:23 AM 

Here 3 BSF S20 from my collection.Some of you guys talked about different triggers and triggergards.Yes there are differences in the S20 models.Greetings Simon

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - BSF S20 M
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Start  
This forum dedicated to all that enjoy collecting and restoring airguns. Have fun. Dave