<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Start  

BSF Model S60

September 8 2008 at 11:06 PM
Sarge1572  (Login sarge1572)

I recently came into possession of a BSF Model S60 in fair condition. I am interested in restoring it to its former glory and was hoping someone could direct me to a parts supplier. Used parts are probably the best I can hope for so any supplier or hobbiest that may have parts is welcome information.

I am currently in need of a front sight bead or blade. The front of the barrel is dovetailed to accept the sight. The rear sight platform is still on the rifle (it appears to be the base for the target style fully adjustable rear sight), but the insert and the elevation pieces are missing.

I am also interested in a schematic or parts blowup and any specs on spring tensions for the mainspring.

Any information is appreciated.

Thanks
Jeff

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
RossB
(Login RossB)

BSF S60

September 9 2008, 5:01 PM 

It might be helpful to source a copy of Volume 17 Air Rifle Monthly "Special 55N Handbook Issue".
This 48 page handbook copyrighted in 1969 by Robert Law of Air Rifle Headquarters is very helpful.
It covers disassembly and reassembly of Bavaria/BSF/Burgo/Wischo 55/60/70 air rifles.
Note that the scope rail interlocks the trigger block into place and is the first item to be unscrewed during disassembly.
Doug Law may be able to provide a copy of the handbook.
The original front sight was a cheap zinc casting painted black.
Better aftermarket units (Marble, Williams, etc) fit the dovetail.
I got spare rear sight parts for my S70 from New Zealand (thanks Grant).
I believe Weihrauch breech seals fit the BSFs.
Macarri supplies a universal mainspring (28 coil, .128" wire) which fits.
Stronger springs (32+ coils, .128"+ wire) will fit, boosting power without adding significant harshness.
Some "Export" versions of BSF air rifles can have serious mainspring preload.
Use of a spring compressor is recommended.

Respond to this message   
Jeff
(Login sarge1572)

bsf S60

September 9 2008, 5:10 PM 

Thank you for the information. I was becoming a bit frustrated with my inability to find information on this manufacturer and model.

This is a neighbors gun that has been in their basement for years and was hers in the '60's (according to her). I'm trying to rehab it for her to give to her grandson. I'm not sure when they were made, but it is in remarkably good shape with very little rust or damage, even looks like the original finish on the stock.

Thank you again. I will pursue the information you provided.

Jeff

Respond to this message   
RossB
(Login RossB)

BSF S60

September 9 2008, 5:40 PM 

BSF S60 is shown in WHB Smith's 1957 1st edition of "Gas, Spring and Air Guns of the World".
Produced by Bayerische Sportswaffen Fabriken (BSF) in Erlangen Germany as their top sporting airgun.
Was superceded by the model 55 in the 1960s and the S70 approx 1973.
Internal parts were interchangeable on 55/60/70.
Variations were in stocks, sights, and barrel lengths.
760 fps in .177 with standard mainsprings.
810 fps in .177 with export mainsprings.
BSF went out of business in 1985 and their factory and parts inventory were purchased by Weihrauch.
1980s vintage HW85s were rumoured to be BSF55s with Rekord triggers.

Respond to this message   
Jeff
(Login sarge1572)

Re: BSF S60

September 11 2008, 2:20 PM 

RossB,

Thank you for the information. I just bought a copy of SMITHS ENCYCLOPEDIA OF GAS AIR SPRING GUNS 1957 on ebay and am waiting for it to arrive. I'm new to the field and am not familiar with suppliers as yet, so I'm still in search of parts.

As indicated in your post the Smith book should have the schematics I need. I've also emailed Weihrauch to see if they have any parts available or if parts from their current rifles will fit. Presently I'm in search of the front and rear sights, the rest of the rifle is in tact, although I'm sure anything not steel or wood will need replacing to function properly. I believe this rifle has been sitting in the owners basement for 25+ years. The outside has cleaned up beautifully, no rust, very little wear on the bluing and only a few blemishes on the stock. The finish on the stock even appears to be untouched. If I can renew it the owners grandchildren (now in their mid 20's) should enjoy the nostalgia of having their grandmothers pelletgun.

Do you know of any dealers or parts supppliers that may have parts for this?

Thanks again
Jeff

Respond to this message   

Grant
(Premier Login Grantthekiwi)

ARH BSF Book.

September 10 2008, 5:03 PM 

Here is a Picture of the ARH Book that Ross B mentioned to give you an idea of what to look for.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/576299/message/1191657138/An+Interesting+New+Addition.

Regards Grant, N.Z.

Respond to this message   
doug law
(Login dougotis)

BSF info

September 10 2008, 5:10 PM 

I have a collection of Air Rifle Headquarters I may not have that issue I can sell you but I can make a photocopy of it. Its a very good publication and I have 15-25 different issues.
WRite me at dlaw1940@yahoo.com

for more info on Robert Law publications, were not related that I know of, but I don havbe a BSF S 20 target pistol; BSF 44 carbine and a S 70 I can send you pix of them if you like.
Doug Law
dlaw1940@yahoo.com
www.bigspringguns.net

Respond to this message   
doug law
(Login dougotis)

ARM 17-BSF 55N Handbook

September 13 2008, 10:41 AM 

If youre interested in a reprint of the Air Rifle Monthly 49 page booklet that was written by Robert Law of Air Rifle Headquarters, I could make you a reprint. If youre interested send me an email to dlaw1940@yahoo.com

This pahphlet has very good info on the various BSF airguns. I should have an exploded parts diagram of the S 60 somewhere, it will take me some time to find it.Im a full time newspaper sports writer.

Doug Law
dlaw1940@yahoo.com
www.bigspringguns.net
308-377-2018 mst

Respond to this message   

Chuck Jordan
(Login chuckjordan2)

There are 2 parts suppliers for BSF

September 13 2008, 12:44 PM 

This message has been edited by chuckjordan2 on Sep 13, 2008 12:45 PM

Respond to this message   
Don R.
(Login oldair)

Matts Hammer - Ingvar Alm connection...

September 13 2008, 4:15 PM 

Ingvar isn't an uncle to Matts, rather a long-time friend and fellow Swede. Ingvar still makes occasional trips to Sweden (actually I think he's returning this weekend after a month's stay there) and sometimes brings interesting stuff back.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Start  
This forum dedicated to all that enjoy collecting and restoring airguns. Have fun. Dave