<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Start  

Walther 55 or HW 55 or?

August 6 2009 at 10:56 AM

(Login chrismel)

After 30 years of playing with dozens and dozens of spring air rifles HW, FWB, BSA, and Webley and so on I sold them all with the thought of owning one evil rifle (PCP) which I now have for hunting and pest control and one Springer.
The Springer will be used for informal target shooting and plinking. I would like it to be moderate in size, easy to cock, .177, accurate, and quiet as possible.

Originally I kept an HW30S tuned by PW for this roll, but it was a bit too small and light. Most of my other Springers focused on the most power possible, which I dont need. In retrospect, if I would have had Paul put a softer spring in the HW50S he tuned for me it may have been ideal.

Anyway, I have never owned one of the older target rifles and believe they may be exactly what I am looking for.
As far as price, it does not really matter. Admittedly the main reason for selling off the 3 dozen rifles I had was financial, driven by the economy and family health issues, but given I am going to own just two total I feel I can justify just about any cost.

So if you folks can offer some opinions I would appreciate it. Thank you.

Thanks,

Chris

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login ddmann)

Well Chris this will be an interesting thread

August 6 2009, 11:27 AM 

No doubt messrs. Blackwell and Driskoll will chime in hopefully with even more pictures of their lovely guns with the myriad of variations that can be had. I do not own a Walther 55, yet that is!, but I do own an older HW50S built in 1978 and a Burgo marked HW55. Both of these guns have the extra heft that your HW30 lacked, (in fact the lack of heft is my only complaint with my R7) are finely balanced and a extremely easy to cock. I sometimes joke that these are what an R7 looks like when he grows up.

If you have the time peurse the links on that crazy cool slide out thingy that Dave installed for us, look under Compainion forums and click on the "Down Range" section. Tons of great information and pictures of the different variations of these two guns.

Respond to this message   

Chris
(Login chrismel)

looking forward

August 6 2009, 11:45 AM 

to the educated opinions here. I always wanted the most power in a Springer so I have no experience with what I now suspect are sweet pleasant shooters that feel full sized but not too heavy.

Respond to this message   
MDriskill
(Login MDriskill)

The "Big Three"

August 6 2009, 1:09 PM 

Chris, reading between the lines of your post, seems like you prefer barrel-cockers, and the lightness/handling thing is a big deal, so I'll concentrate on those.

There are three classic families of guns from the heyday of break-barrel springer target guns: the Diana 60 series, Walther LG series, and Weihrauch HW 55.

The Dianas have the advantage of being truly recoilless, using the Giss double-piston system. They are internally complex but the quality and performance of these guns is fantastic. IMHO they are rather underrated by collectors, the quality of the checkering and wood finish in particular can put the Walthers and HW's to shame. My personal favorite is the model 60, which is a bit smaller and lighter than the later models 65 and 66. It has an easily removable barrel sleeve, thus works either as a target rifle or lighter plinker.

Here are two examples of the model 60, first with the standard stock, the other a model 60 Tyrolean:

[linked image]

[linked image]

I won't say too much about the Walthers as so many outrageously GORGEOUS ones have already appeared in this string (Gaines...Tom...Garvin...have mercy)! The quality and performance of these guns is awesome, their biggest claim to fame being the incredible level of metal polishing and rich blueing. Great trigger, great sights, they have it all. My personal favorite of the family is the LGV Olympia, and I wholeheartedly back Tom Strayhorn's comment about the stock--to me the all-round best-handling stock I've ever picked up. Again, like the Diana the LGV usually has a barrel sleeve, it is very heavy but removes easily, and the lighter sleeve from the earlier Walther 55 fits also. It truly works well as either a ten-meter gun or for more casual shooting:

[linked image]

[linked image]

But I freely admit to huge personal prejudice in favor of the HW 55. I don't know what it is, just something about it that has some real personality and clicks for me. I love the handling, I love the feel of the nifty barrel latch, I love the Rekord trigger, I love the feel of shooting it. They are easy to work on and plenty of parts are around. Gaines is right about them being longer than the Walthers, though. To me it's just the king of all-rounders. If I could own only one springer rifle this would be the one, but picking which stock would be pretty tough! Here are several variations:

HW 55 MM, Bavarian-style stock. Great all-round design, really pretty to my eye. Late ones like this example have a fore end accessory rail:

[linked image]

HWB Champ, the junior HW 55 version. This has a REALLY small stock--uncomfortable for most adult hands. Also has shorter barrel with sleeve and a positionable trigger blade, which are kinda neat though:

[linked image]

HW 55 Tyrolean, to my eye the most elegantly-proportioned Tyro on any of the old target guns. Also a rather shorter "pull" (distance from trigger to butt) than the other full-size HW 55 versions.

[linked image]

HW 55 CM "Custom Match," FWB-like target stock, but much lighter and nimbler than you might think from its appearance. This is the rifle I shoot the most, period:

[linked image]

HW 55 S, plain beech "Sport" stock. Slim, trim, more rounded edges and tougher wood, it's a great choice for all-round shooting, especially outdoors:

[linked image]

Respond to this message   

(Login chrismel)

sounds good

August 6 2009, 2:04 PM 

nt

Respond to this message   

(Login ddmann)

Okay how did I miss this post

August 6 2009, 10:54 PM 

Chris I did not mention the Diana 60 in my original post because you did not mention it. My diana 60 was so impressive to a fellow airgunner here locally, who BTW was a dedicated High Horsepower Springer Fan, that after he spent a couple of hours with the D60 in his prescence went on a hunt on GB to find one. After a couple of months he found one. And it is every bit as impressive as mine. The only drawback I can see for you is the weight. Unfortunately due to the recoilless action in these guns they are a bit heaver than either my HW 50S or HW55. That said, it is a pure joy to shoot. In fact I even took it out on a squirrel hunt recently. Four shots, four direct hits. Yes I was a little more tired than normal but I impressed the bejeusus out of the guy I was out with.
Firepower wise it does not posess the velocity of either the 50S OR the 55. However its accuracy is uncanny!

Respond to this message   

(Login GainesBlackwell)

HW55's and LG 55's

August 6 2009, 1:22 PM 

Chris......I got interested in both about 6 years ago and have owned about 20+ of each but a few less now. I find them both wonderful and moderately different. The HW 55 seems to be more in demand here and the Walther more plentiful in Germany. HW's bring somewhat higher prices , all things being equal. The LG is similar to the HW but the receiver tube is shorter on the LG making the gun noticeably more compact. I would characterize the LG was being more purely a match gun and the HW a match/sporter. Most LG's came with a factory sleeve, most HW's did not.The HW 55 and original HW 50 were basically the same gun and a HW 50 spring adds 40-50 fps to the 55 but I prefer the 55 spring. When in original condition I would rate the LG as a simpler design, a little more finicky and slightly better fit and finished....the HW being more robust. I think they were equally accurate, both use modular triggers of similar fine quality. Parts are getting scarce but can be found, the HW having a slight advantage in the US. I am short...5-6 and feel the LG was made to fit me, my friend Mike Driskill is about 6-0 and feels the same about the HW. The vast majority of HW 55's have a breech lock, the "F" models do not. If you want a Walther with a lock look at the next model, the LGV....Same internals.

They are both pieces of airgun history and eventually you should try for both! Please excuse the quality of this picture but the guns on the left and in the center are LG's and the others HW's. these happen to be Tyroleans but I prefer the match versions for shooting:
[IMG][linked image][/IMG]

An HW 55 Match, this one marked "Burgo" a marketing firm like Beeman .

And a super nice LG 55 with double triggers and an optical sight....not a scope:

I will be glad to send more pictures and information but far gearter knowledge than mine is on this forum...

Gaines

Respond to this message   

Chris
(Login chrismel)

Nod to the Walther so far

August 6 2009, 2:01 PM 

I am just over 5'7" so the fact that the Walthers fit you well should mean the same for me. For example from a sitting position the FWB 124 was always a bit too much of a reach, so I assume you mean overall length? Do you know what an average length is? Beautiful rifles by the way. My guess is for a shooter the standard would be a better choice?

Respond to this message   

(Login rokarf)

Don't forget the .....................

August 6 2009, 3:15 PM 

Walther LG53 with the sporter stock !!!

These lovely gun are lightweight and as accurate as its succesors the LG55 and LGV.

Or the Weihrauch HW55Champ with its junior sized stock !!
(shown WITH A BUTT PLATE SPACER above a Standard HW55)

--------------------
Frank

Respond to this message   

Chris
(Login chrismel)

looks nice, but

August 6 2009, 3:31 PM 

I also have to find an actual rifle foe sale. Don't ever recall seeing a 53, but then I never looked. I do see the 55's once in awhile.

Respond to this message   

(Login TStray)

Another Walther 53 model

August 6 2009, 4:19 PM 

There was also a model 53 Match made only for a few years that had a Brayen style cheek piece. Only difference between the 53 and 55 is the trigger unit and stock style.
Top rifle is another LGV Spezial with UIT stock, Bottom rifle is a LG53M and it is available for adoption.

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

"Love them Walthers"
Hell I love them ALL

Tom Strayhorn
Catawissa Missouri

Respond to this message   

(Login paulaus511)

LG 53M

August 6 2009, 6:06 PM 

Tom -

Are you selling this Rifle ??

Thanks,
Paul.

Respond to this message   

(Login TStray)

Have you considered a Walther LGV Spezial Junior

August 6 2009, 2:36 PM 

Walthers last attempt at taming recoil came with the incarnation of the Spezial with dual counter-wound springs a completely redesigned match trigger, improved rear diopter sight along with milled dovetail for mounting the sight. With the earlier LGV Olympia a new piston head design was introduced for improved performance and this carried over to the Spezial.
The LGV Spezial came in a variety of stock styles including the LGV S Junior with a shorter length of pull and lighter barrel weight. Here are some pics of a Spezial Junior I am working on at the moment.

[linked image]

[linked image]

"Love them Walthers"
Hell I love them ALL

Tom Strayhorn
Catawissa Missouri

Respond to this message   

(Login GainesBlackwell)

Tom, The Spezial Jr is my favorite Walther of all time....

August 6 2009, 3:38 PM 

Very nice example, Garvin has one I would attempt to swim the Atlantic to get. Perfect fit, perfect shooter !!!!GB

Respond to this message   

(Login chrismel)

I like a sporter look better

August 6 2009, 3:41 PM 

also I don't want to go to heavy. For example my HW97K was nice but felt like a tree trunk. Instead I picture a middle weight rifle that throws a STD weight pellet 550 to 600 fps. Butter smooth to cock like an old Diana smoothbore from the 1930's I owned for about a week, it will be effortless to spend time punch paper or plinking. Lastly, it will be deadly accurate and a true test of skills.

Respond to this message   

(Login TStray)

Sporter stocked LGV

August 6 2009, 4:32 PM 

Known as the LGV Olympia model, rifle on top in comparison to the LG55 on the bottom.

[linked image]

"Love them Walthers"
Hell I love them ALL

Tom Strayhorn
Catawissa Missouri

Respond to this message   

(Login ddmann)

A question Mr. Strayhorn

August 6 2009, 8:18 PM 

Your picture brings to mind a question I have about the LGV. How do you discern the difference between a Olympia and Spezial models? For the life of me I cannot figure this out.

Respond to this message   

(Login GainesBlackwell)

Dennis, Not Tom but some pictuires of a Spezial and an Olympia....

August 6 2009, 8:33 PM 

Spezial on top:

Olympia:

There is a rare Spezial Tyrolean, distinguished only by it's trigger...externally:

Respond to this message   

(Login ddmann)

So am I correct in assuming

August 6 2009, 9:55 PM 

That a Spezial and Olympia share the large bumpout on the rear of the stock, but differ in the forestoeck; a Spezial having a much larger and square shaped forestock while the Olympia has a much smaller rounded one?

Respond to this message   

(Login TStray)

Almost

August 6 2009, 11:09 PM 

Dennis,
The stocks are quite different as the Oly is more like the earlier LG55 in shape but with more of an upright grip and it is stippled where the 55 has hand cut chekering. Other differences between the Oly and Spezial are trigger units, rear sight, the Oly has a single spring where the Spezial has dual counterwound springs with a spacer/guide in between them and a milled recriver.

Some improvments in the Spezial have been seen in later Olympias.

"Love them Walthers"
Hell I love them ALL

Tom Strayhorn
Catawissa Missouri

Respond to this message   

(Login ddmann)

Thanks Tom that clears up a few q's I had

August 7 2009, 12:21 AM 

I had not noticed the difference in the grip. And of course never owning either I had no idea the trigger units were so different. Oddly I think I have seen several "spezials" advertised that had stippled grips, (which, BTW I favor).

I noticed that you also said that later Oly's included improvements from the spezials. Do you know of database, (sort of like Crossman I suppose) that one could look up a serial # and determine the date of manufactue? I have noticed that many sellers willingly divulge that information.

This thread may qualify as the greatest "Buyers Guide" of all time!

Respond to this message   

(Login chrismel)

the photos that compare size

August 6 2009, 9:08 PM 

and style are very helpful

Respond to this message   

(Login GainesBlackwell)

Chris, The LG 55 usually have a sleeve and internal lead weight...

August 6 2009, 5:03 PM 

that can lighten the gun. I will soon be 70 and not very strong and find the Spezial Jr great to shoot but the Walther Sporters are jewels..

A little history, I will concentrate on Walthers but can add HW 55's if anyone is interested.

A LG 51 M ZD......No sleeves until the 55 model came out, "Z" stands for rifling....the first airguns after WW2 were smooth bore by law, until about 1951, The "D" stands for diopter...also outlawed...and added to the 51-52 guns by mounting a stub in the wrist....One of my favorites:

A LG 51 ZD Sporter. this one was a real dog, restored at the Korn Institute in NW Holland. You would not believe how bad it was !!! Thanks Frank !

A LG 52 M, very similar to the 51 ZD, rifling and diopter now standard: Has a contemporary Anschutz iris on it:

[IMG][linked image][/IMG

A LG 53 Sporter: Now the diopter is mounted on the receiver...This one was in fine condition but had nails imbedded in the piston ! Reric rebuilt with JG spring and custom turned seal....buttery shooter at about 5 pounds:

A standard LG 55 M with sleeve: In fine shape and one of the few to arrive shooting like new.

A HW 55 M for comparison....This one stamped Burgo and has the unique Burgo sleeve with a LG type nut:

The two 55's together....Hard to tell but the HW receiver is about 13 3/4 " long and the LG about 11 5/8". It shifts the HW weight forward but the LG 55 had an internal lead weight so is heavier" HW 55 is a bit long for me.

My LGVS Jr. , these are perfect for my size and my favorite Walther to shoot.
Diopter off, the Spezial has cut 11 mm grooves and requires the removal of the receiver cap to install the diopter...This one is a steel KK diopter with a Hensoldt iris.

And why it was off....One of those optical sights on it for a few days:

I would go for a LG 55 M , remove the sleeve and weight, install a JM spring and a fitted JG seal....hard to beat as a shooter.

I will add some Walther varients later on...

Gaines

Respond to this message   

Chris
(Login chrismel)

Mr. Blackwell – simply wonderful looking rifles.

August 6 2009, 5:10 PM 

Your expert guidance is appreciated.

Respond to this message   

(Login airguneditor1)

How about an HW35E?

August 6 2009, 4:45 PM 

43.5 inches long, 7.8 pounds, nicely balanced. 12.5 fp in .22, easy to cock, easy to shoot well & dead accurate thanks in part to the barrel latch.

I'm testing one now, and it's one of the nicest airguns I've shot in a long, long time. It simply does a number of things with aplomb.

Jock Elliott
Airgun writer,
correspondent, Precision Shooting Magazine
author, "Elliott on Airguns"
http://sites.google.com/site/elliottonairguns/
airgun blog:https://www.airgunsofarizona.com/blog/blog.html

Respond to this message   

(Login GainesBlackwell)

Jock, the 35E is a classic, hard to imagine a better sporter....

August 6 2009, 5:08 PM 

Chris might prefer the 35L model as it is also walnut but with a Bayern cheekpiece and a 2" shorter barrel. GB

Respond to this message   

(Login chrismel)

I had considered it since AOA has them new

August 6 2009, 5:14 PM 

But would really like to try an older classic.

Respond to this message   

(Login GainesBlackwell)

Oddly enough the HW 35 is an old German classic !!!

August 6 2009, 5:30 PM 

It just happens to still be in production...LOL Mike and Frank will know the dates but 35's were made contemporarily with early 55's and remain in production. Admittedly the older guns had a nicer finish and can be found with nicer wood. I would much prefer a nice example from the 60-70 era but then I am a collector. I do not know of another airgun in longer continuous production.

Respond to this message   

Chris
(Login chrismel)

whoops

August 6 2009, 5:50 PM 

I should have chosen my words more carefully; I knew that the HW35 had a long history. I have never owned one, going for an early R-1 instead due to my constant power search but I will guess the 35 will be a higher cocking effort at 12 ft lbs. The 6- 7 ft lbs of an R-7 is all I need.

Respond to this message   

Jim E
(Login troutmd)

Neither

August 6 2009, 6:13 PM 

[linked image]

No recoil ... superior trigger ... better ergonomics ... 20-clicker rear sight for more precision control ... did I say LOOKS?

Respond to this message   

(Login FourRings)

OK, slightly larger than an HW 30, sporter stock, classic...

August 6 2009, 7:15 PM 

That sounds an awful lot like a 70s/80s version of an HW 50 S to me. The 50 S or R8 in its Beeman config. is essentially the same action as an HW 55, but with a sporter stock, slightly heavier spring, and no barrel locking latch. The 50 S is slightly bigger/heavier than the HW 30, but lighter than a 35.

Hope this doesn't confuse the decision too much

Mike

BTW, here are a couple of pics of mine....

[linked image]

[linked image]

Respond to this message   

Chris
(Login chrismel)

I will take all the information I can get

August 6 2009, 8:48 PM 

Power and size wise that does sound about right

Respond to this message   

(Premier Login Garvin2)

Wow! What a great thread.

August 6 2009, 8:43 PM 

I'm not sure of the answer to the original question and I can't compete with the excellent pics posted by Gaines, Tom and one or two others. But here is a pic showing most of the Walther models together, which gives an idea of their relative sizes, subject to the distortion of perspective.

[linked image]

[linked image]

Respond to this message   

(Login chrismel)

very helpful

August 6 2009, 8:49 PM 

thanks

Respond to this message   

(Login GainesBlackwell)

Garvin, some might think you posted this truly wonderful photo essay

August 6 2009, 9:30 PM 

to be helpful but I know you did it to goad me with that LGV Spezial Jr. Sadist get pleasure out of tormenting others....I bet you pulled the wings off flys as a kid !!LOL

Lusting in Alabama,

Gaines

Respond to this message   

(Premier Login Garvin2)

Gaines it might be less

August 7 2009, 5:21 AM 

of a strain from a distance point of view if you were to covet VladB's Spezial Jr instead. LOL.

Maybe we could arrange a swap to be concluded next time you're over here....

The Falke forum, dedicated to Falke airguns

Respond to this message   

(Login VladB)

Garvin, what a...

August 7 2009, 10:21 PM 

BEAUTIFUL collection!!! Thank you very much for sharing!

Respond to this message   

(Login VladB)

Re: Walther 55 or HW 55 or?

August 6 2009, 11:05 PM 

Small guys unite! Well, height challenged if you want to be politically correct.

I am 5'5" and while both HW's and LG55's fit me well, like Gaines mentioned, Walther is little bit more compact.

It is really hard to choose one over the other (that's how we end up with so many), right Gaines? happy.gif

I have a number of 2 HW55's, an early example of a Match and a later version of a Tyrolean. Then I have a Walther LG51, LG53, LG55 DST, LG55 Tyrolean, LGV Junior, LGV Olympia, and LGV Spezial. You can see the pattern...I am a little partial to Walther's. But is really hard to go wrong with HW's, especially early HW's.

I am going to post some pictures in separate threads below, so they load faster.

Respond to this message   

(Login VladB)

LG 55 Tyrolean

August 6 2009, 11:08 PM 

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Respond to this message   

Chris
(Login chrismel)

Amazing lumber on that one

August 6 2009, 11:11 PM 

everyone here has been very helpful

Respond to this message   

(Login ddmann)

Oh my, now that is some serious taunting nt.

August 7 2009, 12:24 AM 

Respond to this message   

(Login VladB)

LG 55

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Respond to this message   

anonymous
(Premier Login airgunbuff)

Vlad...I'm getting wood...stop !!!!!!

September 12 2009, 1:47 PM 

kidding....man I envey you and your air rifles.....I guess a man can't have just one can he.
kindly
ron

Respond to this message   

(Login VladB)

Hey Ron

September 25 2009, 7:24 PM 

nice to see your name.

Don't envy me, I just started paying for my older son's college and that's in addition to us paying for my wife's Master's (she's got one semester left) and our younger son's extracurricular activities happy.gif.

Respond to this message   

anonymous

Good to be seen Vlad

September 26 2009, 11:00 AM 

what I envy is your taste is fine airguns. If you ever decide to part with one of your old girls please let me know...as I am your man. I still shoot that Diana 75 you sold me....what a tack driver. I hear you about family commitments...Be well my friend, oh by the way how is your neck doing these days???
kindly
ron

Respond to this message   
Vlad Berchanskiy
(Login VladB)

Hi Ron...

September 27 2009, 1:40 PM 

Thank you very much!

As far as my neck, it is still a pain, well, in a neck. I am going to a chiropractor every week and doing all kind of exercises, stretches, and traction at home. The key is being consistent and doing it on a regular basis. Then it is tolerable but as soon as I stop exercises or something else triggers it (stress, physical activity, etc) I am in a lot of pain.

Thank you for asking, Ron!

Respond to this message   

(Login VladB)

LGV Jr

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Respond to this message   

(Login VladB)

LGV Spezial

August 6 2009, 11:10 PM 

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Respond to this message   

(Login VladB)

HW 55 Tyrolean

August 6 2009, 11:13 PM 

This one unfortunately left Vlad's House of Airguns but I also have another more contemporary (not nearly as nice) version of HW55T.

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Respond to this message   

(Login VladB)

HW 35E

August 6 2009, 11:16 PM 

Well, it is not an HW55 but it belongs in the family and can be used for some informal target shooting. This is just a great all around gun.

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Respond to this message   

(Login chrismel)

larger in size than an HW55?

August 6 2009, 11:27 PM 

thanks

Respond to this message   

(Login VladB)

Re: larger in size than an HW55?

August 6 2009, 11:33 PM 

The overall length is definitely is longer. As far as length of pull, I will have to measure it.

Respond to this message   

(Login FourRings)

Larger receiver diameter as well, which adds somewhat to the overall weight

August 7 2009, 10:39 AM 

The 35 uses the same receiver diameter as the R1. Actually its the other way around, as some would argue that the R1 is an updated 35. In any case the bigger tube is heavier

HTH

Mike

Respond to this message   
MDriskill
(Login MDriskill)

HW 35 length

August 7 2009, 11:10 AM 

As FourRings noted, the 35's receiver is 5mm larger in diameter than the HW 50 or HW 55 (i.e., the real original HW 50, not the re-named HW 99/R6 of recent years). The tube is, however, exactly the same LENGTH as those two closely-related designs.

The 35's barrel is the same diameter of the 50 and 55, but about 2 inches longer, to restore correct balance for the heavier receiver....this would be the sort of thing airgun makers used to think about, prior to the era of over-powered, over-sized springers with square-edged railroad ties for stocks.

Most versions of the HW 35 have superbly designed stocks, whose slender, rounded lines very nicely mask the bulk of the big receiver. It is widely regarded as one of the finest-handling full-size sporters ever made, and certainly more pleasant in the hands than its descendants, the R1 and HW 77/97.

The overall weight for an open-sighted HW 35 is around 8 pounds, about the same as an HW 55 with the heavy factory diopter rear sight. Length-of-pull is similar for both guns. Like all HW rifles, the HW 35 can take HW's match sights.

Respond to this message   
Al
(Login als57)

HW 35 and HW 55 size pic

August 7 2009, 5:32 PM 

Chris:

I see you found your way over here. The pics below are of a (top) Burgo HW 55 I recently acquired and the (bottom gun) is a HW 35 that I bought in the spring. The 35 is an 11+ ft/lb gun and probably requires more effort to cock than you want. Anyway here are a couple pics.

Al

[linked image] [linked image]

Respond to this message   

Chris
(Login chrismel)

Looks like I'll try the Walther

August 7 2009, 9:32 PM 

I'll let you guys know exactly which one and what I think of it soon.

Thanks a million to everyone.

Respond to this message   

(Login AIRCRETE)

I like this one

August 8 2009, 11:20 AM 

Walther LG 55 Tyrolean, recently restored with Maccari internals. Strictly a 10m rifle but capable of producing a single hole all day long with 6.9 grains H&N Finale Match pellets.

Respond to this message   

(Login chrismel)

Want to buy – Walther LG 55

September 8 2009, 10:26 PM 

I will give it a good home. I am hoping for one in 90% or above condition and healthy. Please respond via e-mail only. Photos will be greatly appreciated along with your required price.
I want to take replies for a week and make a decision by the 14th if that is ok.

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,
Chris

Respond to this message   

(Login AIRCRETE)

It is just my view

September 11 2009, 4:49 AM 

You may be lucky finding a 90%+ Walther LG 55, but judging from my experience you may wish to consider restoring a neglected one as well.

I found a Tyrolean-stocked LG 55 with the timber in tatters, a broken mainspring, missing bits a bolts, broken front sight etc.

It took me a year, or so, to restore it to its near-factory health condition with kind help and advice from this very community.

Buying and shooting a restored LG 55 is fine and dandy, but actually returning a relic to its previous perforating ability and squeezing a neat rugged hole at 10m is a savoury experience. happy.gif

Respond to this message   

Chris
(Login chrismel)

not so sure

September 11 2009, 3:45 PM 

thanks for the input, however:

My thoughts on Tuning perhaps when I retire my stance will change, but for now I feel these things are best left to the experts.

Going back to the mid 1960s the start of every summer was marked by a visit to the back porch with my old man and his hair clippers in tow. While our town boasted two Barbershops, he felt a summer buzz cut was too easy to waste money on.

I would sit nervously inhaling the 3 and 1 oil the clippers were dripping with. Never a question of if, but when the nick would come to an ear or the back of the neck. With the unfiltered Camel in the corner of his mouth a sorry about that son would follow as the blood slowly dripped.

Clearly you boast more talent than I dare dream of, Im sure I would end up with a rifle sporting many nicks.

Respond to this message   

anonymous

restoring a neglected one

September 12 2009, 1:11 PM 

There something very specal about finding an old german springer and restoring her....I have done many, and then there are rimfires. Life is good when you take an old girl and bring her back from the ruins..
Good luck on your quest.
kindly
ron

Respond to this message   

Chris
(Login chrismel)

all done

September 25 2009, 2:04 AM 

I am not sure if the seller wants to remain anonymous so I will not mention names, but thanks again. It is definitely a keeper.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/79537/message/1253857621/Walther+LG+55+on+a+diet

Respond to this message   

(Login GainesBlackwell)

Chris, Glad you like it, , was not trying to be anonymous....

September 25 2009, 10:13 AM 

just trying to get you a good gun to enjoy shooting, especially with Winter coming. If you have any trouble with it I will make it right. I much prefer the acrylic inserts.

Here is Cris' new, to him, LG 55:

I added a new Anschutz eye cup as the Walther one had split with time.

Gaines

Respond to this message   

(Login rwmcbrien)

removing stock weight

September 28 2009, 3:19 PM 

Chris, beautiful rifle. No way you can go wrong buying a gun from Gaines. Please tell me how to remove the stock weight. I've considered doing it, but didn't know what was involved, and may want to put it back. Do you prefer your gun at the lighter weight?

Respond to this message   

(Login GainesBlackwell)

Robert, getting the weight out of an old Walther varies a good bit.

September 28 2009, 6:14 PM 

Many will fall out with a slight tap of the hand. Others are really quite tight. Later ones have a band of rubber that they sit in making removal easier . If tight I would use a flat screw driver and gently work it out . Do not tap the stock itself on a surface, the grip might split.

BTW, the vast majority are lead but a very few are cast iron, therefore lighter. Somewhere in the LGV productuion they switched to a flat double spring to replace the coil spring.

Lastly a few early LG 55's had no sleeves and therefore are lighter, the barrels were blued nicely and had no threads....just like 51,52, 53 and the elusive 54 barrels.

GB

Respond to this message   
Robert McBrien
(Login rwmcbrien)

removing stock weight

September 30 2009, 10:05 AM 

Gaines, I have had no luck getting the weight out. Prying (carefully) with a screwdriver is denting the stock around the weight and I don't want to do that. I could drill and tap the lead so I would have something to pull on, but I hate to do that for the same reason I don't want to mar the wood.

Respond to this message   

(Login davek98)

hw55s

September 26 2009, 2:39 PM 

i dont have a walther, but i wish i did!
here are my three hw's. my eye's don't allow me to use the match aperture sights anymore so i've been using the beeman sports aperture or blue ribbon scopes.

Respond to this message   

(Login MDriskill)

Dirty little secret...

September 27 2009, 2:07 PM 

...the HW 55 "M" stock is actually my favorite of all! Those are 3 really gorgeous rifles.

Have you ever tried an adjustable iris in a match sight? I think you will find that being able to adjust the opening size is priceless; it's only the tiny aperture in the typical OEM eye disk that limits the utility of diopter sights.

Respond to this message   

(Login chrismel)

too pretty to shoot

September 28 2009, 1:07 AM 

almost... thanks for the photo

Respond to this message   

(Login FourRings)

Great collection and in beautiful shape

September 29 2009, 10:19 AM 

Respond to this message   
dave98k
(Login davek98)

thanks guys. and thanks MDriskill, i'm going to try one from champions choice...nt.

September 29 2009, 9:51 PM 

nt.

Respond to this message   

Chris
(Login chrismel)

Walther LG 55 plinker update…

September 28 2009, 1:05 AM 

Here she is at weigh in, sans scope. Sorry about the low tech scale, but it still works. There is also a picture of all the non-essentials taken off the rifle on the scale.

Accuracy wise the target shows the challenge of three shot groups, especially on regular paper. They were shot indoors at 40 feet. The little dashed blocks are ¼ inch size and one inch is marked at the top in the middle as a reference, and the red circles are ½ inch. The CPL heavies are the worst and the Silver Bears are nice but shoot to a different point of aim. I will try the JSBs, FTS, and H&N match at 45 yards as soon as I can.

Gaines thanks again. I am enjoying it very much.

Chris

Walther after slim fast

Walther extra parts

Walther LG 55 at 40 feet

Photobucket

Photobucket

Respond to this message   

(Login rwmcbrien)

removing stock weight

September 30 2009, 10:09 AM 

I posted this in the wrong place, I guess, and you may not have read it.

Chris, beautiful rifle. No way you can go wrong buying a gun from Gaines. Please tell me how to remove the stock weight. I've considered doing it, but didn't know what was involved, and may want to put it back. Do you prefer your gun at the lighter weight?

Respond to this message   

(Login GainesBlackwell)

Robert, I too , would not want to damage the wood or lead.

September 30 2009, 11:06 AM 

I have not removed a great many but some almost fall out while others seem to have welded themselves in. It could be the rubber strap may have "vulcanized" The weight in. Do not know of an easy method. Frank Korn probably does...thank you for the kind remarks.

Gaines

Respond to this message   

Chris
(Login chrismel)

Robert

September 30 2009, 12:19 PM 

It only took a few taps with my hand and the weight just fell out. A rubber type strap that adds friction is all that helps hold it in place, I would guess it keeps it from rattling too. I have photos that I can post later.

Respond to this message   
Robert McBrien
(Login rwmcbrien)

Re: Robert

September 30 2009, 12:49 PM 

Mine is not going to fall out. The balance must be drastically changed without the weight and sleeve. Do you like it better?

Respond to this message   

(Login chrismel)

just read your post above

September 30 2009, 12:52 PM 

Sorry, did not see that yours was stuck. Maybe spray with WD-40 or Break free.

Sans sights it is only 6.75 lbs, I really like it. I may see if PW will do a shroud for the barrel.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Walther 55 or HW 55 or?
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Start  
This forum dedicated to all that enjoy collecting and restoring airguns. Have fun. Dave