<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Start  

Carnival Type Shooting Gallery Guns

December 13 2010 at 11:20 PM
  (Login KC_Airgnr)

Searching for carnival type shooting gallery rifle from the late 1940's or early 1950's. Searching on line and want ads has not been succesful so I am looking for advice or leads. Possibly some on the Vintage Forum know of collectors who may have or know someone who does. One that I am looking for is BBA (5th edition) page 307 bottom of page "SEMI-AUTOMATIC CARBINE ARCADE GUN".

This message has been edited by KC_Airgnr on Dec 13, 2010 11:25 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login leonardj)

While not the specific gallery gun you mention,.....

December 14 2010, 11:16 AM 

I was fortunate enough to have scored a very nice specimen of an ABT Air-O-Matic just this past Sunday, at a local gun show. It is functional, but in need of minor TLC. I'll eventually post some pics here on the AVA.

Respond to this message   

(Login KC_Airgnr)

ABT

December 14 2010, 4:40 PM 

Fantastic. I do have one ABT rifle which I will attempt to post a pic of tonight also and we can compare. Congratulations on your find. Mostly I run across more recent vintage spring airguns at local gunshows.

Respond to this message   

(Login KC_Airgnr)

My Air O Matic

December 15 2010, 7:59 AM 

Here are pics of the ABT Air-O-Matic rifle that I have. Last patent date reads Apr 5, 1949.

[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]

Respond to this message   

(Login leonardj)

My "knob-type" Air-O-Matic......

December 15 2010, 8:37 PM 

This is the one that the BBOA refers to as the "knob type", whereas your AOM is referred to as the "bolt type". Cool to see both variants, side by side, so to speak.

This one has a mixed bag of screw types - obviously a few holes were stripped, and larger screws substituted. This one also had a crack in the valve body where the wall of the tapped hole for the air hose fitting attaches to the valve. That has been attended to, and the gun is shooting great now, with no leaks.

[linked image]

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
kennyboy
(Login therealkennyboy)

My gallery guns

December 16 2010, 4:40 PM 

An older ABT Rear Loader (2nd variant)
[linked image]

With the action opened.
[linked image]

My ABT Top Loader, "Knob" version (same as leonardj's)
[linked image]

As important as the guns themselves, the ammunition tubes needed to actually shoot the guns!
[linked image]

Actions open, ammo tubes loaded into their respective guns.
[linked image]

A Feltman--yeah baby, full auto!
[linked image]

When you go through ammo as quickly as these do, you need lots of loaders to keep you shooting.
[linked image]

All of them shoot just fine running off my shop compressor at about 125 psi.

Respond to this message   

(Login therealkennyboy)

BTW...

December 16 2010, 4:43 PM 

...there's a MacGlashan Drice on GunBroker right now, although it's a bit pricey for its condition IMO. Then again, you don't see these come around very often.

Respond to this message   
Al
(Login Airgun-Al)

Have you tried the 9th edition of "BBA"?

December 15 2010, 3:49 AM 

Have you tried the 9th edition of Blue Book of Airguns?

Respond to this message   

(Login KC_Airgnr)

BBA 9th

December 15 2010, 7:46 AM 

I don't yet have a copy of BBA anything past 5th. I need to get current for sure. Does the 9th have more pictures and info relating to ABT, Feltman, MacGlashan, and other gallery type guns?

Respond to this message   
Phil
(Login Duane30)

Here's my carnival gun...

December 16 2010, 8:48 PM 

...this one I made. I feel it is way more fun than the Feltmans, MacGlashans (spelling?), etc. In fact, I just sold one on Gun Broker just like it. The G-Broker gun had an adjustable rear sight - the gun pictured has a V-wedge fixed rear sight. You CAN shoot the star out with mine (wink)! Holds 2,000 rounds!
[linked image]

"Well, I thought it was a rabbit but it turned out to be Bear Grylls in a rabbit hide."

[linked image]

Respond to this message   

(Login KC_Airgnr)

Picture of wanted gallery rifle

December 18 2010, 5:25 PM 

Here is a picture of the gallery rifle that I am looking for. Anybody seen one of these or know where one might be for sale?

[linked image]

Respond to this message   

(Login co2air)

the two gallery guns above are MacGlashan

December 20 2010, 3:53 PM 

First and 2nd models 21 caliber . I have both in my collection, along with with the Feltman .30 model Only 3 known to exist. Beeman , Factory and myself have 1 each. Al. frame. Looks like the .30 caliber machine gun with the grips etc. More information on Feltmans can be found in my book Air Machine Guns

Respond to this message   
Nick Carter
(Login cartertools)

ABT Rifle Disassembly + Need Ammo Tube Dimensions

February 25 2011, 2:01 PM 

I posted a 4 part disassembly of the ABT rifle ("bolt type") up on the blog:
http://anotherairgunblog.blogspot.com/2011/02/abt-shooting-gallery-rifle-disassembly.html
http://anotherairgunblog.blogspot.com/2011/02/abt-shooting-gallery-rifle-disassembly_19.html
http://anotherairgunblog.blogspot.com/2011/02/abt-shooting-gallery-rifle-disassembly_20.html
http://anotherairgunblog.blogspot.com/2011/02/abt-shooting-gallery-rifle-disassembly_21.html

I could use the dimensions of the cardboard shot tube (length, inside and outside diameter, any other pertinent features) as well as the diameter of the steel shot. Hope to get this up and shooting once I fix the forearm.
Nick

Nick,
From ruralburbian Philomath.
anotherairgunblog.blogspot.com

Respond to this message   
kennyboy
(Login therealkennyboy)

Ammo Tube info

March 6 2011, 2:38 PM 

Per my post above, there are 2 types.

[linked image]

You need the skinny one (bottom). I only have one tube (have several of the larger ones), so can't provide average dimensions. It is simple rolled-paper construction, like a toiler paper tube, but smoother finish. It needs to be stiff enough that the edges remain straight, as the magazine follower which loads the shot into the internal magazine when you close the 'bolt' is a somewhat tight fit inside the tube--a weak edge will bind up the closing of the bolt. In reality, the tube should be sized to the available ammo, to hold it just snugly enough that the shot doesn't fall out during normal handling, and yet loose enough that the follower can push all of the shot out as the bolt is closed. It needs to be thick enough to fit snugly inside the chute, so as to center itself just right to allow the follower to enter cleanly. The tube is purely a carrier: when shooting, the follower is completely through the tube, i.e. the tube is emptied before any shooting is begun (think Plainsman shotshell).

Length 3.739 inches
OD 0.205 (basically, a just-snug fit inside the chute)
Wall Thickness .014 (hard to measure with my cheapo plastic calipers)
Shot Size: .173 cal, per the Blue Book, but I have used lead shot in BB size (nominally .180) successfully. Not sure what size shot .173 equates to.

Note: The shot in the tube you see in some of the other pics are .185 chrome steel ball bearings I pulled out of a heavy duty cabinet slide, and are only for maintaining the shape of the tube (they happen to fit in the tube nice and snug). I would never shoot these through the rifle.

Respond to this message   

(Login Airgunnery)

ABT ammo tubes

March 28 2011, 12:01 AM 

My first time on this forum. I'm new to the hobby. Only been collecting for about a year. Just bought an ABT gallery gun, the knob type, that takes the smaller paper tubes of ammo. Going to get it back up and running. I also got some tubes of ammo with it. More than I need. Does anyone know if there is a market for these things. Any advice would be welcome.

[linked image] [linked image]

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Carnival Type Shooting Gallery Guns
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Start  
This forum dedicated to all that enjoy collecting and restoring airguns. Have fun. Dave