<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Start  

Crosman 102 CG

May 1 2012 at 11:38 AM
  (Login shootmore)

Just wondered if any of you crosman collectors has a CG 102 that takes the removable magazines. I picked one up a few weeks ago and thought I would see if anyone else had one. This one needs seals, but appears to be all there.
Here is a picture of the hammer with a cocking assist metal strap attached.
Any ideas on how many of these were made?

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Trevor
(Login tca)

The cocking aid is interesting

May 1 2012, 4:39 PM 

I've seen several Crosmans,Kesslers, etc, with holes in the knob to accommodate a cocking bar or loop. Seems the diabolo shape knob of Crosman was the best designed knob.....

Respond to this message   

(Login shootmore)

removable pellet magazines

May 5 2012, 3:19 PM 

I found some brass tubing that would work and made up a couple of spare pellet magazines. This is the first repeater CG I have seen.

Respond to this message   
DT Fletcher
(Login DTFletcher)

CG cocking aid

May 7 2012, 7:15 PM 

This is the first time I've seen the cocking ring but it doesn't surprise me. I have a CG that has a number of extras designed to make it easier to load. Crosman's president at the time, Phil Hahn, was very interested in making air guns more accessible to all users, which was one of his reasons for going ahead with CO2 in the first place. There is a Crosman picture of a policeman helping a small, disabled boy in wheelchair shooting a model 150.

The 102CG with the removable magazine, was intended only for shooting galleries. About all it would take is for somebody to have problems cocking the gun and Crosman would have considered a way to help. The diablo style cocking knob, which didn't appear until 1949, was the ultimate response.

Respond to this message   

(Login shootmore)

Hi Dean

May 7 2012, 8:49 PM 

Would love to see some pictures of that CG.

Respond to this message   
DT Fletcher
(Login DTFletcher)

Second look

May 8 2012, 3:40 AM 

Taking another look at this cocking ring, my thought was, "Who would really benefit from such a modification?" The answer came pretty quick: somebody with a mechanical hook hand. I lived in San Diego as a kid and there were a lot of ex-servicemen with hook hands. I'm sure that the same would have been true in Rochester, after the war. So, I suspect that this modification was specifically made for that usage: service vets with hook hands.

Is there any evidence of wear on the inside of the ring? If so, that would go a long ways to confirm this.

Respond to this message   

(Login DTFletcher)

One more addition

May 8 2012, 3:50 AM 

Can't recall if I ever wrote about it, but I do recall either reading or hearing a story, about how Crosman was supplying CO2 shooting outfits to veteran hospitals for rehab purposes. Such ideas was one of the hallmarks of PY Hahn. In his own way, he was answering the question of, "Why bother with CO2. Boys have been pumping their air guns forever, without complaint." It would be just like Hahn to think of helping out disabled vets who would have fun and get rehab at the same time and it would, in a very effective way, answer the CO2 skeptics.

Respond to this message   

(Login shootmore)

makes sense

May 8 2012, 9:07 AM 

I'll take a close look at the inside of the cocking ring, but I don't recall it being scarred up. The ring looks to be factory installed. There is also a set screw on the hammer to keep it from rotating. Thanks for your input. I have 3 of your books and have enjoyed them very much!

Respond to this message   

airgunandy
(Login airgunandy)

cocking assist

May 8 2012, 8:32 AM 

That looks like something I'd like to see on my conventional 102. After a time of shooting, pulling the knob gets to be more painful than pumping the rifle!

I plink, therefore I am.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Crosman 102 CG
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Start  
This forum dedicated to all that enjoy collecting and restoring airguns. Have fun. Dave