<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Start  

Starting my collecting at the bottom or should I say most basic 55......

June 3 2012 at 2:08 PM

Art Keys  (Login bigwhack416remingtonmagnum)

I wanted to share some pics because everyone loves a good classic..

[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]

Internals:
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]

Have a new leather seal assembly coming. going to polish and deburr again. It's going to have to be buttoned to eliminate some of the galling along the top rear lip on cocking.

Anyway just thought some here might like to see these.

Take care, Art

From time to time Everyone should squish some mudd between their toe's!!!!!!

This message has been edited by bigwhack416remingtonmagnum on Jun 3, 2012 2:21 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Robert
(Login airwimp)

It's a beauty..

June 3 2012, 3:00 PM 

Art you have a wonderful looking 55s, the Walnut Stock makes these guns even better.

I am currently doing some maintenance with mine, could you please tell me which spring you have pictured there, and what kind of velocity if known? Also perhaps the wire diameter.

Thanks in advance.

Robert

Respond to this message   

Art Keys
(Login bigwhack416remingtonmagnum)

Hi Robert,....

June 3 2012, 3:31 PM 

Ok I measured the wire at 6 different locations and at two 90 opposed loci on the 6 different coils. The average was .111 with one or two spots going .113 dia. The spring I think is still good and the guides are really really well done. I got 7 inches and 1/8th on the main spring length. The coil count is 28 coils and the ends. If I recall correctly it ran .505 O.D. main spring. With the seal leading edge turning in due to age I only get one good shot from lube. It runs around 585, then falls to 500. I only did it the two shots. The second firing almost 100 fps slower told me everything I needed to know. So right now I have her lubed up correctly and in ready to go for looks. Waiting on Chambers to send the seal and then I will old school button and see what this main spring and guides will do with a proper seal. I'm hoping for the best but prepared to sink huge money into really making her better. This rifle, has seen alot of ad hoc work and been pretty abused. This old bit of beech has some great character in it. I think it is in original shape. I'm not finding proud screw or seats. Finger grove edges are pretty sharp. Underside, checkering looks like it should, being smoothed over by millions of thumb applications and hand abrasion. The mating of the butpad to stock is seamless. no proud condition. I'm a neophyte to these rifles. I apologize if I use the wrong terminology for parts.

I do not know who did the custom guides or seal. They probably did the spring as well. Hopefully someone will chime in as to the i.d. of the person who did the internal work.

I'll do my part in getting good quality internals but I'm afraid the true smithing she needs will have to be done by Paul.

This message has been edited by bigwhack416remingtonmagnum on Jun 3, 2012 3:56 PM

Respond to this message   
(Login HW3)

June 3 2012, 5:09 PM 

This message has been edited by HW3 on Sep 18, 2012 6:44 AM

Respond to this message   

Art Keys

Hi Heywood,... Thanks very much for the help. I will need it.

June 3 2012, 6:38 PM 

The HW77 came out great. Believe it or not I talked to Randy Brimrose about my temporary fix method and he said that he would have fixed it that way too due to having not the retro upgrade parts. It has held now for three tins of pellets. Anyway, thank you for offering your knowledge, I will be needing it. Do you think there's anything wrong with taking off the match diopter in favor of the field rear sight. I really like it with the fields.

Respond to this message   

Frakor
(Login rokarf)

Using this type of .......

June 3 2012, 5:57 PM 

piston seal ,you loose some compression space in the compression chamber.
It is not very much, but it does matter ...............

Why not go for the original Weihrauch adapter and seal ??

---------------------
Frank

Respond to this message   

Art Keys

Hi Frank,...

June 3 2012, 6:31 PM 

Well to tell the truth I did not know that Weihrauch made a synthetic adapter system. I have seen and heard of J. Maccari selling a synthetic adapter, and see that Vortek has a system too. I will look into this and if I find that Chambers order cannot be filled I might have to go this route. Call me a stick in the mud but I have my hart on putting in a leather seal: trying to be as authentic as possible. I have taken the match diopter sight off and put on a rear "field sight". If this was to be the utilitarian model, German thinking would dictate a "field sight" on this model not a Match diopter from the factory, right? To be honest. I like it much better with just the field sights.

Respond to this message   

Frakor
(Login rokarf)

well ......................

June 3 2012, 7:16 PM 

you say "trying to be as authentic as possible" means you REMOVE the diopter that came with the gun? happy.gif

I can understand WHY you want to replace it with a "normal" rearsight ,as I don't like using a diopter outdoors either.

Iff you want to replace the piston seal with a leather one, like it used to be ,I would use a (old style) Diana leather seal. or make one myself.
For the insert I would use a fiber one ,just like a Diana or Haenel ...

------------------
Frank

Respond to this message   

Art Keys

See this is a perfect example of my missing knowledge,....

June 3 2012, 8:00 PM 

I always thought the Diopters were purchased separately from the rifles, but then all shipped together. I have never really seen a Weihrauch catalog from the period just the odd scan posted here and there. I always imagined that the catalog was kind of like FWB or Anschutz. Just listing the item numbers of the item you wanted to order. I don't know yet if the Chambers leather seal unit, charged to my account even really exist yet. I guess I'll hear yay or neh Monday when they get it ready to ship.

Best to everyone.

Respond to this message   
jim in SoCal
(Login jz2)

maccari synthetic seal adapter for hw55

June 3 2012, 10:21 PM 

i checked with them, they have none in stock and stock and stopped making them due to limited demand.

Respond to this message   
Bob Mc
(Login McEowen)

Pyramyd has them . . .

June 3 2012, 10:29 PM 

This message has been edited by McEowen on Jun 3, 2012 10:32 PM

Respond to this message   

Frakor
(Login rokarf)

Weihrauch Catalog

June 4 2012, 4:53 AM 

Telling by the serial number of your rifle ,it was made in 1965.

This is a page of a (rare Dutch)1980's catalog ,the only difference is the model name ("SM" instead of "S").

[IMG][linked image][/IMG]

--------------------------
Frank

Respond to this message   

Art Keys

Frank, Thank You for the Weihrauch scan,......

June 4 2012, 12:59 PM 

I get it now. The 55s is like the Walther LGR basic match rifle. I had the misunderstanding that it was a "field rifle" with the option to put on a match diopter. Oh well egg on my face. I'm still going to keep it with out the diopter on it. I like simple, and this way it's perfect for birdseed defense at my 15yd mark.

Take cake Frank and again thanks.

This message has been edited by bigwhack416remingtonmagnum on Jun 4, 2012 12:59 PM

Respond to this message   
(Login HW3)

June 4 2012, 8:23 AM 

This message has been edited by HW3 on Sep 18, 2012 6:45 AM

Respond to this message   
Bob Mc
(Login McEowen)

Can someone discuss honing the cylinder?

June 4 2012, 8:41 AM 

I'm in a similar boat . . . facing one, and probably two, HW55 rebuilds. I, too, have leather seals on order from Chambers, but am prepared for them not being available. I already have seals and adapters but I haven't gone that route due to the "need" to score the cylinder wall.

Can somebody provide some guidance for preparing the cylinder for a synthetic seal?

Respond to this message   

robert burton
(Login tweedledede)

Re: Can someone discuss honing the cylinder?

June 18 2012, 6:22 PM 

t a leather seal from P.A. and it has a delron cup with the screw included . it fit just like the original . i was told to change to a synthetic seal but wanted to keep mine original . and if a leather seal lasted since 1969 well im goin back with leather for that reason . i figure it wasnt a high power spring gun but a very accurate gun and easy shooting , cocking so i left it alone . mine has a slick shiny chamber bore and honeing destroys that . when i got mine back togather it was as good as it ever was . nice gun in those photos and i liked the litature .

Respond to this message   
MDriskill
(Login MDriskill)

synthetic seals in old guns

June 20 2012, 9:18 PM 

OK I will start by saying I am not a gifted airgun mechanic, and this is probably heresy. But I've installed several synthetic seals in older guns with no honing or any other metal work, and they function just fine. This includes an HW 55 I did for a friend that has seen many thousands of rounds. I'm sure the vast majority of those adapter/plastic seal kits for the oldster get installed without honing.

I do find it is important to correctly size the seal to the cylinder. Often they need to be sanded down just a bit, which you can do on a lathe or even by careful hand sanding.

If you do a search, Jim in PGH, who is a genius at simple-but-effective ways to do things, has posted some good info here on honing techniques. Nick Carter's blog--accessible via the fly-out links on this very page--is another resource that you can spend many days learning from. Nick's talents extend beyond airgun work to superb writing and photography.

Respond to this message   
Bob Mc
(Login McEowen)

The honing question is now moot . . .

June 20 2012, 11:23 PM 

at least as far as I'm concerned. I learned how to make leather seals (see the other thread).

Also, I've gotten some good advice on roughing up the cylinder wall, should I ever need to do so.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Start  
This forum dedicated to all that enjoy collecting and restoring airguns. Have fun. Dave