<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Start  

Trash can Sheridan in need of TLC

July 29 2012 at 1:35 AM
JohnL57  (Login JohnL57)

Hi, all, looks like the trash can Sheridan has come to me after all. Pumps and shoots, but doesn't hold for long, so I guess it needs a reseal. I've never torn down a pumper, so any advice would be valuable. I'm thinking a reseal kit might be available from Bryant& associates? Do I need any special tools? In addition to the sawed off buttstock, it has a broken front sight. Any tips on fixing it? Maybe I could JB weld a piece on.
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
I shot a fairly tight group with it, so it seems the barrel is OK, otherwise I wouldn't go any further. Thanks,
John

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login VPilot)

Some help hopefully

July 29 2012, 2:44 AM 

Respond to this message   
JohnL57
(Login JohnL57)

Thanks, Tim, looks like exactly what I needed! nt

July 30 2012, 10:00 AM 

Respond to this message   
Jon B.
(Login eeler1)

Aim low?

July 29 2012, 1:20 PM 

Sometimes, people would file down the front site as a gun lost power over the years, ignorant of reseal and restoring to original power. Those front sites are soldered in place, so can be replaced but only by extraordinary efforts. I'm thinking maybe a piece that slides over the existing with set screws to hold it in place? And that only if there is a problem for you. Other option is to elevate the rear site somehow.

Pacific Airgun Expo
email: pae@pacificairgunexpo.com

Respond to this message   

(Login VPilot)

July 29 2012, 2:08 PM 

Misread that.... nevermind.

Tim
VPilot

Respond to this message   

(Login lhd)

Elevating the rear sight would exacerbate the issue

August 1 2012, 3:21 PM 

Since the front sight is already too low, making it shoot high, raising the rear, which ALSO raises impact point is no good.

Its not very difficult to file that sight stub flat and solder a filed down American penny, or even better one of the foreign coins made of yellowish brass to fit, then solder it on and paint it black. the most important thing is to get the joint line perfectly clean and even on both parts.

A small propane torch and some solder does it fine ... don't spend a ton of time and heat, as the sight base itself is "silver soldered" on as well, so if you overheat, the silver solder may begin to melt (normal solder melts at a lower temp than the type of silver solder we are looking at.

Respond to this message   
JohnL57
(Login JohnL57)

Thanks for the info-wasn't sure I should solder near the sight.

August 3 2012, 10:14 PM 

I have a stained glass electric soldering iron which should work.
John

Respond to this message   
Steve
(Login stev60)

front sight

July 29 2012, 3:22 PM 

The front sight would not be to much problem, cut the broken edge straight, cut a bit of brass/bronze roughly to shape of missing bit can be welded on with easy flo or similar welding rod, the finish it of with file sandpaper etc.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Trash can Sheridan in need of TLC
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Start  
This forum dedicated to all that enjoy collecting and restoring airguns. Have fun. Dave