<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Start  

dry fire hw 35

August 16 2012 at 7:31 PM
jim in SoCal  (Login jz2)

My son, who is pcp and co2 savvy inadvertently cocked and fired my hw 35 without pellet. He now knows to never do that with a spring gun. I have not had a chance to examine the rifle - any chance there is permanent damage? Anything I should do before shooting again?

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

RedFeather
(Login RedFeather)

Don't blame him

August 17 2012, 12:17 AM 

I was shooting the other night and felt something hit my lap while seated. Didn't think anything of it until "Pow!" and no whack on the target. Pellet fell out of the darned breech. (They were pretty loose fitting in a couple of guns.) Once shouldn't hurt your rifle but, if it did, well, I guess the easiest way to find out is shoot a pellet. He only did it once, correct?

Respond to this message   
Jim in SoCal
(Login jz2)

Once or twice

August 17 2012, 1:57 AM 

He's dry fired the co2 and pcp guns and didn't realize they are all the same. And my fault that we never talked through proper handling of springers.

I'll give it a good look then test fire. See how it does.

Respond to this message   
Shaun
(Login metromoppet)

Don't worry be happy

August 17 2012, 3:55 AM 

When I was 12 I ran short of pellets one school holiday and living in the back of beyond had no chance to replace them.Spent the rest of that time aiming at the local wildlife and dry firing the 35 I was using.Hell I must have nearly killed 30 or more Impala,Kudu Thomsons and the like.Anyway More than 18 years later,I stripped her,found nothing out of the ordinary.I never did and still have not told my big brother(his baby,not mine)!
These things are not that fragile.

Respond to this message   

(Login MDriskill)

Dry fire

August 17 2012, 6:36 AM 

It certainly isn't something you want to make a habit of, but most springers are sufficiently over-designed that a single dry-fire won't cause trauma. Humans being human...and most airgun owners not being forum readers...otherwise the planet would be foot-deep with non-working spring-piston guns.

And remember the hefty old 35 was once the basis of an interesting beast called the Barakuda, which had an added mechanism for injecting ether gas into the compression chamber. This boosted power by creating a massive diesel explosion on every shot...! (Trivia: I suspect HW's massive synthetic breech seal was originally developed for this gun...and the super-heavy H&N Barakuda pellet--still with us today--was first made because these nutty guns blew the heads off ordinary pellets!)

So, I'm thinking a stout German short-stroker designed for that, would just give a haughty off-hand chuckle at the occasional dry fire with plain air...

happy.gif

Respond to this message   
Jim in SoCal
(Login jz2)

examined and nothing seems amiss.

August 17 2012, 10:13 PM 

I was in for knee surgery so may not get the chance to fire with a pellet for a few days.
I wish my son would shoot more. he has great basic skills and with little practice is as accurate as me. but ft and silhouette matches bore him. they take to long. so goes the instant gratification generation.

Respond to this message   

(Login HW3)

August 17 2012, 11:04 PM 

Respond to this message   
Jim in SoCal
(Login jz2)

No Gamos in my house

August 18 2012, 6:11 PM 

Not that there is anything wrong with them. He shoots with the best equipment. fly fishes with some pricey bamboo fly rods. I am a "this was made to be used" guy, not a collector. That said, I own one fly rod of the unobtanium variety and no air rifles in that category so not much chance of damaging an unreplacable item.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - dry fire hw 35
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Start  
This forum dedicated to all that enjoy collecting and restoring airguns. Have fun. Dave