<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Start  

Nice Benjamin 312, .22 '1954'

November 14 2012 at 4:41 PM

Andrew  (Login AndrewR7)

I recently bought this very nice Benji 312, has original receipt taped to the box with the date, fed the stock, oiled all pivot points, metal etc and she's as close to new as possible, surprisingly small gun but has a very solid feel and a nice grain to the walnut.
Andrew

[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Andy
(Login airgunandy)

Very Nice

November 14 2012, 5:13 PM 

January of '54. Perhaps someone spent their Christmas gift money on it?

Wish I could buy as nice a gun brand new for $20 today!

I plink, therefore I am.

Respond to this message   

ejwills
(Login oldwizzer)

Real nice!

November 14 2012, 6:03 PM 

You have yourself a real winner.

Ejwills.

Sometimes silence is golden,sometimes it's not.

Respond to this message   

Bill S.
(Login tripleguy)

Turned down, one piece bolt handle

November 14 2012, 7:42 PM 

That gun has to be one of the first years for the turn down, one piece bolt handle. I'm not 100% sure of when they changed from a 2-piece, straight handled bolt but I thought it was late 40s, early 50s. Since the gun was purchased in January, it was made some time in 1952. I'm assuming that's right around the time for that change. Very nice example of that style gun.

"but I'll be needin' that gun, fer squirrels and such."

Respond to this message   
FourRings
(Login FourRings)

That is so nice! What a great find.

November 14 2012, 8:09 PM 

One of these days, I'm going to have to track one down in that condition. Absolutely spectacular. Congrats!

Respond to this message   

dave
(Login arathol1)

just curious and have to ask

November 14 2012, 9:55 PM 

Whats the serial number on that gun? May not be as old as you think..............

[linked image]
[linked image]

Respond to this message   

Andrew
(Login AndrewR7)

Re: just curious and have to ask

November 14 2012, 10:27 PM 

serial number: F238767

Respond to this message   

dave
(Login arathol1)

are you sure

November 14 2012, 10:57 PM 

its an F not an H ? The 312 numbers had an H prefix, not F. Anyhow, H238767 would be 1963. Also, That rear sight was not available until 1959 or so.

[linked image]
[linked image]

Respond to this message   

Andrew
(Login AndrewR7)

Re: are you sure

November 14 2012, 11:20 PM 

Hmm, I'm at work now and have it on my paperwork when I get home tonight I'll check.
Thanks Dave for pointing that out.

Respond to this message   
Joel S.
(Login blademan149)

Serial nos on 312s

November 15 2012, 1:16 AM 

The chart indicates 1957 was when serial numbers began being issued but I thought I once read there were earlier serial numbers. Sure does look like an F in his photo! Maybe Dean can explain this.

Respond to this message   

Andrew
(Login AndrewR7)

Definitely an F prefix

November 15 2012, 1:22 AM 

Respond to this message   
johnny366
(Login johnny366)

have to agree with dave

November 15 2012, 1:48 AM 

first off that's a beautiful 312, but it's not a 1954. i think you'll find one made in 54 had a v notch rear site only adjustable for windage. i'm not sure on this one as i am the rear site, but i'm also thinking they had a straight 2 piece bolt. also the only designation i ever saw in front of the serial number was an H. with that rear site, and bolt, i would guess this to be an early 60's gun. still an absolutely beautiful gun.

Respond to this message   
Joel S.
(Login blademan149)

Factory Error?

November 15 2012, 8:50 AM 

I may be way off here but wasn't there another model that began with an F serial no? Like maybe model 3100? Could this be a factory error?

Respond to this message   

dave
(Login arathol1)

maybe, maybe not

November 15 2012, 6:12 PM 

As you say, the 3100 rifle had numbers prefixed with an F. Maybe just luck of the draw with both models made side by side and an F stamped tube got used on a 312. I have a 3120 with a T prefix. The T was used on the 340 series rifles.

[linked image]
[linked image]

Respond to this message   
Joel S
(Login blademan149)

November 15 2012, 6:41 PM 

But was Benjamin even using serial numbers in 1954?

Respond to this message   

ejwills
(Login oldwizzer)

Model 312

November 15 2012, 3:08 PM 

The price is right for the date.I never really took notice but some of the 312's seem to have the front sight further towards the front of the barrel and some further back? I wonder if this would help in determining the date. Dean's book only shows serial numbers starting with an H.
I guess Dean will have to come up with the answer.

Ejwills.

Sometimes silence is golden,sometimes it's not.

This message has been edited by oldwizzer on Nov 15, 2012 5:12 PM

Respond to this message   
Barry Delong
(Login OldBen)

Re: Model 312

November 15 2012, 6:43 PM 

Only weeks ago, I traded a decent Model 310 with another lurker on this Forum. I considered it early post-war, based on the one-piece bolt and the four screws in the corncob, rather than the roll-pins. The serial on the left side was B-8000. Where does the "B" fit in this picture?

Barry in Tennessee

Respond to this message   

Bill S.
(Login tripleguy)

Strange bits for sure

November 15 2012, 8:24 PM 

First off, it's a very nice gun. But something is a bit off and given the stated age, the bolt caught my eye. I have here, a late 40s, early 50s model 310. No serial number on this gun. 2-piece, straight bolt. Front sight set back from the end of the barrel. Rear sight is not adjustable for elevation. Screws for affixing the corn cob handle. I also have a 1968 model 312 with a Bar-O sight. Turn-down, one piece bolt. Front sight is at the end of the barrel. Stock is different - comb isn't straight.

[linked image]

[linked image]

"but I'll be needin' that gun, fer squirrels and such."

This message has been edited by tripleguy on Nov 15, 2012 8:27 PM

Respond to this message   
Joel S
(Login blademan149)

Contradictory Evidence

November 15 2012, 9:02 PM 

This is really odd. The insert in the box in the photo mentions several models, including the 3100 and 3120. According to the Crosman statistics, those models weren't even released until 1958. How could the packaging of a 1954 model make reference to models that weren't released until 4 years later?

http://www.crosman.com/cs/dates-benjamin

This message has been edited by blademan149 on Nov 15, 2012 9:04 PM

Respond to this message   

dave
(Login arathol1)

not really odd

November 15 2012, 9:54 PM 

A nice 60s vintage 312 possibly in its original box. Everything is okay except the receipt which clearly does not fit in. Lose that receipt and its all good.

[linked image]
[linked image]

Respond to this message   

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Start  
This forum dedicated to all that enjoy collecting and restoring airguns. Have fun. Dave