<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Start  

Crosman 108 Town & Country

February 9 2016 at 4:20 PM

Terry M  (Login sotol)
Group #188948

There was a 108 for sale on an online auction last week, I will have it in a few days. I think I got a pretty good deal. Surface rust on the steel parts and it needs seals. The price was right, so I jumped on it. I am gathering all the information I can on this gun. I have resealed several old Crosmans and from what I have read so far, this one should be a pretty straightforward job. I would like to hear from anyone who has worked on one of these. Can't wait to get it in my hands, I think it will be the gem of my Crosman collection.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
DT Fletcher
(Login DTFletcher)
Group #188948

Re: Crosman 108 Town & Country

February 10 2016, 7:44 AM 

All the innards the same as 105/106, 109/110, 111-118, 120

There's a tendency for the bolt handle to fly up when shot. I put a dab of super heavy grease (some sort of spring goo) on the bolt end and the handle was then "on glide" and wouldn't budge when shot.

My first vintage airgun purchase was, entirely by chance, a model 107. It was in great overall condition but the finish was flakey so I stripped it down to the brass and polished it using Flitz polish (the only polish to use, since it will not tarnish with time) Of course, doing this today would be a sin but I didn't know what it was that I had and frankly didn't care. That 107 was one of the best shooting guns I've ever owned. But, overall, I think the entire 105-120 series are as a group great shooters.

Be sure to post some pictures when it arrives. Include all markings. It's possible sometimes to tell the difference between a Rochester and a later Fairport made gun. Can also tell if it ever went back to the factory for repair. These old Crosmans often have a story to tell.

Respond to this message   

Terry M
(Login sotol)
Group #188948

Here it is...

February 18 2016, 9:31 PM 

The gun looks to be in good shape, even the factory finish on wood and metal. Has a roll pin in the front pivot, I don't think that is original. Ditto the rear sight bridge screw. No markings on the receiver, only Crosman mark is on the butt plate. Stock has two matching numbers, "645" inside the pump arm cut.

I plan to gently clean the rusted steel parts and try and shine up the dull areas on the wood. If it shoots as well as my 110 after getting new seals I will be more than happy with it.

Crosman 108 Town & Country photo IMG_0118 - Copy_zpsg3qvn0a7.jpg

Crosman 108 Right Breech photo IMG_0122 - Copy_zps1wwt1c0x.jpg

Crosman 108 Left Breech photo IMG_0112 - Copy_zpsqhjfkli2.jpg

Crosman 108 Muzzle photo IMG_0126 - Copy_zpscd64ydbx.jpg

Crosman 108 Butt Plate photo IMG_0127 - Copy_zpsstrozddx.jpg

Respond to this message   
Bob in WV
(Login duhuh)
Group #188948

Looks like a fine old gun, nice find!

February 19 2016, 10:10 AM 

Let us know how it shoots when you get the old girl back up and running.

Bob in WV
Never get in a hurry, it only slows you down.

Respond to this message   
DT Fletcher
(Login DTFletcher)
Group #188948

Re: Here it is...

February 19 2016, 8:58 PM 

Looks like a 1949 gun. Be very careful with that buttplate. These are easily and often cracked and damaged from setting them down on a hard surface.

You are right, the roll pin and sight screw are wrong. The originals had a two piece pump pivot made from brass with a screw. Screw easily came loose and ended up damaged. Very difficult to find original replacements.

The original sight screw was a large head knurled type that you might be able to find with some effort. Same screw was used on the 1949 101/100 models.

Overall great shape.

Are you aware of the dual sight system? Loosen the front sight nut and back off the sight which then is rotated out of the way to use the lower front sight with the peep. Pretty neat system and unique to this model, as I recall.

Respond to this message   

Garvin
(Premier Login Garvin2)
Group #188948

Nice looking rifle.

February 21 2016, 11:01 AM 

Lovely solid all-metal quality.

Two questions, Terry. What is the screw-in piece and knurled locking ring at the muzzle? And may I re-use your pics in my vintage gallery, please?

happy.gif
"\"\""

Respond to this message   
Don R.
(Login oldair)
Group #188948

Town & Country sights...

February 21 2016, 11:27 AM 

Danny, see Dean's post above for description of the dual front sight. Also if you look closely at the rear sight you'll see it's a combi open / peep affair - hence for "town" shooting you might use the peep with the high front sight to punch paper, and in the "country" the open rear with low front blade to hunt critters.

Respond to this message   

Garvin
(Premier Login Garvin2)
Group #188948

Thanks Don.

February 21 2016, 11:45 AM 

I didn't read Dean's post properly and thought he was referring to the rear sight. So that's what 'town and country' means. Very ingenious!

happy.gif
"\"\""

Respond to this message   

Ejwills
(Login oldwizzer)
Group #188948

Crosman

February 21 2016, 11:08 AM 

I sold this Crosman 107 in March/2015 to one of the forum members.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/426026/message/1426033751/FS-+Crosman+107+Town+%26amp%3B+Country-+reduced+to+%24300

Ejwills.

Respond to this message   

Craig
(Login Craig3R)
Group #188948

Very nice classic!

February 23 2016, 9:42 PM 

I can appreciate that rifle. Very classy. For my part, the closest I have is a "kissin-cousin", 120 with brass barrel.

Respond to this message   

sotol
(Login sotol)
Group #188948

Disassembled

February 28 2016, 8:12 PM 

photo IMG_0143 - Copy_zps11tbfwhm.jpg

Respond to this message   
DT Fletcher
(Login DTFletcher)
Group #188948

Re: Disassembled

February 28 2016, 10:32 PM 

Has the small check and exhaust valves. The larger valves from the 111-120 guns fit just fine and work better.

Respond to this message   
DT Fletcher
(Login DTFletcher)
Group #188948

February 29 2016, 11:33 PM 

Also, just in case you didn't already know, the valves themselves are easy to take apart by unscrewing the stem; in a clear case of "they don't make them like they used to."

Respond to this message   
DT Fletcher
(Login DTFletcher)
Group #188948

March 1 2016, 8:56 AM 

See page 2.3 for the valve part numbers to use for acquiring new parts for your 108. http://stevespages.com/pdf/crosman_factory_service_manual_all.pdf

These larger "valve nuts" (105-8) are superior to the original small valve nuts seen in your 1949 gun.

Most shops that carry these parts use the 121-7 nomenclature for the valve washers. Some shops have both a hard and a soft version. Hard is for higher velocity performance and the soft are better for holding air.

Respond to this message   

Terry M
(Login sotol)
Group #188948

Thanks for the information

March 8 2016, 7:30 PM 

The seals I got are replacements for the small type so I guess I'll go with them. Going to reassemble tonight.

Respond to this message   
DT Fletcher
(Login DTFletcher)
Group #188948

Re: Thanks for the information

March 9 2016, 8:24 AM 

If they don't work, simple switch over to the large version which are completely interchangeable.

Respond to this message   

Terry M
(Login sotol)
Group #188948

It Shoots!

March 9 2016, 10:01 PM 

Got the gun reassembled last night, finally. Got a replacement sight bridge screw, installed a facsimile butt plate to save the original one wear and tear. I was concerned with the barrel. At first I thought the grooves in the bore were very dirty. After cleaning and cleaning and scrubbing and cleaning, they still looked fouled. I finally managed to look down the first couple of inches with a magnifier and didn't like what I saw at all. It looks like the tool the cut the grooves "chattered" and cut roughly and at uneven depth. I was bummed. I was sure the gun couldn't shoot worth a darn with a bore like that. I took it out this evening to try it out, expecting the worst. Man, was I surprised. I shot several 5 shot, 20 yard groups under one inch. Some were under 3/4 inch, that's about as good as I can do without optics.

This gun doesn't shoot nearly as hard as my 110. I was getting around 500 fps with JSB 13.4s and 6 pumps. That's about equal to my 101. 8 pumps brings the velocity up to around 550. I may try reducing the valve volume some way to see if I can give it a power boost. Overall, I am pretty pleased with it. Especially since I was expecting lousy accuracy from the barrel.

photo IMG_0135_zps0rnegbyt.jpg

Respond to this message   

Terry M
(Login sotol)
Group #188948

Couldn't resist... purists, beware!

March 11 2016, 2:41 PM 

Clamped on a period-correct (or very nearly so) Weaver J4. I can put the peep back on any time, I just have to see what a gun will do with optics. Nearly all my guns wear a scope, at some point.

photo IMG_0161 - Copy_zpsvfbmpjcr.jpg

Respond to this message   
DT Fletcher
(Login DTFletcher)
Group #188948

Re: Couldn't resist... purists, beware!

March 11 2016, 8:41 PM 

Ain't that rare. Ignore the purists. Make it your own.

Respond to this message   
James V.
(Login kimo57)
Group #188948

Their was another 108 on GB last night.

March 12 2016, 8:36 AM 

Their was another 108 on GB last night. This one had a safety.
Your stock should not be made of only walnut.

Respond to this message   

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Start  
Find more forums on Air GunsCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
This forum dedicated to all that enjoy collecting and restoring airguns. Have fun. Dave