<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Start  

Crosman 118 Magazine Cover questions

May 17 2017 at 4:39 PM
Mark  (Login Brimfield)
Group #188948

Trying to bring a 118 back to life. One of the several missing parts was the magazine cover, but I was lucky to get a reproduction.

What holds it in place? When the gun arrived, the outer wall was distorted in two places:

[linked image]

I straightened them out, but I wonder if it should be a friction tight fit, and that's what keeps the cover secure.

Or is the curved part that fits over the hinge rod supposed to be tighter?:

[linked image]

Also, the cover has two locations for the sight. The literature shows the sight in the rearward position. Is the front position just an alternate location, or was there another sight?

[linked image]

Thank you.

This message has been edited by Brimfield on May 18, 2017 8:42 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Terry M
(Login sotol)
Group #188948

Looks like it was dropped

May 17 2017, 9:19 PM 

Pretty bad ding on the receiver. The cover is held in place by friction and works well. The top piece fits snugly, not over tight. I have had mine on and off many times as my gun was prone to jamming when I first got it. The 118 is a marvel.

Respond to this message   
DT Fletcher
(Login DTFletcher)
Group #188948

Re: Crosman 118 Magazine Cover questions

May 18 2017, 1:18 AM 

Hook it on the leading edge rod and it pops right on with a little force. Another Rudy Merz design. He understood that it was going to be necessary for the shooter to remove the cover, so, he designed one that is tool-less. Adjustment is achieved by slightly bending it as needed, although can't recall ever having to do this, but, with a repo part it might be.

Parts for the 118 have always been essentially impossible to find. Never saw a single 118 part in any Crosman repair station.

Good luck on the rebuild. Great gun.

Respond to this message   
Mark
(Login Brimfield)
Group #188948

Really like this gun

June 2 2017, 8:08 PM 

Thank you for the replies.

Things are going well. With trial and error I think the fit for the cover is pretty good. The reseal kit I had on hand for my 114 took care of the filling head and exhaust valve leaks. All the old rubber parts were hard as a rock and brittle. I wonder if this was ever resealed.

I have the power set low while I'm getting things sorted and it still hits quite hard.

I still haven't found the pellet that won't jam. RWS Hobbies and Meisterkugelns seem to be good for 8 out of 10, or 9 out of 10. I often get a jam on the last pellet, and I wonder if it's turning sideways because of the plunger in the reproduction magazine. Has anyone done any modifications to help with that last pellet? Does anyone lubricate their pellets for the 118?

I'll buy a variety of wadcutters next time I'm ordering and see what works.

It's well down the road, but I wonder if there are ideas to make the brass just a little more black, and the magazine cover and magazine look a little less new.

[linked image]

I'm talking just a few percent in each direction, and I've got the tools to take care of the "less new" part. I should mention that Precision Pellet had the parts for this gun. Really glad he did.

[linked image]

Including the magazine. Thought I was out of luck.

Respond to this message   
DT Fletcher
(Login DTFletcher)
Group #188948

Re: Really like this gun

June 3 2017, 7:07 AM 

I always liked the results from Flitz polish. It brings the brass to a nice shine but doesn't turn colors over time like so many other polishes and it is safe for blueing. Followed up with a wax protection polish by the same company.

There's no telling which pellet will be right. Just takes experimenting until the right one is found.

Resealed? Probably not. Repair service for these models was always spotty. The national service station system didn't come around until 1956 and up till then the only option was to ship the gun back to the factory. By the '60s, service was just about impossible. It's only been with the revival of the vintage Crosmans, and shops like Precision Pellet and MAC-1, that the parts have become widely available again.

Respond to this message   
Scot Laughlin
(Login classicalgas)
Group #188948

Aging parts to better match a restored older gun

June 10 2017, 1:05 PM 

On alloy and brass parts a fine bead blast, then gently sanding by hand, wet, with 800-1000 autobody paper, will burnish the edges that would see wear, leaving the slightly roughened lower areas that would see corrosion pitting.

On steel,I'll do the same, but try to vary the distance more, to leave a more mottled, varied pitting, and follow with the fine 800 grit sanding on high points. Then cold blue.

A trick with cold blue...each formulation reacts differently with different steel alloys, so you may want to try several. The complication is that "fixing" the cold blue by boiling in distilled water will darken all of them (and more importantly, make them more durable) so determining which cold blue to use on a particular part is not trivial.

You can chemically age steel with vinegar or salt water, and the pitting patterns are more authentic, but the inside/back sides tend to suffer.

Respond to this message   

Terry M
(Login sotol)
Group #188948

I smoothed the breech in mine

June 3 2017, 8:46 AM 

Used real fine sandpaper on a wood dowel. Reduced the incidence of jamming greatly.

These rifles are unique and fun to shoot but, alas, mine is inaccurate. Seems to have tight spots in the steel barrel. I don't shoot it much, as 2"+ 20 yard groups just don't do it for me. I may get around to doing something about it, one day... either lap the barrel (some more) or replace it outright.

Crosman 118, Weaver B4 photo 2013jan001c.jpg

Respond to this message   
DT Fletcher
(Login DTFletcher)
Group #188948

blame the Korean War

June 3 2017, 12:46 PM 

Brass was declared a restricted war essential material during the Korean War. Crosman had little choice but to start using steel.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Start  
Find more forums on Air GunsCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
This forum dedicated to all that enjoy collecting and restoring airguns. Have fun. Dave