<< Previous TopicReturn to Start  

Benj 342 on auction

May 20 2017 at 5:05 AM
DT Fletcher  (Login DTFletcher)
Group #188948

An apparently NOS, complete with all the lit., Benj 342 is up for auction and looks to be setting some sort of record on price. With 4 days still left, it's at $405.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/UNASSEMBLED-Vintage-Benjamin-342-Air-Rifle-With-Original-Box-Warranty-Cards-/322522377675

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Bill
(Login shootmore)
Group #188948

wow

May 21 2017, 6:53 PM 

That is one nice expensive 342.

Respond to this message   
DT Fletcher
(Login DTFletcher)
Group #188948

Still going up! Now at $710

May 22 2017, 3:26 PM 

Sort of hard to believe. $710 now bid and 2 days to go.

Respond to this message   
John Thomas in Spokane
(Login jcl08)
Group #188948

Did you happen to see the Benjamin 317 and (if I remember correctly) a 3120

May 23 2017, 3:50 PM 

that where listed a few months back with "Buy It Now" prices of $2,000,000, and $200,000,000 respectively? The seller also wanted $25 each shipping as I seem to remember. He also accepted paypal. He later relisted the 3120? at a more reasonable sub-$100 starting bid.

Respond to this message   
DT Fletcher
(Login DTFletcher)
Group #188948

Re: Did you happen to see the Benjamin 317 and (if I remember correctly) a 3120

May 25 2017, 6:45 AM 

Missed those. I've seen similar types of listings in the vintage Nikon auctions where sellers go "fishing" by putting super high prices on their items.

I've learned to keep an open mind on values. Some years back, a gentleman put up a rather ordinary looking Crosman 101 on Ebay with a starting price of $200. I took the time to write the seller that his pricing was out of line with reality.... ended up selling and for more than $200!?

And, note here that I saw the $400 price as being a record maker and the darn thing ends up over $1500!!!!!

I've long felt that vintage airgun values were below their true worth and that Ebay was the only way to establish some real-world market values. The Blue Book of Airguns, from the beginning, only reflected the guesstimates of a select few collectors (Which included me, so I understand exactly how it was all done.)

Respond to this message   
DT Fletcher
(Login DTFletcher)
Group #188948

Sold! $1,525.00

May 25 2017, 6:35 AM 

final price realized was $1,525.00

Respond to this message   
Frank B
(Login FrankBpc)
Group #188948

I was going to outbid that BUT.........

May 27 2017, 2:20 AM 

I wanted one that was assembled!!!! LOL

Plus the Nigerian Prince hasn't sent me my cut yet.happy.gif

Respond to this message   
James V
(Login kimo57)
Group #188948

For that price, I would rather buy a Sheridan A or a B

May 27 2017, 5:30 AM 

I know a few guys that have NOS barrels. You can still find nice 342's & 347's for 1/4 the winning bid.
Your stock should not be made of only walnut.

Respond to this message   

dave
(Login arathol1)
Group #188948

Re: Benj 342 on auction

May 26 2017, 12:18 AM 

Ebay is a very unscrupulous place.
Don't believe everything you read on the internet.
[linked image]

Respond to this message   
DT Fletcher
(Login DTFletcher)
Group #188948

Re: Benj 342 on auction

May 26 2017, 11:10 PM 

A Benjamin 342 selling for $1500 is news to anyone interested in vintage American airguns, regardless of what views one may have of Ebay.

As I have previously mentioned, one the of the biggest cons in vintage airguns is the Blue Book of Airguns (I know, since I was a participant in establishing those values.) There were very few real world basis for any Blue Book valuations. Because of this, values realized on Ebay for vintage airguns have more integrity.

Respond to this message   

dave
(Login arathol1)
Group #188948

assuming of course

May 27 2017, 12:51 AM 

the auction was legitimate, the gun was actually sold, and there was no shill bidding with the intent to drive the price up. Would not be the first time, won't be the last. Its pretty common in some circles.
[linked image]

Respond to this message   
DT Fletcher
(Login DTFletcher)
Group #188948

Re: assuming of course

May 27 2017, 2:01 PM 

I make no such assumption. Could this be a sham auction? Sure. However, there are always fees associated with Ebay and jacking up this auction to $1500 will have cost the seller a significant amount of money. For what purpose somebody would do this in the vintage airgun market escapes me, however.

Of course maybe this guy found a bunch of NOS 342 in a warehouse and decided to try and jackup the vintage airgun market. If so, we'll see some more come out of the woodwork. As it is, like I'm sure a few others have thought, do I still have that boxed 342 in the collection? Had one at some point but will have to start digging to see if it is still hanging around.

And, like I said before, I've always felt that the prices associated with vintage airguns on the whole was suppressed by a restricted market. A vigorous vintage airgun market on Ebay, just might kick prices up to levels never before imagined. Note that airgun sales have been allowed on Ebay only for the last year or so. We'll see what happens.

Respond to this message   

Trevor
(Login tca)
Group #188948

With startling lack of foresight

August 16 2017, 6:33 AM 

I 'watched' similar old Benjamins on the back-shelf of a general store(Ricketts) at Te Awamutu.Year in and year out. The boxes faded to primrose.They just were not 'movers'. The store joined a nation-wide paint distributor. Sports goods simply disappeared. What on earth was I waiting for? ;-(

Respond to this message   

<< Previous TopicReturn to Start  
Find more forums on Air GunsCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
This forum dedicated to all that enjoy collecting and restoring airguns. Have fun. Dave