<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Start  

Photobucket catastrophe

July 4 2017 at 6:59 AM

Garvin  (Premier Login Garvin2)
Group #188948

As some of you may know, the pic hosting site Photobucket.com has changed its terms, meaning that millions of free account holders can no longer link to the pics they’ve uploaded to PB on forums, blogs etc.

PB apparently has 10 billion images stored by 100 million account holders, most of them free and not paid-for, so this is a big deal.

It's not surprising they want to offload the cost burden of hosting so many pics for no return, but the way they've gone about it could hardly be calculated to hit their brand harder.

Under the new terms of service published last weekend, these so-called ‘3rd party links’ (otherwise known as hotlinks) are not included in any PB paid-for account except the $399 a year subscription!

This means that the millions of pics across the internet showing things like illustrated step-by-step engine/bike/car/gun rebuilds and restorations have been replaced by ‘upgrade your account’ type images instead.

This colossal act of vandalism has left the Web like a Swiss cheese – full of holes where there should be solid information.

So how does it affect us here on the AVA? Well, unfortunately many fine threads have been left without pics. For example the wonderful thread on FWB 65s by Mike Driskill (the one that inspired me to collect these pistols) has been decimated.

Mike has three options: he can leave the thread as it is, he can try and find the original images, upload them to another pic host and reconfigure the links on that thread to point to their new location, or he can pay up the $399 and have the links restored.

PB may yet reverse itself once it realises that most of its account holders mainly wanted them for the embedding function rather than to store images. Or it may not.

For those of us with lots of images displayed on forums, we face moving them – at enormous cost in time spent – or paying the ransom. Or we could just walk away.

Many people will say ‘I told you so’, 'Photobucket has been terrible for years’, ‘Imgur is much better’ [for now] and so on. But while its website has become an ad-choked hell-hole, until now PB’s embedded pics have escaped completely.

Once you’ve spent hundreds of hours uploading to PB, it’s not easy to just abandon that investment and start again elsewhere.

If PB holds firm, the internet will gradually recover, and the broken links/damaged threads will slowly become less significant, as in fact the holes in threads created by the demise of Imageshack years ago have done.

But the hard work of millions of people will have been lost forever.

Edit: PB has extended 3rd party hosting for the cheaper paid-for plans until the end of 2018:

"Please review the latest changes at Photobucket.
Posted by Photobucket Support+ on Jul 6, 2017 in Uncategorized | No Comments

1. Why Photobucket?

Photobucket is the global destination for linking and 3rd party hosting. In
Photobucket’s 14-year history, the Company amassed over 100 million
registered users, over 15 billion images stored, 2 million daily uploads
and 60 billion photos accessed monthly.

2. What is 3rd Party Hosting?

Photobucket defines 3rd party hosting as the action of embedding an image
or photo onto another website. For example, using the tag to
embed or display a JPEG image from your Photobucket account on another
website such as a forum, Etsy, eBay auction listings, a blog, etc.

3. Benefits of Photobucket’s 3rd Party Hosting

Easy to Use – Upload a photo from any device and copy the embed code with
one click to host a photo with no development or technical knowledge
required
Competitive, fixed pricing
Offers the only unlimited 3rd party hosting plan (Commercial and Personal
Use)

3rd Party Hosting Specifics

1. What plans offer 3rd Party Hosting?

Only the Plus 500 plan supports 3rd Party Hosting
Upgrade to Photobucket’s Plus 500 Subscription by visiting   span class="link">http://photobucket.com/pricing
ohttp://photobucket.com/p500

2. What do I get with the Plus 500 Plan?

Unlimited 3rd Party Hosting
Unlimited Bandwidth
Full Resolution Photo Storage (We do not compress your images)
High Capacity Storage
Dedicated and Priority Customer Support
Photobucket.com Promotional Opportunities

3. What users are affected by the changes to our 3rd Party Hosting
policies?

Moving forward, new and legacy free account users will NOT have third party
hosting available.

If you were a Plus Account subscriber in good standing as of June 1, 2017,
you will continue to have all the privileges you have enjoyed including 3rd
Party Hosting until December 31, 2018 as long as you maintain your
subscription.

Non Plus 500 Account subscribers that purchased after June 1, 2017 will not
have access to 3rd Party Hosting.

4. Are my pictures still safe?

Yes! All your photos are still available by logging into your Photobucket
Account. Photobucket has only restricted the ability to view your photos on
3rd party sites.

5. Can I download my Photos?

Absolutely, at any time. It is an easy four step process:

Step 1. Login to your Photobucket Account

Step 2. Navigate to your library page

Step 3. View a photo and click the download button

Step 4. The picture will be saved to your computer

For our official statement please click here"
"\"xSQ4Z)FI\\t\""

This message has been edited by Garvin2 on Jul 7, 2017 10:09 AM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Cory
(Login mnsty)
Group #188948

I use SmugMug, have for years

July 4 2017, 10:42 AM 

I think I pay 50.00 a year. I HATE PB.

Respond to this message   
MDriskill
(Login MDriskill)
Group #188948

A pain indeed...

July 5 2017, 5:46 PM 

...I can still access all my pics, and still email pics or albums (though accompanied by furious pop-up assaults), just can't hotlink them. I'm trying to be philosophical about it--not entirely unexpected from a free source I suppose.

This weekend I played with Google Photo, Flickr, and PostImage, and am having trouble figuring all of them out, frankly, especially if or how hotlinking is available. If there is some easy way to move stuff from PB to another source, any insight would be much appreciated...

Respond to this message   

db
(Login Diamondback)
Group #188948

Brother MDriskill, some imgur picture help. I responded to your request for imgur help

July 8 2017, 8:03 PM 

on the yellow. To help you get your wonderful pics back online is to help all of us.

This post should help you complete tasks in imgur:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/79537/message/1499042258/Fellow+Air+Gunners+switching+to+imgur%2C+some+helpful+info+for+you

Feel free to email me with any questions (In fact, anyone can feel free to email me with questions about imgur & I'll share what I know.)

If I don't know the answer, I can certainly help look for the answer.

[img][linked image][/img]

PhotoBucket has caused us all quite a loss. We need to try to undue some of their damage.

imgur has been easy to set up, free, & once you figure out a few basics, easy to use.

One of the main problems I see with imgur is they use hidden drop down menus, so you have to move your mouse / cursor to certain spots to access these drop down menus.

The most important drop down menu / options are hiding at your login name.

Move your mouse over your login name & choose an option to do most of what you want to do in imgur.

[img][linked image][/img]

This message has been edited by Diamondback on Jul 8, 2017 8:40 PM

Respond to this message   
MDriskill
(Login MDriskill)
Group #188948

Thanks DB!!

July 10 2017, 6:27 AM 

I encountered some weirdness when attempting to reply to your post on the other forum. It was made a "sticky," so I could not reply directly, and then I wrote a separate reply--which never appeared on the forum. Whether some technical glitch or deemed "non airgun related" by the moderators, I don't know.

I very much appreciate your doing this. I do have an Imgur account, and had figured out some of these things, but not all!

Part of my issue is that Imgur appears quite different on the screen in the iPad app, than when opening their site on a PC. I have yet to figure out how to get to my albums on the iPad, which is my usual weapon for forums.

Respond to this message   

db
(Login Diamondback)
Group #188948

You're very welcome! I see. I use a desktop. Never tried an iPad.

July 10 2017, 4:36 PM 

The more we fiddle with it the better we'll get at it.

Kind Regards,
db

Respond to this message   

db
(Login Diamondback)
Group #188948

Does this help with your iPad?

July 18 2017, 10:40 PM 

Respond to this message   
DT Fletcher
(Login DTFletcher)
Group #188948

Re: Photobucket catastrophe

July 5 2017, 8:18 PM 

I've been using Flickr but when I'm gone and no longer paying the fee, all of my picture posts will also disappear. From the beginning, I've never liked Photobucket or used it.

Respond to this message   

Andrew
(Login AndrewR7)
Group #188948

I too just been hit

July 10 2017, 8:44 PM 

with a $399 bill for my PB account, bastards, that means we'll all lose our forum pic's forever and have to start over.

I'm currently saving all my photo's on my computer to try to find a new host but I can't see adding them back into already established posts will be possible.

Will try IMGUR as Diamondback suggested.

Respond to this message   

db
(Login Diamondback)
Group #188948

Once you have your pics copied / downloaded to your computer,

July 11 2017, 7:34 AM 

you will have them copied to your computer.

Once you upload them to a new picture host, you will have them on your new picture host, & you will still have a copy on your computer.

Don't try downloading them 1 by 1 from photo bucket, download them by the album / folder.

Only problem is videos are not included this way, so you must go back & download them individually.

It looks like the only way to go back & replace your pictures in your old posts is to access each old post & edit it, adding the new pic link from your new pic host.

Seems to me there must be an easy automated tool for this, but I haven't found it.

Still looking...

Respond to this message   

Andrew
(Login AndrewR7)
Group #188948

Thanks DB

July 11 2017, 6:08 PM 

just finished, all onto Imgur seems far better and much much quicker to upload photo's than bucket.

Thanks for the advice.

Andrew

Respond to this message   

db
(Login Diamondback)
Group #188948

You're very welcome. nt

July 11 2017, 7:48 PM 

nt

Respond to this message   

Trevor
(Login tca)
Group #188948

Deleted my account...

July 11 2017, 12:26 AM 

then got a message warning my account will be deleted on the 12th! Some folk like to be in control ALL the time.

Respond to this message   

db
(Login Diamondback)
Group #188948

I was warning people against deleting their accounts, because

July 11 2017, 7:11 AM 

their pictures were still available for viewing with a few extra clicks, on the PhotoBummer website.

Alas, they have even disabled that, so the pictures are just plain gone.

The damage is crazy.

I was looking up info on a long discontinued airgun last night & was directed to gobs of sites that showed the dreaded "update your PhotoBummer account" pic in place of the airgun image.

Seems like there should be something we can do to stop the loss, but after reading the PhotoBummer terms we agreed to eons ago, not.

Lesson learned, when you find a post that's valuable to you, take the time to copy & paste it into a document on your computer, images and all, & save it. Takes a few extra seconds, & uses up a little storage on your computer, but having the info is great.

This message has been edited by Diamondback on Jul 11, 2017 7:12 AM

Respond to this message   

Trevor
(Login tca)
Group #188948

Photos

July 11 2017, 7:10 PM 

Pretty sure all the airgun pics I had at PB are also on my site...

cinedux.com

This message has been edited by tca on Jul 11, 2017 7:10 PM

Respond to this message   

db
(Login Diamondback)
Group #188948

Oh man, I love your site! Sometime ago I found it & posted on The Yellow.

July 11 2017, 7:47 PM 

Many members loved it too.

Nice!

This message has been edited by Diamondback on Jul 11, 2017 7:47 PM

Respond to this message   

Trevor
(Login tca)
Group #188948

Thanks,DB!

July 12 2017, 6:05 AM 

nt

Respond to this message   
Jim in PGH
(Login 144man)
Group #188948

I am reminded of something I heard about the internet

July 11 2017, 4:06 PM 

If it's free on the internet, YOU are the commodity.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.

Respond to this message   

Garvin
(Premier Login Garvin2)
Group #188948

Dave B?

July 13 2017, 3:27 AM 

I see the Photobucket link to the pic on the AVA home page header has been cut.

Has anyone had any contact with Dave Barchent recently?

I emailed him to offer to host a new pic and send him the link and so far the email hasn't bounced back. But I realised it was 2012 that we last spoke...
"\"xSQ4Z)FI\\t\""

Respond to this message   
FourRings
(Login FourRings)
Group #188948

Unfortunately, all of my links are now dead

July 13 2017, 9:23 AM 

I'm leaning towards moving to SmugMug.

The tougher decision is whether to go back and repair selected threads. Over the years, contributors to this and other forums have created so many posts that document the uniqueness of the AGs we enjoy. Personally, I've found the information and pictures to be very enjoyable valuable. It's hard to imagine not having that access anymore. Over the years, I've tried to create a few of these picture-laden threads that others would find valuable over time. Unfortunately, without the pictures whatever value they had is now diminished.

Some have lobbied Photobucket to allow all past hotlinks, and apply the new policy to new hotlinks. As much as I hope they adopt this policy in order to mitigate their PR mess, I doubt they'll do it. They lose all leverage if they do. Of course, they're losing many, many users regardless.

In any case, I need to decide if I can/want to go back and migrate photos to a new hosting site, and then update the links in old threads. Sigh.

Respond to this message   

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Start  
Find more forums on Air GunsCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
This forum dedicated to all that enjoy collecting and restoring airguns. Have fun. Dave