<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Start  

Lanes BB pellets for Daisy

September 11 2017 at 4:23 AM
DT Fletcher  (Login DTFletcher)
Group #188948

Can't recall seeing this type before. Certainly collectable for any BB collector: English made BB pellets for Daisy.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lanes-Daisy-Air-Rifle-BB-Pellets-200-Box-V-Good-Vintage-Old-Stock-/152695983932?hash=item238d63cf3c:g:uIAAAOSwGhZZsubk

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Andrew
(Login AndrewR7)
Group #188948

Thanks Dean

September 11 2017, 11:11 PM 

I love the way you find those interesting links.

Now I know these collectables shouldn't be used BUT would these suit my Remington 26.

I would only use some to try maybe a dozen or so.

I've put about 6 steel BB's through it until someone here on this forum told me they were made only for lead BB's as the steel might damage the catapult system as I understand it.

I can't get down here in Australia lead BB's even gone through all the shot cartridge sizing and there just isn't the correct 4.35mm available.

I'm guessing they are .175 like normal BB's and not .177

Thanks,

Andrew

This message has been edited by AndrewR7 on Sep 11, 2017 11:12 PM

Respond to this message   
DT Fletcher
(Login DTFletcher)
Group #188948

Re: Thanks Dean

September 12 2017, 3:21 AM 

I personally have no problem with shooting collectable ammo through collectable air guns. Why the hell not?

Here in the US, tubes full of the old air rifle shot (yes, .175") show up on Ebay on a fairly regular basis. I lucked out some years ago when a BB tube collector (BB tube collecting exists outside of BB gun collecting, it is an offshoot of shotgun shell collecting because the tubes were made on the same machinery) purchased a 25 pound sack of Winchester Air Rifle shot and gave me something like 5 pounds of it just to get rid of it.

One of my other collections is metal squirt guns, some interesting variations of which exist in Australia and New Zealand. If you find me something interesting, I might be able to find some of that old Winchester BB stock.

Respond to this message   

Andrew
(Login AndrewR7)
Group #188948

I'll keep an eye out

September 12 2017, 8:54 PM 

if I come across any metal squirt guns, my other interest is similar to yours, antique and vintage cap gun collecting which I've put a small sample of my guns onto the AVA link page 'Toys that Shoot'

http://www.network54.com/Forum/482057

I even came to the US back in 2012 specifically to attend a 'Toy Gun' fair to buy up and most of all meet up with the biggest collectors in the country, an experience I'll treasure for the rest of my life.

Respond to this message   
DT Fletcher
(Login DTFletcher)
Group #188948

Re: I'll keep an eye out

September 13 2017, 2:48 AM 

Starting back in the '80s, I would attend numerous gun shows and antique shows in the Northwest area. My main focus was always vintage air guns but, pretty much by accident, became interested in metal squirt guns. My introduction was "It's a Daisy" where a Daisy metal squirt gun was mentioned. I had never heard of such a thing but just a couple days later I found one at a local flea market.... of course, a Daisy. After that, it was game-on. I was at about 70 or 80 variations when Charles Best, author of Cast Iron Toy Guns, contacted me and asked if I was interested in the metal squirt guns in his collection. Best had decided to concentrate on pre-1800 models and decided to sell off any 19th century guns and the squirt guns. Can't remember how much I paid but it was about 75-80 models with the majority being different from what I already had. So, rather early on, I had more than 150 different metal squirt guns and could claim to have the World's Largest Collection. Today, it's something over 250 models. Still picking them up off eBay. This last year I've probably obtained 3 or 4. They have to be very special for me to purchase one today.

One of the other fun aspects of this collection is that they have been produced in so many countries.

Respond to this message   

Andrew
(Login AndrewR7)
Group #188948

There's another book

September 14 2017, 6:05 PM 

waiting to be written by you, seems you are the number authority on not only American air guns but antique squirt guns.

An amazing mix of knowledge here on this forum.

Thanks,

Andrew

Respond to this message   
DT Fletcher
(Login DTFletcher)
Group #188948

Re: There's another book

September 15 2017, 6:00 AM 

The problem is, other than me, nobody else really collects them. There are overlaps though. Most metal squirt guns are dirt cheap; however, if it's also a space gun then the price immediately skyrockets! (pun intended)

At some point, I do hope to take good pictures of the entire collection and put together a picture book.

Some years back, had the collection displayed in the front windows of a local shop. It was the only opportunity I've ever had of seeing the entire collection at one time. Had lots of fun talking to folks who showed interest. My opening line was usually, "It's the World's Largest Collection of Metal Squirt Guns." It was fun to talk to people about, what everyone agrees is, a very interesting collection.

On a few days, I also brought some metal squirt guns along and have squirt gun fights outside the store. These, of course, were old school squirt gun fights, since you only got one shot per fill up!

Here's a video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvX1ETJHqwk

Respond to this message   

Andrew
(Login AndrewR7)
Group #188948

Thanks for the tour,

September 16 2017, 5:38 PM 

good thing you filmed it as it's rare to get all ones collection together at once.

Your a man of many talents and an important member on this forum for us to learn from.

Thank you,

Andrew

Respond to this message   
Bruce
(Login usaf25)
Group #188948

Old Display

September 16 2017, 7:57 PM 

Many, many years ago I had a display of water guns at a local gun show. It included the Daisy Demoulin set with the water dipper that I got from Arni Dunathan. The title of my display was "HIJKLMNO GUNS". Of course I had several questions, what is HIJKLMNO. Simply, it is the letters H to O. What is the formula for water - H2O.
I thought it was a unique approach. However I can not take credit for it as I saw it on a Bazooka Joe bubble gum comic.

Note, there is presently a water dipper on ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Daisy-DeMoulin-Water-Dipper-for-Initiation-Water-Gun-Very-Rare-/332382021102?hash=item4d638325ee:g:NUoAAOSwXfBZhSW6

Respond to this message   
DT fletcher
(Login DTFletcher)
Group #188948

Demoulin

September 17 2017, 9:39 PM 

The Demoulin set is one that I have never acquired. Been offered a set (might have been from Dunathan contact but it's been so long I can't really recall) and I've seen a nice set for sale. The price point just puts it out of my metal-squirt-gun budget. I got into metal squirt guns because in many cases they are sold so cheaply compared to other antique toys. For the most part, about $100 is my upper range. For the same reason, the space/ray gun portion of my collection is far from being definitive.

Some years back, there was a camera setup as a squirt gun which I sort of recall also being Demoulin. Recall going deep at something like $200 or so and got outbid by a large margin.

Although I am almost certainly the most active metal squirt gun buyer in the world, I have my limits.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Start  
Find more forums on Air GunsCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
This forum dedicated to all that enjoy collecting and restoring airguns. Have fun. Dave