<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

Walthers at the Hickory show

November 5 2017 at 12:04 AM
No score for this post
MDriskill  (Login MDriskill)

For this old grumpy collector's money, the best eye candy at the Hickory airgun show, was this marvelous display of eight classic Walther target rifles, that Tom Strayhorn brought. I hope he won't mind my showing them off here:

The overall display:

[linked image]

Older guns on the left side--LG 51, 52, 53, and 55:

[linked image]

[linked image]

Newer ones to the right--another pair of 55's and two stunning LGV's. Check out the double-set triggers on the LGV Tyrolean...airguns just don't get any cooler than that, period:

[linked image]

[linked image]

NOTHING BUT GORGEOUS! Thanks Tom!

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Frank
(Login rokarf)

Gorgeous, and ..............

No score for this post
November 6 2017, 5:00 AM 

They are getting rarer and rarer.
Where I first saw many of them in the weekend online auctions, now even the standard LG55 are getting thinner on the ground.

----------------------------
Frank

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.
Garvin
(Premier Login Garvin2)
Garvin

Just lovely, Mike!

No score for this post
November 6 2017, 7:58 AM 

Thanks for posting these pics. Beautiful display, Tom!

Very interesting LG53 1956 with stock-mounted diopter - first time I've seen one of these transitional rifles I think.

Frank is absolutely right about the supply of these old Walthers drying up, in Germany at least. I monitor eGun.de quite closely and few LG55s/LGVs turn up compared to a few years ago. Hardly any double set trigger models come on the market nowadays and when they do they tend to be the more common LG55 version. happy.gif
""

david
(Login dvdrit)

thanks for sharing

No score for this post
November 6 2017, 4:44 PM 

I like these older Walthers, so beautifully made and with remarkable smooth cocking and pleasant shooting manners.
I find their straight back recoil very controllable and thus easier to shoot accurately. I have two of them, an LG55 dst and an LGV 55 with tyro stock.
Thanks for sharing:)

MDriskill
(Login MDriskill)

Further notes...

No score for this post
November 10 2017, 6:32 AM 

I posted this on another forum, where Mr. Strayhorn came back with a couple details I'd missed while looking at them in person! sad.gif

1. The LG 52M, second from top on the left, also has double-set triggers (VERY rare. The DST unit on the early Walters is quite different from the one used on the LG 55 and LGV, too).

2. The LG 55, second from top on the right, has a one-off factory custom stock. It's ambidextrous, with cheekpieces on both sides. The original owner worked for Walther!

This message has been edited by MDriskill on Nov 16, 2017 11:44 AM

airgunbuff
(Login airgunbuff1)

wow

No score for this post
November 16 2017, 9:04 AM 

very nice,,, thanks for sharing !!

Gaines Blackwell
(Login jessie2)

Merry Christmas to all of you !

No score for this post
December 22 2017, 6:16 PM 

Seeing Tom's beautiful Walthers is a Christmas present in itself ! Just wanted to say hi to everyone but great to also see these guns.. If I had it to do all over again I would have collected nothing else, LG 51'a to LGVS's . Should have listened to Tom. Mike, thanks for posting them.

When I got out of the airgun business I kept one gun, an LGVS Jr. It is like they made it for me and it very newish except it needs a seal. Bought one but never gotten around to putting it in. Maybe a new years resolution (:

A few months after getting out I received two more Walthers from someone I dealt with in Germany. I had told him to be on the lookout and our relationship was so good he would buy and ship then email me a price. Always a joy. I got a really fine LG 52 DST, what a little beauty and a 53 DST, both rare as mike pointed out.. The 53 has great metal but some idiot sanded the finish down and oiled it. still a great shooter. I also discovered under the gable two dissembled LG 55's and a bunch of parts that I honestly forgot !@!!

Been busy designing houses, have two underway and another for next year plus now two chromium-cobalt knees, two cadaver inner corneas, and hearing aids !!!! I promised my wife I would retire, again, at 80 ! If I last that long ! LOL

Many good memories here, the best, but I am living proof you can quit! I also answered, literally, what is the one airgun you would keep. I need to put that seal in !

Warmly,

Gaines

Garvin
(Premier Login Garvin2)
Garvin

Great to hear from you, Gaines!

No score for this post
December 22 2017, 6:55 PM 

The one who got away... most of us are hooked for life. LOL.
""

TStray
(Login TStray)

Gaines you old codger, we have all missed you a bunch !!

No score for this post
December 22 2017, 8:15 PM 

It is always such a treat when you check in, glad to hear you are doing well and staying active.

Walthers have been a passion of mine for many years and like you my contacts in Germany helped out with my collecting habits.
The good old days are long gone but it is still possible to get them over here, my last two Walthers were found last spring.
The oh so elusive LG52 and the LGV Tyro pictured were just too rare and in such good condition I could not pass them up.
It did not hurt that they were both DST models, a first for me after many years of doing without one.

All the best to you and yours old friend.
Tom
"Love them Walthers"
Hell I love them ALL

Tom Strayhorn
Catawissa Missouri

This message has been edited by TStray on Dec 23, 2017 10:00 AM

MDriskill
(Login MDriskill)

Merry Christmas Gaines!

No score for this post
December 25 2017, 7:24 AM 

It's great to see you here!

Hope all of you have a Merry Christmas down in the loveliest village on the plains, and my offer to put that seal in for you still stands, LOL!

Take care!

Frakor
(Login rokarf)

Best wishes Gaines

No score for this post
December 25 2017, 2:13 PM 

Glad to hear you are still going strong, my old friend. happy.gif
With all the replaced parts you are just like Lee Mayors ( six million dollar man). LOL
Better and stronger then all of us, but lakking the airguns ..........

------------------------
Frank

airgunbuff
(Login airgunbuff1)

wow

No score for this post
December 29 2017, 2:31 PM 

Good to see and hear from Gaines.... still working !! The man will live to be 100 years of age if he keeps up his present pace !! I wish all here a great new year and continued good health in 2018
Happy new year gents
kindly
ron

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  
Find more forums on Air GunsCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2018 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
This forum dedicated to all that enjoy collecting and restoring airguns. Have fun. Dave