<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

Cortina d'Ampezzo airgun

December 13 2017 at 6:37 AM
No score for this post
DT Fletcher  (Login DTFletcher)
from IP address 24.20.40.8

The Celje Regional Museum came up with a high res picture, and some more info, of this bad boy.

Cortina d'Ampezzo w- info

total length 910 mm,
length of gun barrel 458 mm,
caliber 9,8 mm

I suspect that the loading method was by unscrewing the barrel and carefully fitting a ball into the breech, which would explain the large flat on the barrel.

With a relatively small .38 caliber, carefully fitted and patched ball in the breech, I think this guy would have excellent performance potential.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Garvin
(Premier Login Garvin2)
Garvin

Thanks for the pic DT

No score for this post
December 13 2017, 7:33 PM 

Just to add here what you said on the airgunbbs: "It is marked "Cortina d'Ampezzo" which is the hometown of Bartholomew Girardoni."

happy.gif
""

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.
DT Fletcher
(Login DTFletcher)

Re: Thanks for the pic DT

No score for this post
December 13 2017, 10:11 PM 

Thanks. By the time I got around to this post, I was thinking more about performance rather than it's interesting history.

Airguns known to have been constructed in Tyrol are extremely few and far between. They just don't exist in Tyrollean museums, for reasons I've explained before. Cortina d'Ampezzo was burned to the ground during the Napoleonic wars in retaliation for continued resistance. Then, anything that escaped that were burned on orders from the American army at the end of WWII. Two of the only three known Tyrollean air guns are located in museums outside of Tyrol. The other one is located in Cortina d'Ampezzo and appears to have been built by the apprentice of Girandoni (that unique airgun that demonstrates how to achieve variable power in these airguns)

I did remember to forward this picture and info to the museum director in Innsbruck.

DT Fletcher
(Login DTFletcher)

Museum's response

No score for this post
December 24 2017, 9:33 PM 

The regional museum of Slovenia sent me a Xmas email stating that they will take more pictures of this historic airgun and send them to me in the New Year.

Certainly something to look forward to.

And, yes, Cortina d'Amprezzo was the hometown of Girardoni.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  
Find more forums on Air GunsCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2018 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
This forum dedicated to all that enjoy collecting and restoring airguns. Have fun. Dave