Kootenay's play without the puck,

by jaquestrap

from what I saw, is a great combination of swithching between an aggressive forecheck and a passive neutral zone coverage. I think it is remarkable that they are able to know when to do each one. That has to be very frustrating to play against.....at times they're all over you and at other times they back off. Besides that, it seems that they are able to outmuscle the Tigers defence regularly, while the Tigers aren't able to do that to the Ice very often. I think Medicine Hat is a faster team but in my opinion, the Ice are far, far, superior in supporting the puck. It's made them better in all 3 zones, and you can't call that the 'trap'. All WHL teams use similar defences and Medicine Hat (and Saskatoon) have played against these 'systems' all year. What I see the difference to be is that the Ice have been remarkably consistent and ALL of the players are sticking to the script. As a group, all they have to do is break down 1 of their opposition players and they're back with the puck ...... it happens over and over again. I'm not sure how much of it is coaching, or player maturity, or discipline ..... but I do know you have to have a lot heart to play that way so consistently and unselfishly.

Posted on Apr 23, 2011, 11:22 PM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Find more forums on WHL TeamsCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

This RingSurf Major Junior Hockey Fan Forums Net Ring
owned by Board Moderators.
[ Random Site | List Sites ]