re: it wasn't that long ago that MH was the laughing stock

by hoople head

I'm sorry but you are quite frankly being delusional. The tigers have been a good team for a decade now. And frankly in the world of sports that's a very long time. In the world of junior hockey that's an eternity. In that time they've won the league twice. Once on a batch of players that came from the top of the draft. Not too hard to do. Once on a group of players that were primarily taken deep in the bantam draft, something very hard to do. More than that they've been competing year after year, and to the best of my memory have had first round home ice advantage every year. Think about what sort of accomplishment that is.

More than that look at the players they've developed in the last 8 years. Darren Helm, taken in like the 7th or 8th round of the bantam draft. Willy molded him into one of the top junior players in the world and arguably the best two way player in the CHL when he was playing. He is now a mainstay on what is perennially one of the best NHL clubs in the league the red wings. Russell was also taken in the 8th round of the bantam, nobody gave him a chance to be what he turned out to be. WJC standout, named CHL d-man of the year, and now NHL defenceman. There are other success stories. Prospects remember this sort of thing. They know that the coaching staff is more or less the same and want that sort of mentorship.

The tigers success in the last decade was twofold. First they won the WHL with good picks. Nice but nobody really is all that impressed by something like that. Then after those guys left without a period of rebuilding they won the WHL again with a group of guys that were taken late in the bantam. More than that the group of guys taken late in the bantam were a better overall team than the club full of early first rounders. That is something that prospects everywhere know about.

Moose Jaw has not even managed to do the first part of that. All moose jaw has done is build a new arena. You probably enjoy the fact that the place is new, there is probably plenty of washrooms and concession stands to make the experience a little nicer. But prospects don't give a rip if the fans can go to the potty and buy beer and nachos easier. They all want to go somewhere that will help mold them into better players, and they want to play for coaches that have a history of helping players go to the NHL. I'm sorry but Moose Jaw has a long way to before they can compete with Medicine Hat in that category. To suggest that they are is retarded, as they have so far to go in that department. You've got alot of banners to hang and obscure 8th rounders to mold into WJC/NHL standouts before you can claim that.

-----------
[linked image]

"Now you wear your skin like iron
Your breath's as hard as kerosene"

Posted on May 1, 2012, 9:39 AM

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home
Responses

1. Not a pissing match. Old Vet, May 1, 2012, 9:46 AM
    1. you are right about one thing. hoople head, May 1, 2012, 10:18 AM
      1. Better check the rest of the players on those teams. Old Vet, May 1, 2012, 10:27 AM
        1. I don't know what you are talking about. hoople head, May 1, 2012, 10:37 AM
          1. Don't remember mentioning 07 or any other year for that matter. Old Vet, May 1, 2012, 2:06 PM
            1. Cherry draft picks can set you up for about 4 seasons. hoople head, May 1, 2012, 6:58 PM
      2. .. ., May 1, 2012, 1:02 PM
        1. Your obession with Portland is edging on creep status. HawksFan4Life, May 1, 2012, 1:25 PM
          1. I'm not obsessed, but,.... Hugh Jorgen, May 1, 2012, 1:45 PM
            1. Technically. HawksFan4Life, May 1, 2012, 2:21 PM
  2. The part below i have copied ..... Old Vet, May 1, 2012, 9:54 AM
    1. re:dressing room, video room, training facilites, weight room. hoople head, May 1, 2012, 10:29 AM
      1. Like I said. Old Vet, May 1, 2012, 10:33 AM
        1. And I am hoping. hoople head, May 1, 2012, 10:40 AM
  3. LOL @ Helm being the best 2-way player in the CHL when he was playing.. Pepper Carrot, May 1, 2012, 1:00 PM
    1. not defensively he wasn't. hoople head, May 1, 2012, 1:21 PM
      1. Dont just stare at a stat sheet. Pepper Carrot, May 1, 2012, 5:04 PM
        1. You're just still buttsore. hoople head, May 1, 2012, 6:55 PM
          1. Re: You're just still buttsore. Pepper Carrot, May 1, 2012, 7:38 PM
            1. reasoning with you. hoople head, May 1, 2012, 9:24 PM
              1. Your memory failed you again. Pepper Carrot, May 1, 2012, 9:41 PM
                1. It's unfortunate. hoople head, May 1, 2012, 11:03 PM
        2. alot of people that saw him this playoffs might say otherwise. Some_Arrogant_Jerk, May 1, 2012, 7:28 PM
          1. Ha.... Pepper Carrot, May 1, 2012, 7:33 PM

Find more forums on WHL TeamsCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

This RingSurf Major Junior Hockey Fan Forums Net Ring
owned by Board Moderators.
[ Random Site | List Sites ]