well ,well ,wellby ram30
Couple years ago the debate was swirling about the WHL recruitment system and how much it was driven by $$$$
I stated that I had first had knowledge of a specific team offering a specific player a six figure sum to switch from Tier 2
to major junior.
Long time posters on this sight called me out because I would not give the direct source of this information.
Well it was true then as it is now-----money talks---and blue chip players are offered big money to offset the loss of a scholarship should they leave the NCAA.
Hey it is what it is ----but the WHL starting its recruitment/propaganda machine with kids going to WHL sponsored camps---the year before they are even eligable for the bantam draft points to the fact that their influence is becoming all pervasive.
Major Midget tinkering (such as the Victoria Royals recently) is another example of this interference.
I suggest that if minor hockey programs are not geared to mass participation( and exactly the opposite tack from major junior and its monied elitist proclivities) that you will see an ever weakening hockey landscape at the grassroots level in Canada.
If the Major Junior teams funelled this graft money into the local minor hockey programs and were able to keep territorial rights to the players developed maybe that would strengthen local associations.
Something has got to give --as the rich teams are only tempted to get richer-and the rest struggle to survive.
All I see the last few years is Major Junior buying influence to the detriment of overall developement.
Hockey Canada's answer is to hold their hands out for a cheque while changing rules that hurt JR B and JR A franchises---(as far as player age eligability etc is concerned.) that again weakens the grassroots developement system------talk about biting the hand that feeds you!
Posted on Aug 12, 2012, 7:43 AM
Respond to this message
Goto Forum HomeResponses
- Question for you. Billetdad, Aug 12, 2012, 1:29 PM
- what can I say?. ram30, Aug 12, 2012, 2:12 PM
- NCAA route is not part of the Hockey Canada Development model... Red and White, Aug 12, 2012, 3:27 PM
- Put up or SHUT UP. Trophy connoisseur, Aug 12, 2012, 3:38 PM
- Yeah hate that and johny come lately new names out of the blue. HOMER, Aug 15, 2012, 11:08 AM
- OK now I can smell what you're cooking.. hoople head, Aug 12, 2012, 3:59 PM
- to clarify. ram30, Aug 12, 2012, 5:37 PM
- I'm not saying you're a liar. hoople head, Aug 12, 2012, 10:40 PM
- money is no object. ram30, Aug 13, 2012, 8:42 AM
- It wasn't turris was it, I know he was offered 6 figures, plus a new car for mom and him. bruinshockey, Aug 13, 2012, 10:23 AM
- I have connected the dots. hoople head, Aug 13, 2012, 3:42 PM
- Re: what can I say?. billetdad, Aug 15, 2012, 11:49 AM
- Well it did leave a trail. ram30, Aug 15, 2012, 7:25 PM
- Re: Well it did leave a trail. billetdad, Aug 16, 2012, 10:55 AM
- There is no evidence even against the spitfires. Facts&only FACTS please, Aug 16, 2012, 1:39 PM
- Yes, look at the facts. charleyincharge, Aug 20, 2012, 8:51 PM
- I added up all of your facts. F&OFP, Aug 20, 2012, 10:19 PM
This RingSurf Major Junior Hockey Fan Forums Net Ring
owned by Board Moderators.
[ Random Site