Read More Postings!  

Re: whitney houston gone

February 15 2012 at 12:08 AM
No score for this post
new york fan  (no login)

Response to Re: whitney houston gone

geez, what a can of worms i opened up. if houston is a nig-nog, what am i a spic-and-span? darryl hall and todd rundgren, really?

but racism and insensitivity aside, i do agree with one point. for the last 25 years pop/r&b/soul singing has been reduced to what i call the "gospel scream" school of singing. i blame it all on patty labelle who started the "gospel scream" style around 1985. what is the "gospel scream" style? it's where the only thing that counts is belting out a song at the top of your lungs, holding the highest note possible, for the longest time possible. this and only this has become the definition of a great voice. mariah carey, celine dion, christina aguilera, jennifer hudson, whitney houston, all the singers that are considered great, are guilty of this one-dimensional, overkill style.

in todays musical environment i dont think a majestic song like "the first time ever i saw your face" as done by roberta flack, would stand a chance at becoming a hit song. nuance,subtlety, sensitive, intelligent, surprising, delivery has all but dissapeared. thank god for the breath of fresh air of adele, although her lyrics are filled with too much self-pity, her voice and delivery are truly soulful.

last night i listened to shirley bassey giving a rendition of "what are you doing the rest of your life?" on youtube, michel legrand on accompanying piano, talk about truly great singing! none of today's so called "divas" can come close to that kind of singing!

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses