<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Renwal Self Propelled Howitzer Reissue

March 24 2011 at 8:47 AM
  (Login djnick66)
HyperScale Forums
from IP address 199.27.129.93

I picked this kit up yesterday...

[linked image]

Despite the comments in this brief review, which seem to imply some new figures (as also discussed on Plane Talking as Revell considered airbrushing out the crew shown on the box art and not having any figures).

http://www.cybermodeler.com/news/revell.shtml

Here is what you do get...

The box art is very well done and the large, fairly sturdy box replicates the Renwal Blue Print series box lid and side panels. Tantalizingly they show a drawing of the Atomic Cannon and photos of the Nike Missile and Skysweeper AA gun.

This is a fairly large kit in 1/32 scale and the pumpkin orange plastic parts come in two large bags. Molding is pretty rough, as there is a lot of flash on pretty much every part. Lots of mold knock out pin marks too. Of course they are all in obvious places like the inside of the doors and hatchs. Some are impossible to fill, like the ones inside the entrenching spade, in between all the rib detail! And, yes, you get the pretty awful Renwal figures. They are not even as good as old Marx toy soldiers of the same vintage.

The original Renwal kit had pretty bad tracks, and these are the same for the reissue (expected) although the soft black plastic seems pretty nice and the tracks should lay a lot better on the model, as the old ones were super stiff and springy (and would also crack).

The kit says you get two decal options... I guess this is technically true except you get two identical sets of markings, just one in black and one in white. Use the white ones, as the M55 was in service from the 50s through the early 70s and did not use modern style low vis markings (the black stars are giant anyway as its the same sheet as the white ones). The white decals don't match the original kit decals either (much simpler sheet with less markings and detail). They don't obviously match the box art.

Instructions are sadly not the original Renwal style either. The kit, like all of the Renwal tanks, had "no show cement" instructions. The kits were engineered in a way where in most cases the glue joints were hidden if you applied cement where indicated in blue ink on the original instructions. The box still talks about the no show design, but no mention of the original assembly sequence and no show areas are in the simple instruction sketches. The painting guide is basic and somewhat inaccurate as they show a 1980s MERDEC style camo pattern, when most service M55s would be OD.

Post War US tanks seem to be a pretty dark OD. In past years, I used Pactra OD, which is now no longer available. Tamiya now has a nice shad in both acrylic jars and spray paints... JGSDF Olive. Yup, Japan Ground Self Defense Force Olive is a nice match for the dark US shade from Vietnam.

Not a "bad" reissue but its to bad the original instructions and decals are not included. Obviously the kit is aimed at an older audience who remembers Renwal from 50 years ago, so I dont know why Revell felt they needed to include childish, modern instructions. Obviously the retro stuff works well for Moebius, Atlantis, Monarch etc. who put out Aurora style kits with the old type instructions and artwork.

MSRP is about $29 USD. Its not cheap but its 2011 and not 1962 either. It is a limited reissue as well.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login spindrift59)
HyperScale Forums

Yep, picked it up today

March 24 2011, 10:13 AM 

It is EXCITING to see old vintage art and the name RENWAL. Although i don't remember Renwal that well, it's something I've been looking on the internet and at old kit shows.
I had the Revell reboxing of the Patton, want one with the original box art (Mort Kunstler, I think).
Atomic Cannon would be awesome with original box art!
REVELL, ATTENTION: Keep the old figures in these reissues- they are a major part of the appeal, honestly since these are not realistic, accurate display models in the first place. KEEP THE FIGURES! Nostalgia sells, no matter how good the kits are!
Yes, old reprints of the original instructions can be put in these kits as an EXTRA....that would work!
Polaris subs by Renwal very collectible on Ebay. A reissue with the Thomas Jefferson or one of the others would be very very wanted! Outstanding art!
Gary

Respond to this message   

(Login djnick66)
HyperScale Forums

Reissues

March 24 2011, 12:22 PM 

New figures would be a huge help as the kit figures are awful. Revell amended the molds and removed them for the last run of the Patton and Bulldog under the Matchbox name.

The Submarine was out not long ago from Revell Germany.

Respond to this message   

(Login spindrift59)
HyperScale Forums

New Figures? Nawwwww

March 24 2011, 2:33 PM 

That would miss the point of a fairly good reissue of a fair but not good kit. Toy-like mostly so if you are going to do a repro box and such, the kit should be complete with everything originally issued, including the decals (why they dropped the ball on that I don't know)
Anyhow more power to those who want better figures, plenty of those to go around. I'm happy they did a "complete " reissue of the molds.
I just don't see Revell putting $$$ into new tool figures for such a kit anyhow.

Respond to this message   

(Login djnick66)
HyperScale Forums

actually finding 1/32 to 1/30 artillery crew is hard

March 24 2011, 3:16 PM 

Weird scale. Revell did similar figures for their reissues of their old Huey Cobra and Monogram's 1/24 Huey Gunship. They updated the old kit with some new parts. Its not a bad idea.

Respond to this message   

(Login rgronovius)
HyperScale Forums

It was one of the coveted kits of my youth

March 24 2011, 10:33 AM 

My friend's older brother had almost all of the Renwal kits. Us youngsters were stuck with the Aurora or even the old Lindberg rubberband powered kits.

The Big Shot was one of the kits I bought in the 1980s during the Revell History Marker's series releases. I brush painted it in an approximation of the box art photos' desert camouflage scheme using Testors and Patra paints (and the little white brushes).

I was not impressed with the kit then (it did not meet my expectations from my youth). I had just started building the Tamiya and 1980s Italeri kits. Those were much better models for my money.

RobG

Respond to this message   
Ron M
(Login ronsm)
HyperScale Forums

Most of Renwal models missed the mark on detail

March 24 2011, 6:34 PM 

and accuracy, but most of their models were also unique, nobody else did the howitzer and only one other company did the Atomic Cannon. And, at the time, I think it was the only M-47 being done. Nobody cared about the detail and accuracy like we do now, because we didn't know any better. There weren't a lot of model magazines or books that covered the subject, and certainly no internet. It was good enough for us kids at the time. People shouldn't be buying these thinking they will have a state of the art model. That would require a complete retooling.

Respond to this message   

(Login rgronovius)
HyperScale Forums

I know what's in the box

March 26 2011, 9:36 AM 

All I'm saying is that 28 years ago I bought one with all sorts of grandeous memories from my childhood and the kit didn't live up to the memories I had back then. It didn't even compare with the Italeri kits I was building in the early 80s.

I've long since bought one of the History Maker series releases a few years back on eBay. I know what's inside the box and have no such expectations any more.

RobG

Respond to this message   

(Login jinxx1)
HyperScale Forums

I hope those side panels are a clue to future releases

March 25 2011, 3:49 PM 

and not just a representation of the old boxes.

CB

http://www.angelfire.com/dc/jinxx1/Desrt_Wings.html

Respond to this message   

(Login djnick66)
HyperScale Forums

old box nt

March 25 2011, 4:39 PM 

nt

Respond to this message   

(Login jinxx1)
HyperScale Forums

Gee, I was just hoping.

March 26 2011, 11:02 AM 

I would like to see the Ajax and Skysweeper available again.

CB

http://www.angelfire.com/dc/jinxx1/Desrt_Wings.html

Respond to this message   

(no login)

Ah, my youth as well...I want the Skysweeper!

March 25 2011, 5:10 PM 

I had a Renwal Skysweeper -- never finished it (I think it was too complex for my the-plane building mind)

I'd pick one up just for kicks.

Respond to this message   

(Login mini_mortar)
HyperScale Forums

The first model...

March 25 2011, 7:25 PM 

where I painted the interior... only. I figured that the outside only needed the decals. happy.gif

Would be cool to build this one again.

Thanks,
Kevin Keefe
http://www.mortarsinminiature.com

Respond to this message   

(Login traveler55)
HyperScale Forums

walked in the hobby shop and said

March 26 2011, 4:06 PM 

the collectors are cryin right now

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Renwal Self Propelled Howitzer Reissue
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Posting or replying to messages on Tank Talk requires visitors to register:

1. First you will need to register with Network 54, the Forum provider. Click here to register with Network 54. (If you already have a Network 54 Login you can go straight to the next step)
  2. Then, while signed in to Network 54, you can sign up for HyperScale's forums. Click here to sign up for HyperScale's forums.

Your user name and password will give you full posting privileges to all of HyperScale Forums.

Please note a few points of etiquette. First, would all contributors please use their real name and/or their actual e-mail address. All contributions are welcome but please refrain from political or abusive comments. These posts will promptly be removed from the server. Off-topic posts will also be removed from the server. Repeat offenders will be blocked from accessing all of HyperScale's Forums.

In addition, "Tank Talk" is not a forum for the public criticism of the models that appear as Galleries or Articles. Please make any suggestions for improvements or criticism direct to the author via the email link at the bottom of the Article.

Finally, please note that this Discussion Group is privately operated and that I reserve the right to delete any post for any reason whatsoever.

free counters