<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Anyone know if the Russians used mine rollers in Berlin?

October 26 2011 at 10:20 PM
  (Login JimmytheBull)
from IP address 174.253.195.90

Had a PT-34 project in mind but I'm finding little info on. I would like to put a mine roller on a T-34/85 with Berlin invasion markings and bedspring armor on however I cannot locate any information documenting wether or not they were used. I would assume that they (the Russians) would have used them at some point on the road in but really would like some sort of proof since this will be a contest project. I intend to use the old Kirin mine roller kit on a Dragon T-34 with a full blown interior and really don't want to get "dinged" by a judge for being historiclly inaccurate.

Thanks

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(no login)

Hmmmm...

October 26 2011, 10:34 PM 

It looks like I've found a WWII T-34/76 with a PT-3 mine roller... can't say about the 85s though.

http://www.wwiivehicles.com/ussr/tanks-medium/t-34-85.asp

Respond to this message   

(no login)

never mind

October 26 2011, 10:36 PM 

It is a T-34/85

Respond to this message   

(Login didiumus)
HyperScale Forums

Nice find Kevin, and you're right - the T-34/76 was much more common as a carrier

October 27 2011, 7:26 AM 

I haven't seen too many photos of the T-34/85 as a mine roller.

If you want to do the model in Berlin, I suspect the T-34/76 would be more appropriate.

As to contests, check this link out:

http://www.bluegrayrenegades.org/blueridgearmorgeeks/bragphotos.html

Scott Gentry

Respond to this message   

(Login djnick66)
HyperScale Forums

Never saw one

October 27 2011, 5:22 AM 

Not sure how effective (or cumbersome) the mine roller would be in downtown urban Berlin. The bedframe armor is also rather specific... not sure a combat engineer tank would have had that either.

Respond to this message   

(Login schlichtr)
HyperScale Forums

Probably not in Berlin proper but...

October 27 2011, 12:05 PM 

definately in the initial attack such as Seelow. Once the Soviets broke through the initial German defenses, the German fell back so quickly that they really didn't have time to lay effective mine fields thus the Soviets really had no need for them at that point.

Roy

Respond to this message   

(no login)

Re: Probably not in Berlin proper but...

October 27 2011, 7:59 PM 

Awsome info guys, thanks for the help. Now that I think of it the T-34/76 makes more sence as an engineering vehicle. Does anyone know at what point the Russians decided to apply the bed spring armor? Was that something done earlier in the war or was it more exclusive to just units moving on Berlin?

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Anyone know if the Russians used mine rollers in Berlin?
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Posting or replying to messages on Tank Talk requires visitors to register:

1. First you will need to register with Network 54, the Forum provider. Click here to register with Network 54. (If you already have a Network 54 Login you can go straight to the next step)
  2. Then, while signed in to Network 54, you can sign up for HyperScale's forums. Click here to sign up for HyperScale's forums.

Your user name and password will give you full posting privileges to all of HyperScale Forums.

Please note a few points of etiquette. First, would all contributors please use their real name and/or their actual e-mail address. All contributions are welcome but please refrain from political or abusive comments. These posts will promptly be removed from the server. Off-topic posts will also be removed from the server. Repeat offenders will be blocked from accessing all of HyperScale's Forums.

In addition, "Tank Talk" is not a forum for the public criticism of the models that appear as Galleries or Articles. Please make any suggestions for improvements or criticism direct to the author via the email link at the bottom of the Article.

Finally, please note that this Discussion Group is privately operated and that I reserve the right to delete any post for any reason whatsoever.

free counters