<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Tamiya Sd.Kfz. 250/3 "Greif" WIP

April 15 2012 at 6:59 AM
  (Login djnick66)
HyperScale Forums
from IP address 65.32.61.47

This is the old Tamiya kit with some help from Dragon. At one time, Jaguar offered a set of detail parts for the Dragon 250 kits, and since I have those parts, I can rob the appropriate leftover pieces from the Dragon kit to use here.

The biggest failing of the Tamiya kit are the tracks, which are horrible. Oddly, this was about the first kit to include gluable link and length tracks, but by today's standards they are garbage. To fit new tracks, you need some new roadwheels to accomodate the proper size track guide horns, which are too wide for Tamiya's skinny center wheels.

Fortunately, fitting the Dragon wheels took minimal work. I just had to redrill the center roadwheels and the front wheels to fit the Tamiya axles. Nothing is glued in place yet.

[IMG][linked image][/IMG]

Tamiya's front suspension is not bad, and is posable. Tamiya's wheels were not too bad but the Dragon ones have better and more accurate tread detail, as each wheel/tire is made up of 3 parts versus the simple 1 piece Tamiya wheels.

A detail I never saw anyone ever mention with the 250/3 kit is the thick ledge around the hull top. This is, I am sure, leftover from Tamiya's 250/9 kit as the ledge is required to help fix the roof to that model. But, for the /3 version, it has to go. Cutting the ledge away reaveals an issue with the thickness of the hull side, which is thicker below the ledge than above. A lot of sanding and filing is needed here. The side to the left has not been corrected in the photo.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Mike R
(Login MRiedeman)
HyperScale Forums

Dave thank you for the tips....

April 15 2012, 8:18 AM 

I have a Tamiya 250/3 Grief in the stash, been there a number of years and God bless you for sanding/filing that ledge off....I bet that was a job. Mike

Respond to this message   

(Login djnick66)
HyperScale Forums

thanks

April 15 2012, 8:22 AM 

Yeah the ledge is a pain. Thats why in the photo only half is done. Actually I did want to take a photo showing before/after. But I am not eager to work on the other side. It does make a huge improvement, though.

I think now I will use some Archer weld seam decals on the body joints when I get around to that part of construction. A big issue with this kit and quite a few German halftrack and armored car kits is that the upper hull should overlap the hull sides, but the kits have the armor meet at a point with no overlap. The bottom should intersect the overhanging top armor in a sort of T joint.

Respond to this message   

(Login djnick66)
HyperScale Forums

the "ledge"

April 15 2012, 4:09 PM 

You know it may actually be on the real vehicle. It does not show on some wartime photos I was looking at, but it is on the half tone manual illustrations in the old Spielberger German Halftrack vehicles book...

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Tamiya Sd.Kfz. 250/3 "Greif" WIP
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Posting or replying to messages on Tank Talk requires visitors to register:

1. First you will need to register with Network 54, the Forum provider. Click here to register with Network 54. (If you already have a Network 54 Login you can go straight to the next step)
  2. Then, while signed in to Network 54, you can sign up for HyperScale's forums. Click here to sign up for HyperScale's forums.

Your user name and password will give you full posting privileges to all of HyperScale Forums.

Please note a few points of etiquette. First, would all contributors please use their real name and/or their actual e-mail address. All contributions are welcome but please refrain from political or abusive comments. These posts will promptly be removed from the server. Off-topic posts will also be removed from the server. Repeat offenders will be blocked from accessing all of HyperScale's Forums.

In addition, "Tank Talk" is not a forum for the public criticism of the models that appear as Galleries or Articles. Please make any suggestions for improvements or criticism direct to the author via the email link at the bottom of the Article.

Finally, please note that this Discussion Group is privately operated and that I reserve the right to delete any post for any reason whatsoever.

free counters